Help - Mold on Hermes Herbag

bagaholic88

Jan 25, 2009
Hi - I am hoping someone in this forum can provide good advice on how to remove mold from Hermes Herbag/canvas bags.

I live in the tropic and it is humid all year round. I took my Herbag out of the box and noted molds / spores on the bag. This resulted in some "discoloration" - slightly lighter shade.

What can I do? Was told that Hermes Spa won't really help?

Did H tell you a spa won't help? That sounds odd to me (but then I don't know what mould it is). You could try the 'leather nightmare' thread in the ref section of this forum.

A friend who lives in similiar climate as yours found mold growing on her Lindy. It was sent to the H craftspeople late last year and came back perfect. Please do ask anyway as I think the locally based craftsmen are very experienced at dealing with this. This is not the only case I know of, but the most recent. Canvas maybe a little more challenging but still best to try H first IMHO.

Reactions: prepster
Thanks for the comments. Another friend of mine encountered the same on her Herbag. She has sent it to Hermes. Will need 3 months so I am waiting for her Herbag to return from Spa, look at the results before I sent mine in. Was hoping there's a quicker and cheaper option from the community.

Reactions: BalLVLover
Hello there! I treated mine with a 1/4 white vinegar to 3/4 water - spraying and leaving it overnight - then putting it out to the sun to dry (inside out!) Repeat several times/days to kill the spores. Then wash in the washer on low spin cycle, low temperature. Put it out to sun to dry (inside out) If there is any smell left, spray fabreeze. This should do. I used this method on my black uncoated herbag canvas (which I unknowingly bought on eBay from Japan - I thought I would die when I opened the package!) and it worked like a charm. It has been smell and mold free for 4 years now! PS there was no fading and no color transfer during the process! Good luck!

Hello there! I treated mine with a 1/4 white vinegar to 3/4 water - spraying and leaving it overnight - then putting it out to the sun to dry (inside out!) Repeat several times/days to kill the spores. Then wash in the washer on low spin cycle, low temperature. Put it out to sun to dry (inside out) If there is any smell left, spray fabreeze. This should do. I used this method on my black uncoated herbag canvas (which I unknowingly bought on eBay from Japan - I thought I would die when I opened the package!) and it worked like a charm. It has been smell and mold free for 4 years now! PS there was no fading and no color transfer during the process! Good luck!
Using the above mentioned method, I would try 1/3 part water and 2/3 part 75% rubbing alcohol. I used it on a canvas bag and it worked like a charm, and I only needed to do it once. I wiped it with a wet cloth soaked in the water/alcohol solution.

This isn't helpful for the mold situation itself, but I noticed you mention that you took your bag out of the box and I said "aha". I live in a humid climate as well and I've been warned against keeping bags in boxes. I try to keep them in their dustbags only and air them out frequently. Keeping them in the box + dustbag tends to restrict air circulation and the humidity really takes a toll. I would bring the bag to the spa or try some of the solutions mentioned, but do make sure your bags are stored properly for your climate to prevent issues with other bags

EDIT: Woops thought it was a recent thread but I see it was necro'ed sorry!