Help me SOUND like I know what I am talking about!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Fall Sale is now live! Save up to 40% on Nordy's best brands, including bags, shoes, clothes, home, and kids'. Click to shop.
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I am new to the world of wanting a higher end bag. In the past I have stayed in the Kate Spade world or the like. It made life easy. Kate. Spade. Now I am here lusting after so many exotic finds.

My question? How to pronounce the names?!?!

Even the seemingly simple ones present problems... Do you say Chloe rhymes with glow? Or Chol-e with a big E finish? Do you say Linea like lynn-e-ah or like L-nay-ah?

So... what is your favorite bag? And how do you say it??? :yahoo:

2. haha my roommate and i ponder a few of the designer names as well. we hear ya girlfriend lol i'll keep my eye on this post, i hope ppl respond.

3. lmmfao... you should hear how my Gayman says Hermes......

Gaymans version out loud: Her- meez.

Vicious's Version out loud: Air-mez.

this is not my favorite designer by ANY means necessary... but i thought it would help!

4. I think we decided Linea Pelle was "Linn-e-uh Pell (like shell) -ay" during the sample sale.

5. OK, I have never heard anyone say "Botkier" out loud. Is it Bot-key-ay? Bot-keer? Bot-key-urr? I always thought it was the first, but I'm not certain enough to actually say it.

Reminds me of when I was young and I was an avid reader. I though awry was pronounced aww-ree. And Iwo Jima was ee-wah-gym-uh. Cracked my dad up.

6. I say:

Boat-key-a (long a at the end)

Lynn-a (long a)-uh Pay-lay

Klow-ee

Air-Mehz

The easiest way to figure it out, in my opinion, is to call the CS line when they are closed. Listen to the voice mail and go that way. I called LP like 3 times during the sale and once to leave a VM and every time I called thats the pronunciation I got. Its a region in Italy where high end leathers come from, so since they obviously just got the name from there I stick to my way.

7. Do a search, there a couple of useful threads. Welcome!

8. I saw Botkee -er. All in one smooshed word hehe. Basically, it's kind of phonetic.

9. Some of the listings on Zappos have a 'brand pronunciation' button. Not that I needed one for Marc Jacobs but I appreciate their efforts.

10. Ha, this is a great idea. I remember a huge dispute years back about how to pronounce Stila and some people did just what you suggested. I met Jeannine Lobell at a party, and she was able to put an end to the debate!

11. How do you pronounce Stila? I always thought it was Steel-uh, but I've never heard anyone say it!

12. Great thread. I am on the hunt for a Treesje and I went into a shop who carries the line. I coyly started conversations with different SA's to hear how they said it. Ha... they all pronounced it differently! So I still don't know :P

13. hey ppls keep these coming! it's entertaining and educational at the same time!

14. I say:

Still-uh (Stila)

Tree-szhay (Treesje)

The one I still forget is Givenchy. I always want to say Guh-vinchee instead of Zhee-Von-Shee.

I know my mom still says Etienne Ag-Ner instead of Awn-Yay.

15. The makeup lady at the Stila booth calls it "Steal-la"

Btw - in earlier response to your Botkier question, I called Botkier once and they called themselves "Bot-key-ay" - it sounds French LOL