Workplace Help me think about potential second career options :)

Aug 20, 2006
Hello folks!
So, I thought I'd throw this out there for fun!
:smile:
Background:
I've got an undergraduate degree in English and Political Studies. I have a bachelors of education as well. I am currently a high school teacher. I'm very dynamic, engaging and I've got a great personality. I'm successful as an educator and well liked among my students.

I was hoping to have a child, but unfortunately, the likelihood of this happening isn't very high anymore (ivf etc etc).
So, instead of crying and feeling terrible for myself, I want to find new goals. I want to become more successful and find further gains through my job = more money, prestige, fun etc. When all of my colleagues and peers continue to go on and on about their children, I want to be able to think about my vacations, my fun adventures etc which requires a bit more cash than what I make currently.

Initially, I was going to go back to school and get a master's of education and perhaps a phd one day. I envision myself being a consultant, or if anything, being more attractive in various educational fields if I had to move.

However, instead of sinking time and money into something that may not be as fruitful, perhaps you guys might have some other ideas about what might be some great second careers to get into right now.

Another big goal of mine is to try and learn Mandarin - I know it sounds crazy! I want to be as fluent as possible. One of my small goals is I want to be hired at Van Cleef and Arpel or a high end jeweler. I love jewelry and I think I'd do well. The problem is that I think you need to practice around 5 hours a day = 2200 hours to be fluent. I'm willing to put in as much time per day as possible - taking weekends off. I want to throw myself into productive and meaningful advancements like learning new languages!

Any feedback would be wonderful!
I appreciate the varied and insightful responses that I seem to always get with the tpf community.

Reactions: Style_Baby
Hello folks!
So, I thought I'd throw this out there for fun!
Background:
I've got an undergraduate degree in English and Political Studies. I have a bachelors of education as well. I am currently a high school teacher. I'm very dynamic, engaging and I've got a great personality. I'm successful as an educator and well liked among my students.

I was hoping to have a child, but unfortunately, the likelihood of this happening isn't very high anymore (ivf etc etc).
So, instead of crying and feeling terrible for myself, I want to find new goals. I want to become more successful and find further gains through my job = more money, prestige, fun etc. When all of my colleagues and peers continue to go on and on about their children, I want to be able to think about my vacations, my fun adventures etc which requires a bit more cash than what I make currently.

Initially, I was going to go back to school and get a master's of education and perhaps a phd one day. I envision myself being a consultant, or if anything, being more attractive in various educational fields if I had to move.

However, instead of sinking time and money into something that may not be as fruitful, perhaps you guys might have some other ideas about what might be some great second careers to get into right now.

Another big goal of mine is to try and learn Mandarin - I know it sounds crazy! I want to be as fluent as possible. One of my small goals is I want to be hired at Van Cleef and Arpel or a high end jeweler. I love jewelry and I think I'd do well. The problem is that I think you need to practice around 5 hours a day = 2200 hours to be fluent. I'm willing to put in as much time per day as possible - taking weekends off. I want to throw myself into productive and meaningful advancements like learning new languages!

Any feedback would be wonderful!
I appreciate the varied and insightful responses that I seem to always get with the tpf community.

Great that you’re evaluating your career, and have insight into your skills.

The skill set of a good teacher translates well into sales. Teachers are often recruited into real estate sales and MLM schemes. My advice regarding sales is to look for opportunities where the product line has a high mark-up. Commissions will be higher, and you’ll need to sell fewer units to meet your sales quota: for example high-end jewellery vs cosmetics. One VCA bracelet is worth several thousand lipsticks, for example. Part-time sales of high-end products might give you enough “fun money” to meet your personal goals.

As far as upgrading your skill set in the teaching field, will a master’s or Ph.D. allow you to double your salary down the road? If not, it is not worth the considerable effort IMO, unless as an educational consultant you could be an independent contractor and charge at least triple your current hourly wage.

As for learning Mandarin, it certainly is a language of the future. How it could be paired with other work would need exploration.

Good luck on your journey!

Reactions: PunjabiStyle
Is teaching English in China or another overseas country an option for you? I'd suggest looking into it. I believe you could even do short-term assignments, so you could travel, build on your resume, learn new languages, and get paid to do it during the summer.

First of all, you can't get a more "prestigious" job than being an educator. Helping the next generation become a group of critical thinkers is the most important job one can have!
But you can certainly make a lot more money doing pretty much anything else because in this country educators are VASTLY underpaid and undervalued.