Help- My Makeup Brushes/Bristles Feel Sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.

marbella8

O.G.
Jan 27, 2009
I came to use my blush brushes the other day, and noticed they feel like they have a sticky feel to them. I tried to wash them with the shampoo I normally do, and they did not get any better. I think I need a natural degreaser, or something stronger to get the sticky oil off, please help!
TIA!

I use MAC's Brush Cleanser. Once, my brushes felt sticky after I accidentally sprayed hairspray on them (the nozzle was pointed the wrong way & coated everything on my vanity :P ). The MAC brush wash took care of it & all of my brushes felt new again.

You can get the cleanser for $12 from MAC online or in department stores that sell MAC cosmetics.

I use regular shampoo or very mild hand soap on all of my brushes. I'm not sure about Aubrey Organics, but it may be sulfate free, and I think to clean your brushes if they're sticky, you probably need something with sulfates.

Also, I heard clarifying shampoo might do the trick. If it doesn't, I think I might need a degreaser? Are there any that can be used on makeup brushes? Usually they are not for th eface, but for household products? TIA again.

Mar

I use the same shampoo and condition I use for my hair.
It works well.
I have very sensitive skin and is allergic to a lot of brands, so I just stick with one that doesn't irritate my skin.

I know a lot of shampoos and conditioners can contain too many moisturizing ingredients, since human hair needs a lot of moisture. Those ingredients can be damaging to makeup brushes. I've been using Equate (WalMart brand) baby shampoo for years and it's been working like a dream.

EnKore makeup on YouTube also has a great recipe for making your own brush cleaner that is sure to disinfect and really clean the bristles.

To get the grease off, lather them up with dish washing liquid and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Rinse, then use whatever you've been using. Liquid castile soap also works very well at removing oil/grease, but if yours are resisting shampoo, you should definitely use a dish washing detergent before you use anything else. HIH

Yes, Dr. Bronners (Liquid Castile Soap) saved my brushes after I stupidly used cleansing oil to clean my brushes, which was a disaster!

This is the only stuff I use, since it's cheap and effective. Works great on brushes and the beauty blender sponges. You used to be able to buy it at Target, not sure if it's still sold there though. I think CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid also sells it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.