HELP!!! My dog needs a doggie shrink

Oh, poor guy! I know this may sound weird and not related to the renovation, but does he maybe need to have his nails clipped? Sometimes longish nails can make a doggie hesitant to walk on non-carpeted floors.

A few years ago, we got a dog from a rescue group who had severe emotional problems. We had a dog therapist come to our home once a week for a while and she worked with him, us and our other pets too. She was quite helpful in assimilating him into our household.

After that positive experience, I whole heartedly recommend a therapist for upset pets.

Good luck to you and Nitro!

Thanks all for the repeated advice!!!

Great progress this am!!! I added another runner rug by the back door and he followed me right in the house! He fell by the back door, so if he feels more comfortable in that area, he seems to be doing much better! We are going to keep working on him :yes:

I will take more pics of a little more confident Nitro later!

LeeLee- he just had his nails clipped! But thanks for that advice too! I hope he will overcome this himself, but I am sure my mom would get a doggie therapist- my dad would not be so keen on that at all :amuse:

Sorry this has happen, I had the same problem with all my Newfoundlands and one of my English Setters is like this now. They slip on the floor then will not enter the room as feel unstable in their footing. They only way I have found round this is to lay mats down, which is a pain as it spoils the look of a room but its a small price to pay if the dogs are happy. They walk fine on the mats at they have something to grip to. Most dogs hae slippery surfaces, wooden floor, tiles are all slippery while most dogs do not mind some do particular after falling

I know it sounds ridiculous - How about doggie shoes? So first let him wear all 4, eventually remove the 2 on the front paws, and then the 2 on the back paws.

I totally agree with the putting down the runners. You might even want to consider a cheap carpet so that he feels comfortable moving about the room again. In fact, it might be a good idea to cover most of the area. After some time, you can slowly reduce the area of carpeting and see if he will actually step onto the wooden surface.

When my dog was a puppy, a canopy in the back yard fell and a heavy 10 ft metal beam came crashing down (missed me by inches) and one end smashed into the metal gate we have on the back door. My puppy was staring out at me in the yard through the gate at that time. He was so traumatized he pooped on the floor and ran away and hid for a long time. Afterwards he couldn't even be in sight of the back yard and gate. With a lot of encouragement and practice and reward, he got over his fear and is now perfectly fine with going through the gate, etc. However, he became very skittish with sudden noises and that was something that never went away, but he is a whole lot better. I am sure with time and a little clever management, Nitro would overcome his fear too – he is such a sweetheart and it is so sad to see him like that.

ohhhhh.....

I really do not have any suggestions..but I know the feeling to have your vet tell you your doggie needs to see the nut expert!

My eldest, Kennedy, has issues with separation anxiety(I cannot be away from him for too long..or he goes into full blown depression). Our Vet has recommended therapy with an actual Doggy Psychologist. Blew my mind! They even make housecalls...however they are not cheap in the least..and we've decided to take the medication route..and I've decided he will go with me if I'm out of town more than 2 days.

Good Luck..I hope you're baby can overcome this hurdle.

Hi Megs! First, big hugs to Nitro :heart:

I think a huge part of this is also the renovation itself...dogs are very routinized and any change to their normal routine or surroundings is highly stressful. Even having a lot of company one weekend, or something minor like that can make a dog work himself up to the point where he can have diarrhea for days! So, the weeks of renovation that have been going on are really doing a number to Nitro's stress level. That said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to talk to a dog behaviorist or trainer. I know it must be painful for you and your family to see him like this and I'll be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way :flowers:

Awwww poor Nitro i am glad you are seeing improvements. I think it will just take time for him to get use to his new surroundings.
I know with your love and support he will get there.
(((Hugs to Megs and Nitro)))
Keep us updated on your little guy.

Megs, please pass this message to your Nitro:
"Nitro, I know it must have been such a traumatic event...:crybaby:But I also know you are such a brave doggie and you are going to over come this~~~!!! Sooner the better, okay?":heart:

And also, you may have to buy him those designer doggie botties...:P (Okay, mine only let me try on the front paws...) Or maybe showing this to Nitro will encourage him to be back to himself quicker!!!:graucho:

divascarlet3.jpg

Sorry for turning your serious concern to this... I do hope he will get more and more less scared :yes:

Sounds like the poor guy is traumatized...I would try to maybe get him into the house and give him some love and his favorite treat...and try to move him into the room little by little (it may take a few days)...Just maybe coaxing him a little bit each day..
I see that hes a big guy(and a cutie pie!) but maybe you could kind of pick him up and hold him on all fours on the floor, just for a few seconds and then lay him back on his bed. It may help him realize that he's not going to fall...similar to holding a baby up and letting them test the waters...
Also, try to lay some sort of carpeting (scraps from a store) down and create a path through the room and have him walk on that...and gradually take it away...

I really hope that he gets back to his normal, vivacious self...

***Have you considered the possibility that he may have injured himself in the fall. I'm not sure how he fell..but he may have done something...Has his attitude changed at all (depressed, not eating)...I'm not sure if any of what I mentioned will help you...but I hope that Nitro gets better soon!!!

-Trish

awww:cry: so sorry Megs and Vlad. He's such a cutie!

I think he's just traumatized. Just give him lots of love and be gentle with him. My mom's Beagle got electricuted when he bit through the wire of my blow dryer when he was a puppy. He stayed in the corner for about two days and was always trembling. eventually he was back to normal but whenever he sees a blow dryer or hears one he hides under a bed.