Help! My DH bought me the wrong bag!

hjcr

Jul 4, 2009
Please help...

I have been dying to get a 32cm Kelly in Gris T.
It was going to be my first Kelly after only having Birkins.
I have been looking for a few months but it didn't come my way until...
my DH went on a business trip to NY, found it (or thought so) and decided to surprise me with it as my birthday present.

Of course I was ecstatic when I got it...:nuts:
and decided to take it out for dinner tonight.
I was in a hurry as I had to make sure my kids' dinner was ready and they were ready to be put to bed after I left.

On my way out, I glanced at the mirror and thought that the bag looked a bit bigger than I had imagined it to be but didn't think much of it.

After I got back home, I rested the kelly next to some of my birkins which were all 35... and something didn't look right.
The kelly, which was supposed to be a 32 looked exactly the same width as the 35 birkin. I frantically grabbed a measuring tape and measured the kelly... and it was, yes, a 35 kelly.:shucks::cry::crybaby:

I have already peeled off all the stickers so I can't return the bag...
but I hate the feeling of being stuck with this bag.
It's a beautiful color, but I would really rather have a 32.
I am only 5'2" so I always feel that 35 birkins are a bit big for me when I am not wearing heels.
Moreover, the 35 Kelly looks huge in a light color like Gris T.
And... I would still like to search for a 32 Kelly in Gris T... but don't think I want to have 32 and a 35 in the same color/style.

What should I do with this bag...?
What do you think are my options?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!:smile:

hjcr you must not change this bag... think of your lovely DH, it'd be really sad for him considering all the challenges of getting it. Just add a 32 to your wish list and enjoy this fab bag you got.

Don't fret sweetie. 3cm is only about an inch difference. You don't want to overstuff a kelly anyways. I would use it day/night.
Option A: Keep it and use it. It's a gift from DH. He would be happy seeing you use it.
Option B: Sell it and get a 32.

I agree that your Kelly may grow on you. Gris T is beautiful in a Kelly! When you left for your evening out, it sounds as if you were really excited about your bag and it wasn't until you meaured the Kelly that you felt she was too large. I hope that you fall in love with her! If not, I would find a reputable reseller and hope that you can recoup most of your investment.

thank you all for your kind words!

Still debating what to do but decided to give it some time to see whether it would grow on me after reading what everyone said.

I do hope that it will grow on me... but everyone's positive comment about the bag really did make me feel better. It's nice to know that someone else likes my bag, too! :biggrin:

And you are right, I should also think of my DH... he went to two different H in NY in a snowstorm! When he saw me all disappointed after I found out the size, he said that he'll go search for another one in 32 and told me not to be sad. And told me he was sorry for bringing the wrong bag... He's so sweet. I should think more about the meaning attached to the bag than just its size! :smile:

We'll see...

Last edited:
Are you stuck on a 32? Is the 35 too large or just not what you first wanted. Take it out and try to determine whether it is a bag you could love. If not, these bags cost too much to leave in the closet. Look at paragraph #2 . . .

Your options depend on your sweet DH. Is he the kind of husband who would feel hurt (even if he says he will not) if you change/sell the bag he purchased or would he merely want you to have the bag that you want? Figure that out & realize that if you sell you probably will not recoup all of your/his investment. If he is the type who will remember what you did to "his gift" you probably should keep it & use it at least when he is around. (My husband still remembers a t-shirt he purchased me that I did not like and did not wear!!)

Can't you get a store credit for it? Since you set your heart on a 32, this might bug you to no end. I personally, would keep it since it's such a beautiful colour.

Not after carrying it out, even just for a dinner, I wouldn't think...Wouldn't be very fair to the person who got stuck paying $8K for a used bag from the boutique, thinking it was a new one.

thank you all for your kind words!

Still debating what to do but decided to give it some time to see whether it would grow on me after reading what everyone said.

I do hope that it will grow on me... but everyone's positive comment about the bag really did make me feel better. It's nice to know that someone else likes my bag, too! :biggrin:

And you are right, I should also think of my DH... he went to two different H in NY in a snowstorm! When he saw me all disappointed after I found out the size, he said that he'll go search for another one in 32 and told me not to be sad. And told me he was sorry for bringing the wrong bag... He's so sweet. I should think more about the meaning attached to the bag than just its size! :smile:

We'll see...

there is not a very big difference in size and 35 kellys are all the rage

Well I think you should keep it! Not to mention that you were out with your new bag all night, and must have enjoyed carrying her only to notice once you got home that it wasn't the size you thought it was?!
Such a sweet gift- I'm sure it will grow on you!

gris t in 35 cm is a great bag i do sujest you do the following go to another store bag with out stikers dont fool anyone but say you just got it ask DH for recipt say its the way you got it and say you want a kelly and a smaller one being that it is rare you might be in luck but try it naturally if asked tell the truth all im saying is dont automatically keep it and if there is no other option it is a divine bag ! enjoy