Help me with my plan of attack at H!

Agreed! My SA recently did something for me that was really above and beyond what a non-VIP (read: peon) like me deserves, and although I haven't spent a ton with him, what I have gotten has mostly been RTW, scarves, and housewares. I think that tends to show that you appreciate the brand and aren't just trying to extract their most popular items from them (don't get me wrong, I actually wanted these things). I also like to bring him small gifts as a thank you when he searches for something for me, not as a bribe in any way, but to show that I really appreciate his efforts, and I think that has been meaningful for him. Most of all, even if I am just buying something small, we have a lot of fun together and joke around and discuss things we like! It really is all about finding someone you click with. Best of luck!!

Biorin, this is really great advice. Thank you for sharing your experience! I really love the small gifts idea when the SA finds something for me! I think it's a wonderful idea :smile:

In response to the poster who said that s/he gave small gifts to his or her SA: I have been told by my SA that she and her colleagues have been warned about accepting gifts from customers as the gifts may be seen as bribes. Obviously this is not a company wide policy as others do it (and if there is anything to be learned from this forum is that there is little consistency company wide LOL). But something to think about. I think the best way to thank your SA is to buy more from your SA as he or she is making a livelihood from selling.

In response to the poster about whether to carry your birkin on your arm when you visit the store: I think one can overthink the strategy. I think the best way to succeed is what another poster has already said - show a genuine interest in the brand; be polite; find an SA you click with; buy what you love and the opportunities will come your way.

GL!!

In response to the poster who said that s/he gave small gifts to his or her SA: I have been told by my SA that she and her colleagues have been warned about accepting gifts from customers as the gifts may be seen as bribes. Obviously this is not a company wide policy as others do it (and if there is anything to be learned from this forum is that there is little consistency company wide LOL). But something to think about. I think the best way to thank your SA is to buy more from your SA as he or she is making a livelihood from selling.

In response to the poster about whether to carry your birkin on your arm when you visit the store: I think one can overthink the strategy. I think the best way to succeed is what another poster has already said - show a genuine interest in the brand; be polite; find an SA you click with; buy what you love and the opportunities will come your way.

GL!!

I've heard food items were okay, and was thinking of bringing macarons for the SAs to share. And of course I will show genuine interest for the brand, I love Hermès! :smile:

I think that there has been some fantastic advice given in this thread. When I first read the OP's question for opinions I wasn't even sure where to begin to reply. I have been collecting H for awhile and also started before having a family. Over time I have collected different kinds of bags for different purposes (mommy bags, evening, travel etc). And I have also bought other goods. I love so many of their styles so I just kept buying and trying different ones.

This is probably a repeat of what others have said but the most important thing is to buy something you will love and want to use. Hermes has so many high quality lovely things. Secondly, as Dagnypup has pointed out, lifestyles change so even though you have a toddler now she will grow up and your needs will change. What you carry now may not be what you will want to carry when they are more independent and easier to manage and out of that toddler phase.

I know that these H games are annoying. Even for long time collectors with established relationships it is frustrating. Times have changed for Hermes non-VVIP customers and unfortunately this is the way it is now. So I'm sorry to say that for the majority of customers you should assume that you will have to play the game at some point. But with that being said, as designerdiva40 said, good SA you click with is critical. It has to be the chemistry between the two of you that counts the most.

As for wearing a birkin to the store, I think others are right, there is no clear strategy or formula that works and who knows if that will help. Don't over think it. Personally I wouldn't wear a birkin on the first visit. The relationship you build is more important than showing that you have spent tons somewhere else and bought one already. Honestly, what you say and what you spend is more important. And though I can't confirm it 100%, I'm pretty sure your new sales person will look you up in the system and see your history anyway. That will probably say a lot to them and so your spending and relationship with that SA will become extremely valuable. And I think as Mindi B says, I would out right say you're looking for a B especially on a first visit.

Sorry for rambling. I think I could go on and on but I'll spare you. I don't want to pick your choice 1 or 2. The reason is because Hermes is so much fun. It's such a pleasure and fun to go in, browse and see what the season and day has to offer. Yes, it's good to have a budget and be focused but go in, enjoy it and then decide if you want something on your list or see if something else is calling your name that day.

If I have also learned anything about Hermes it's that every store is different, what they carry at any given moment and what they will have in he future is unpredictable.

Good luck!

I think that there has been some fantastic advice given in this thread. When I first read the OP's question for opinions I wasn't even sure where to begin to reply. I have been collecting H for awhile and also started before having a family. Over time I have collected different kinds of bags for different purposes (mommy bags, evening, travel etc). And I have also bought other goods. I love so many of their styles so I just kept buying and trying different ones.

This is probably a repeat of what others have said but the most important thing is to buy something you will love and want to use. Hermes has so many high quality lovely things. Secondly, as Dagnypup has pointed out, lifestyles change so even though you have a toddler now she will grow up and your needs will change. What you carry now may not be what you will want to carry when they are more independent and easier to manage and out of that toddler phase.

I know that these H games are annoying. Even for long time collectors with established relationships it is frustrating. Times have changed for Hermes non-VVIP customers and unfortunately this is the way it is now. So I'm sorry to say that for the majority of customers you should assume that you will have to play the game at some point. But with that being said, as designerdiva40 said, good SA you click with is critical. It has to be the chemistry between the two of you that counts the most.

As for wearing a birkin to the store, I think others are right, there is no clear strategy or formula that works and who knows if that will help. Don't over think it. Personally I wouldn't wear a birkin on the first visit. The relationship you build is more important than showing that you have spent tons somewhere else and bought one already. Honestly, what you say and what you spend is more important. And though I can't confirm it 100%, I'm pretty sure your new sales person will look you up in the system and see your history anyway. That will probably say a lot to them and so your spending and relationship with that SA will become extremely valuable. And I think as Mindi B says, I would out right say you're looking for a B especially on a first visit.

Sorry for rambling. I think I could go on and on but I'll spare you. I don't want to pick your choice 1 or 2. The reason is because Hermes is so much fun. It's such a pleasure and fun to go in, browse and see what the season and day has to offer. Yes, it's good to have a budget and be focused but go in, enjoy it and then decide if you want something on your list or see if something else is calling your name that day.

If I have also learned anything about Hermes it's that every store is different, what they carry at any given moment and what they will have in he future is unpredictable.

Good luck!

Hi dessert1st, thanks for your reply! You ladies are giving me a new perception. I'm going to email the SA and let her know prior to my visit the items I'm looking for(Pico or Evelyne) prior to my visit. If they don't have it, I will still go in the boutique and browse for the other things that I want! But most of all, I just want to be able to have the relationship I had with my previous SA.. So far my search hasn't been all that successful. But hoping for the best :smile:

Agreed! My SA recently did something for me that was really above and beyond what a non-VIP (read: peon) like me deserves, and although I haven't spent a ton with him, what I have gotten has mostly been RTW, scarves, and housewares. I think that tends to show that you appreciate the brand and aren't just trying to extract their most popular items from them (don't get me wrong, I actually wanted these things). I also like to bring him small gifts as a thank you when he searches for something for me, not as a bribe in any way, but to show that I really appreciate his efforts, and I think that has been meaningful for him. Most of all, even if I am just buying something small, we have a lot of fun together and joke around and discuss things we like! It really is all about finding someone you click with. Best of luck!!
Girl I had trouble reading your comment cause I was too busy staring at your macaroon pic! My favorite little bites of heaven :smile: chocolate, lemon, raspberry, caramel?? :graucho: If you're ever in LA, Bottega Louie has the best!

I agree with everyone who has said buy what you love, don't buy to play the game. I've been collecting for a long time now and I will say that the items I use the most are enamel bracelets and the Oran or Oasis shoes. :biggrin:
The Picotin and Evelyne are both great bags. I use my Evelyne more as it is more hands free/easier to carry. I'd also suggest a Garden Party (toile or leather) as they are great bags too.
If you like the china/housewares I think it might be a positive in your favor and it is gorgeous.
I think above all a love and knowledge of the brand is appreciated. Sometimes more than the amount you've spent. :flowers:

Hi dessert1st, thanks for your reply! You ladies are giving me a new perception. I'm going to email the SA and let her know prior to my visit the items I'm looking for(Pico or Evelyne) prior to my visit. If they don't have it, I will still go in the boutique and browse for the other things that I want! But most of all, I just want to be able to have the relationship I had with my previous SA.. So far my search hasn't been all that successful. But hoping for the best :smile:

Sorry! I made a big mistake in my posting. Darn iPhone typing, so bad at it. I meant to say that I would NOT out right say that you are looking for a B on your first visit. Establish a little rapport and spending history with that SA before mentioning it. Just like Mindi B said, she may think that's all you want.

Dear OP,

I have THE formula/plan that can assure you a B/K offer from your SA:

It is very important that the following items are purchased exactly as described and IN ORDER:

1) one clic clac with gold hardware

2) homeware: one cup, one saucer, one plate (any pattern)

3) at least one mahogany wood chess piece from the chess set

4) one baby item

5) two beach towels

6) 2 mens ties: one black, one blue

7) one pair of shoes (exotic is a plus)

after these items are purchased in exact order, return to the store and you will be offered a bag....

=================================================

just kidding of course :P :amuse: just have fun with your purchases and buy what you love!

Dear OP,

It is very important that the following items are purchased exactly as described and IN ORDER:

4) one baby item

5) two beach towels

after these items are purchased in exact order, return to the store and you will be offered a bag....

just kidding of course :P :amuse: just have fun with your purchases and buy what you love!
LOL! My eyes were getting bigger and brains neurons were firing fast till I read the last line. Good one :lol:

Dear OP,

4) one baby item

5) two beach towels

LOL I'm sure they SA would like the variety, this is actually a pretty good plan! But anyway I planned on getting all of the things in my wishlist this year.. I was just wondering which ones I should go for first, and was a bit nervous because although I've gotten a B and K from the H boutique before, it's been awhile since I had to start a relationship all over again!

I agree with everyone who has said buy what you love, don't buy to play the game. I've been collecting for a long time now and I will say that the items I use the most are enamel bracelets and the Oran or Oasis shoes. :biggrin:

The Picotin and Evelyne are both great bags. I use my Evelyne more as it is more hands free/easier to carry. I'd also suggest a Garden Party (toile or leather) as they are great bags too.

If you like the china/housewares I think it might be a positive in your favor and it is gorgeous.

I think above all a love and knowledge of the brand is appreciated. Sometimes more than the amount you've spent. :flowers:

I never planned to buy to play the game per say, but wanted to know which items I guess could start my relationship with the SA right and be offered a Kelly pretty soon. Mostly because Hubby really wants to buy the bag for me for our 3rd year anniversary, which is in the end of summer! Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Sorry! I made a big mistake in my posting. Darn iPhone typing, so bad at it. I meant to say that I would NOT out right say that you are looking for a B on your first visit. Establish a little rapport and spending history with that SA before mentioning it. Just like Mindi B said, she may think that's all you want.

I thought you meant that, no worries! :smile: I think I will see how it goes, depending on the SA. With my previous SA(who offered me both B and the K), I told her from the first visit that I would like a bag somewhere down the line, and she was very helpful. But I've read some horror stories on here saying the SA turned into a hulk at the mention of a B or K LOL!

Buy what you love (when it's available, as always with H!), be kind and gracious to your SA (and everyone), show your love and enthusiasm for the brand and knowledge of it, and visit consistently. That's all you can do! The rest is up to the H gods!

And GREATEST LUCK! xxxo!

Dear OP,

4) one baby item

5) two beach towels

:lol: Awesome post.