Help! my car seat and floor is damp from window being open during overnight rain!

Jahpson

O.G.
Aug 26, 2007
I left my window open just a crack when I got home yesterday because I was going to go back out later on. Unfortunatly, I stayed in all night and completely forgot to close the window shut (driver's side).

Well, overnight a thunderstorm plus heavy rain occured and this morning when I opened my car door, my seat was slightly damp as well as the floor. I can't believe that I forgot to close the window (just the drivers side).

Right now, the weather and air is very damp and humid so there is no reason to keep the window open to air out the car.

what am I going to do? I know mold and mildew will form if it hasn't already and smell up my car (thus, competing with my jasmine scented air freshner lol)

does anyone have any tricks or advice on how to get the interior of my car to dry up and prevent the smell from forming?

Last edited:
Do you have a garage?

If so, put the car in there and open up all the windows and doors. Or do you have a wet/dry vac? Use that to suck up as much excess water as you can. If not, use towels

Do you have a garage?

If so, put the car in there and open up all the windows and doors. Or do you have a wet/dry vac? Use that to suck up as much excess water as you can. If not, use towels

ITA
and you can buy things at the hardware store for putting in rooms with high humidity, like laundry rooms or bathrooms.

They are crystals which draw moisture to them. Leave them in your car for 6 hours or longer, then heat in a low oven for an hour or two (just follow the directions on the package). Then repeat.

I would buy two sets so you can have one in the car and one in the oven or ready to use. Switch them in the morning and at night.

The crystals are usually in a net bag or just in a plastic tub that you remove the lid to use. To dry out the latter, just pour the crystals onto a baking sheet before putting in oven. The plastic tub would melt.

Besides being easy to use, they are cheap!

Prof, we had those rock crystal thingies in our basement in the states. THey were hanging everywhere ;)

If it's just damp it won't hurt your car. I'm sure we've all spilled a bottle of water or had some rain get in and nothing happened...if you do notice smells you can use a carpet cleaner to clean your seats, your floor mats and the carpeting in your car.

The wet/dry vac is a great idea as well as the crystals....if you want to do something on hand, get as much up as you can with a towel and then spread rice over the areas to absorb the moisture.

This happened to me a few years ago except it was a back window. A wet/dry vac worked wonders! Plus I left the windows open (all of them) as much as possible until it dried. I don't have a garage so I had to dodge the weather with the windows down-the weather can be crazy here! I also put new air fresheners in the car. Good luck!

if you have a carpet shampooer try sucking up the water with that. When my basement flooded I used one to suck up as much water as I could from the carpets. You might also wanna try throwing some baking soda down there too.