Help me surprise my mom!

vintagefinds

Jan 9, 2012
My mom is a huge Coach fan. I remember her carrying the stewardess bag when I was a kid. She hasn't bought a Coach in many, many years. My dad is always on her case about spending money. She also loves, loves the color purple. She's picky about her purple, though. She does not like lilac, and prefers dark purples.

I have a yellow Candace, and she has commented many times how much she loves my bag. Top handle bags aren't usually her thing-- I have always seen her with shoulder bags-- but she does seem to love the Candace. I mentioned the Candace comes in purple, which she keeps mentioning she'd love to see in person, but never gets around to it. I don't think she knows how often Coach turns over their stock these days.

I'm tempted to buy her the UV Candace as a surprise present, since I have a PCE and want nothing for myself. I'm worried the purple will be too neon for her tastes though, and it's no longer at our local store to show her. Also the UV Candace is a larger size than the one I have, and I worry she wouldn't like it.

I've heard rumors of a periwinkle color coming out for spring. She would like periwinkle, and it would be perfect if it came out in a shoulder bag, but then again, if it's too pastel of a shade she wouldn't like it. Also, I'm risking the UV Candace selling out and nothing better coming along.

What would you do to surprise my mom? Thank you for any help you can give!

Why not just get her the UV Candace now with PCE, and tell her she can return it if the color or size doesn't work for her? Some SA's will still give you the PCE discount if you return your original PCE purchase in exchange for something else. If you do that, at least you won't have to worry about UV Candace selling out.

I think if she is picky about purple, she might want something more muted like aubergine. That's what I'm waiting for, anyway.

The UV is not neutral, but some darker purples are.

I think it is so sweet that you want to treat your Mom, but make sure you are buying something that she will like and not what you like! :smile:

It sounds like she would like a deep purple shoulder bag!

Dark purple is more of a winter color so you might be better off checking the outlets and department store sales right now instead of PCE.

I saw the aubergine lindsay at the outlet this weekend, but perhaps that would be too big and shiny for her?

If you do decide to use PCE maybe you could find a nice duffel in a color that she would like, how about navy?

I vote for the duffle too. It's a deeper shade and more like what you know she likes. You want her to use it and love it so staying within her comfort zone is probably best. I've seen bags that friends have and love them but I couldn't imagine myself using the same bag. I tell them how much I love them (and I do) but they aren't for me. She can always exchange if she isn't head over heels with the one you choose. Make that clear and even offer to make a day of it with the exchange shopping and I'm sure she will be thrilled.

The violet duffel sounds perfect for her, I had forgotten that it came in that beautiful purple color!

Maybe for Mother's day you could get her a wallet or other accessory to go with it? And perhaps a contrasting "duffel kit" so that she could change the appearance when desired! It would almost be like having 2 different bags!

I found this drill-down picture, the style number is 19889 and the codes are sv/vi.

It's really beautiful, what a great gift and you are a sweet daughter!

Attachments

• 19889_svvi_a0.jpg
    19889_svvi_a0.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 228
Thank you so much for this suggestion. I was set on the Candace because she's made so many comments about how much she likes mine, but the violet duffle seems perfect for her. It's her style and the color is perfect. I think she'd absolutely love it.

You had better hurry. On Saturday, my SA said there were only 14 left in the system.

My mom is a huge Coach fan. I remember her carrying the stewardess bag when I was a kid. She hasn't bought a Coach in many, many years. My dad is always on her case about spending money. She also loves, loves the color purple. She's picky about her purple, though. She does not like lilac, and prefers dark purples.

I have a yellow Candace, and she has commented many times how much she loves my bag. Top handle bags aren't usually her thing-- I have always seen her with shoulder bags-- but she does seem to love the Candace. I mentioned the Candace comes in purple, which she keeps mentioning she'd love to see in person, but never gets around to it. I don't think she knows how often Coach turns over their stock these days.

I'm tempted to buy her the UV Candace as a surprise present, since I have a PCE and want nothing for myself. I'm worried the purple will be too neon for her tastes though, and it's no longer at our local store to show her. Also the UV Candace is a larger size than the one I have, and I worry she wouldn't like it.

I've heard rumors of a periwinkle color coming out for spring. She would like periwinkle, and it would be perfect if it came out in a shoulder bag, but then again, if it's too pastel of a shade she wouldn't like it. Also, I'm risking the UV Candace selling out and nothing better coming along.

What would you do to surprise my mom? Thank you for any help you can give!

I agree with those suggesting the duffle since she loves shoulder bags...it is so unique because it goes from long shoulder to crossbody to short shoulder hobo and does them all so well. Even if you cannot get it in violet, I would still encourage you to get it for her, even in a neutral shade. Best wishes to you both!

I wasn't able to get one :sad:

too bad! why don't you call your local boutique and ask an SA for help? They may be able to find one.

Coach has a program called client-tracker that looks for specific bags that customers want, but they don't use it very often anymore. But for a special gift, maybe they will make an exception.

If not, there are many beautifully-colored duffels so I am sure you will be able to find a bag for her.