HELP!!!! Medallion or Classic Flap??

stacala23

Apr 30, 2008
Hey everyone! I'm turning 21 at the end of August and I've always wanted a Chanel bag to purchase for myself. I have a million Louis Vuitton's and I want a change in my handbag addiction! I live in a more surburban setting and I'm not really a flashy person I just like to wear a nice handbag but I'm afraid the jumbo classic flap will attract too much attention for a young girl.... I like the medallion because it's simple and so elegant with the 2 big cc's on the front and people won't automatically think it's Chanel
but I'm not sure if it will fit on my shoulders. I love both of them-they're both so beautiful I just don't know which one to get as a first Chanel bag?

What should I do????!!!!!

Ps...It would be either the Black Jumbo Flap with Silver Hardware or I'd just get the Black Medallion!!! :]

I don't think 21 is too young to get a Chanel, I've had my first Chanel bag when I was just 16. I think you should go with a reissue camera bag or flap or a tote, try to check it out in person at the boutique near you, it is better to see which size and color you'd prefer.

I think both are fabulous classic choices ... I guess it depends on whether you like handheld or shoulder bags. The medallion is mostly handheld unless you're tiny enough to carry on the shoulder. I have both styles and love them both but I do tend to wear my medallion tote more ... I find it easier to carry for everyday. JMHO:smile:

I don't think 21 is too young either.

I would go for the flap because it's more classic than the medallion. I feel that it would last longer, look-wise. Since the flap could look edgy or classic depending on what its paired with. The C's on the current flaps aren't that flashy (not like the giant vintage XLs...), but if you're afraid of standing out too much, have you considered the reissue flaps?

A camera bag would also be another good choice you should explore. It's cute, classic, and modern looking all at the same time. :smile:

First of all ... yay for you. I wanna be like you when I turn 21, that leaves appr. 2 years for me to save up enough money for a Chanel, all sponsored by myself.

Your choices are gorgeous, I love the medallion... especially in black. But talking about the size, maybe you should go and talk to a Sales Assistant, and simply try them on? :smile:

.... and LVs are pretty gorgeous,too. But I think you should always do what you truly feel :smile: if it's another Louis you adore- get it. :smile:

I actually find the Medallion to be flashier than the Jumbo (even though I love the Medallion), because of the very noticeable logo on the front. Flaps have the Chanel chains and clasp, but the logo is functional.

I think a Jumbo flap would be perfect... it's the perfect day into (not formal) evening bag, and depending on what you pair it with, it can look classy or edgy. Plus, I always find shoulder bags infinitely more comfy than hand held bags. :P

I generally could care less what celebrities wear (especially the reality "stars" :P), but they're all in their 20s and carry flaps off well... so 21 is definitely not too young, IMO. If you truly want a low key shoulder bag, then go for a reissue... because unless you know, you really don't know haha. :P

I have a Medium Classic Flap and a Medallion and lemme just say that I wear my Medallion practically everyday. The Medium Flap I wear when I dress up at night. However, my mother has tons of Jumbos and lets me borrow them whenever I want but I still always tend to go back to my Medallion. Totes are just easier for everyday and I love how the Medallion can be a plain black bag or you can add the bling with the little medallion sticking out. I assume you are getting black? Anyway, I say get the Medallion because it can go from day to night very easily and it looks great with dressy clothes and with sweats. Make sure you get an Italy made Medallion though over the France ones ;) The Italy ones are sturdier and the handles stay standing up unlike the floppy France made Medallions.

Oh and you are definitely not too young for a Chanel bag!!

I actually find the Medallion to be flashier than the Jumbo (even though I love the Medallion), because of the very noticeable logo on the front. Flaps have the Chanel chains and clasp, but the logo is functional.

I think a Jumbo flap would be perfect... it's the perfect day into (not formal) evening bag, and depending on what you pair it with, it can look classy or edgy. Plus, I always find shoulder bags infinitely more comfy than hand held bags. :P

I generally could care less what celebrities wear (especially the reality "stars" :P), but they're all in their 20s and carry flaps off well... so 21 is definitely not too young, IMO. If you truly want a low key shoulder bag, then go for a reissue... because unless you know, you really don't know haha. :P

ITA w/you, FF. The flap is less flashier than the medallion.

Go for the Reissue if you want something understated. People in the know of Chanel will still know it's Chanel and it doesn't matter if no one else knows it's Chanel. Good luck on deciding!:smile:

Out of the two that you mention, I would choose the Jumbo. It can be worn many ways. It's perfect for all types of outfits and can be used casual or dressy. It's a very classic, never go out of style bag in my opinion.
I also think the huge logo on the medallion is quite flashy. The small simple logo closure on the flap is just perfect IMO.

Both are great bags, but if it were me I would make my decision based on whether I would get more iuse from a tote or shoulder bag. They feel different to me when I carry them. I think the flap (even a jumbo) can be carried really in almost any situation, but I don't feel the same about the tote. But that being said, there are sometimes that I absolutely want to carry a tote.

Good luck!

Last edited: