Help! My successful Visa Chargeback resulted in Ebay limiting my account! Not Fair!

Nov 21, 2006
An $100 item I won was sent by my seller without Signature Confirmation, Fedex left it on my doorstep when I wasn't home. I live in Harlem. You can guess what happened to the package. I never got it and Fedex does not have proof that I received it, just proof that their driver said that he "delivered" it (i.e. left it on my doorstep.)

Called Fedex, who told me that they do not have any signature on file for the delivery - but only the Seller can file the claim. Seller was uncooperative. I filed a Paypal claim, but they ruled in the Seller's favor because they don't require that items under $200 need Signature Confirmation. I am left with no product, no refund.

Had no recourse but to file a Chargeback with my Visa. They ruled in my favor, and refunded me my money. 1 week later, I receive an email from Paypal saying that my account was now "limited". I can't send any money, but I can still receive money. Figures. Email said that to get my account restrictions lifted, I need to pay back to Paypal the Chargeback amount that my Visa CC awarded me. I have over 600 feedback & a score of 99.7%, and this is how they treat me. I am a seller, who can't sell unless I give Paypal money back for something I never received. Can they do this? It is so not fair a business practice, do I have any recourse? Help! I don't know what to do.

If you can receive money then why can't you sell on ebay? It sounds like they just don't want you to buy anything.

I don't have any advice. It doesn't sound fair at all though.

How much was the item that was stolen?

$100 was the amount of the item, no small change.

& Paypal lets you still receive money because they make money off the interest in your account. They won't let you send or withdraw money, see? So even if you sell something and get paid for it, you can't access your money! They are such a monopoly and scam! Also, my Ebay fees can't be paid via Paypal anymore (this is the only form of payment Ebay accepts), and my account with Ebay is also now in jeopardy. They find every way to get the Chargeback amount back, so all you ladies out there that think a CC chargeback will solve your problems once Paypal rules unfairly in someone elses favor, think again. This is all a huge system of how Paypal bullies you into doing what they want, at your expense.

PayFoe does have a pseudo-monopolish dictatorship on fBay. It is what it is, and there's nothing you can do about it. Regardless of your reasons--fair or not--you filed and won a chargeback against PP, so of course PP is going to limit your account. If it didn't, it wouldn't be PayFoe.

The reason they've limited is because they treat all CC chargebacks like unauthorised transactions. They have to assume your account has been compromised. Just call Paypal, send them ID if requested and get the limitation lifted.

Not necessarily. Once you file a chargeback you become a less desirable and riskier customer for PP. In most of these cases, they do not lift the limitations. Remember that as far as PP is concerned, OP might have gotten away with the money and the item, as there's no proof that she didn't get it--FedEx shows she did.

I do agree with you 100% that OP should call. When I see posts like this, I tend to assume that the person has already tried calling PP before starting the thread because that's the first thing I would do upon receiving such an email. But there's no mention of a call in her post, and she should definitely give it a try. Good call.

An $100 item I won was sent by my seller without Signature Confirmation, Fedex left it on my doorstep when I wasn't home. I live in Harlem. You can guess what happened to the package. I never got it and Fedex does not have proof that I received it, just proof that their driver said that he "delivered" it (i.e. left it on my doorstep.)

Called Fedex, who told me that they do not have any signature on file for the delivery - but only the Seller can file the claim. Seller was uncooperative. I filed a Paypal claim, but they ruled in the Seller's favor because they don't require that items under $200 need Signature Confirmation. I am left with no product, no refund.

Had no recourse but to file a Chargeback with my Visa. They ruled in my favor, and refunded me my money. 1 week later, I receive an email from Paypal saying that my account was now "limited". I can't send any money, but I can still receive money. Figures. Email said that to get my account restrictions lifted, I need to pay back to Paypal the Chargeback amount that my Visa CC awarded me. I have over 600 feedback & a score of 99.7%, and this is how they treat me. I am a seller, who can't sell unless I give Paypal money back for something I never received. Can they do this? It is so not fair a business practice, do I have any recourse? Help! I don't know what to do.

WTF? What is strange is since Paypal acknowledges that you have chargeback rights on CCs it is silly that they are trying to make you repay it. Do not use your Paypal account any longer because the reason they are still letting you RECEIVE money is likely so they can snatch it and "recover" their losses.

Did the seller purchase insurance on the original item? I would call FedEx again and speak to a supervisor. Also indicate to Paypal that the seller refused to file a claim with FedEx on your behalf.

Likely to get you nowhere though. So sorry this happened.

The seller is responsible for ensuring that the item reaches the hands of the buyer (not just their doorstep!), safely, so the fact that signature confirmation isn't required, is irrelevant; as protective measures such as signature confirmation, tracking and insurance are all to protect the seller, not the buyer.

Therefore, unless there was some sort of evidence that the package was successfully delivered (i.e. that it was put into your hands or, at the very least, that it entered your home) PP should have found in your favour and if they had done so, the chargeback would never have had to have happened.

The fact that they have sided with the seller on this is a very worrying development, IMO... :s

Definitely call them - something has gone horribly wrong here.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good advice everyone, I will def call Paypal again about the limited account access they imposed on me since I won my Chargeback from my CC.

I couldn't believe it either that they ruled against me in the initial Paypal claim. I called FEDEX and even they admitted that they have no proof that the package was ever signed by me or even entered my house. I had no recourse as a receiver to file a FEDEX claim, the seller was completely unresponsive. I called Paypal initially to tell them of this situation after I emailed them all the information, the rep I talked to was very sympathetic and said that he woud note that I never signed for the package, but guess what, less than an hour later I received an email that said my case had been closed.

I have hope that with my follow up call that I'm about to make, someone could help me at Paypal, but I have this nagging fear that Karmen may just be right. No one is protected on Paypal, their 1st priority are their profits.

The seller is responsible for ensuring that the item reaches the hands of the buyer (not just their doorstep!), safely, so the fact that signature confirmation isn't required, is irrelevant; as protective measures such as signature confirmation, tracking and insurance are all to protect the seller, not the buyer.

Therefore, unless there was some sort of evidence that the package was successfully delivered (i.e. that it was put into your hands or, at the very least, that it entered your home) PP should have found in your favour and if they had done so, the chargeback would never have had to have happened.

The fact that they have sided with the seller on this is a very worrying development, IMO... :s

Definitely call them - something has gone horribly wrong here.

It doesn't really work that way. The seller is responsible for ensuring the item is delivered--that's it--not for making sure it's on the buyer's hands or entered the home. If the tracking status shows as "delivered," the seller is OK, and, honestly, should be OK. Otherwise, sellers would have to deliver items in person. Based on what the OP posted, FedEx f#cked up here, and the seller was an a$$ for not pursuing a claim with the carrier.

Everything that Karmen said here is correct. Your situation is illuminating because we often say in this forum if your paypal protection hasn't covered you then at least you can do a charge back. These are serious repercussions for a chargeback.

The person who really screwed you was the seller for not helping you with the fedex process.

My paypal account was frozen for this same type of situation - after a few weeks I received an email from them and was instructed how to lift the freeze.... the same email was on the first page of my papal account also - I followed the steps in the email and my account was functioning again. It just took some time.

The seller was sent out the item over 3 weeks late, and then didn't respond to any of my emails for 3 weeks after that. By the time the case ended negatively for me, my window period to leave Neg Feedback was gone. I really am fair when it comes to feedback, and wasn't going to Neg the person prematurely, but it ended up hurting me, as I wasn't able to comment on the seller's performance. I was super frustrated with that, cuz now future customers won't have my situation as reference when working with the seller.

Either way, yes, this definitely is an eye-opener for those who shop on Ebay with credit cards. We've all been under the impression that we can pursue a credit card chargeback if Paypal didn't come through for us, but this situation shows that this isn't the case at all. You're pretty much bullied by Paypal & Ebay if you initiate a Chargeback, and are banned from using their services if you do. This is the FIRST chargeback I've ever done, I didn't know it would turn out like this at all. I'm going to call Paypal after I get off of work, but going by how unhelpful and unfair they've been, I think I'm going to have to pay them the $100 if I still want to be on Ebay.

Thanks girls, for all your words of encouragement. & YES, the seller was an A$$ for not taking responsibility for filing that Fedex claim, leaving my hands tied.