Help me save - what are your tips and tricks for putting $$ aside for your LVs...

jcash454

Apr 11, 2008
Like a lot of you on this forum, I am completely addicted to bags (particularly the LVs), and have a running list of those that I want to buy. I saved up from November - March in order to buy my Mr. Speed (Mono Speedy 30)..and now I am starting to save all over again.

My husband made a great point: "You wouldn't be starting from scratch if you didn't buy the bag...and you love that thing!" (I said "It's not a thing!!! It's an LV!")

But, I'd love to hear some interesting ideas from the creative people on this forum - how do you set aside $ or save for your LVs? Between mortgage payments, car payments, etc...what tips or tricks do you have?

Mine is simple. I put 20 dollars away every week. I save up my change and roll it up every few months. If I get a windfall (birthday, etc) money, then I will put half in savings and 1/4 to general account and 1/4 to my LV fund.
At the end of the week, any $1 dollar bills in my wallet go into my LV fund.
It is slow going, but it has worked for me. I don't use credit cards.

One idea: set up a separate savings account that automatically deducts from direct deposit (if you have that set up). That way, you don't 'miss' your money when it is squirreled away into the separate savings. I do this for my Roth IRA and for another savings account, but I suppose it could work for a little Vuitton love too.

LV is a CASH ONLY project for me, too. Whether I'm ready to buy or not, I put away a certain amount of $$$ every month in a separate bag fund, no exceptions. Yes, it's tricky:P...mortgage, retirement, savings, investments, car payments, etc. are all top priority over my LV.

But since I know LV is my one & only indulgence, it's easy to cut back on everything else. On top of what I already put in, I pretend to myself that I drink Starbucks, $3.50 @ 20 workdays a month = $70...that adds another $840 a year...tee hee, just enough for a wallet or some other small goody. My hubby does the same thing for electronics & football season tix.

LV is a CASH ONLY project for me, too. Whether I'm ready to buy or not, I put away a certain amount of $$$ every month in a separate bag fund, no exceptions. Yes, it's tricky:P...mortgage, retirement, savings, investments, car payments, etc. are all top priority over my LV.

But since I know LV is my one & only indulgence, it's easy to cut back on everything else. On top of what I already put in, I pretend to myself that I drink Starbucks, $3.50 @ 20 workdays a month = $70...that adds another $840 a year...tee hee, just enough for a wallet or some other small goody. My hubby does the same thing for electronics & football season tix.
:nuts:

ME TOO! I SKIP STARBUCKS :smile: MY STARBUCKS SAVINGS GO TO MY LV ACCOUNT. AHAHA

Another tip, my friend does this: if you can't 'leave' your cash alone or do not want easy access to the money you are saving via the ATM, buy LV or store gift cards (if you are near a LV store) in smaller increments until you have the amount you want. Of course, the gift cards should not have a 'use by' date.

I get away with Starbucks and organic chocolates because dh buys those for me.

I definitely cut back HUGELY on my magazine consumption, it used to be almost a $20/day habit when I was working full-time. $20 x ~300 days = $6K omg I was nutters!!!! I now only subscribe to one culinary mag, and buy a British Harpers once or twice a year...

Whenever I get cash gifts, I put it aside and try not to jump with impulse buys or dining out.

As a fulltime mom, it's been challenging not to have a cashflow like I used to.

I managed to sell my own handmade tote bags online but now have little time to do that. But eBay is still good for generating income. I sold most if not all my store bought bags on eBay -- the fees take a mind boggling chunk, but I do generate cash over time. It takes a little effort to balance leaving it in PayPal or transfering to a bank account where it is easier to leave untouched. I use a credit card to buy LV when ready, and leave the cash to generate a couple dollars interest until close to the billing period. CC is always paid up in full each month!

Handbags are the only things I really spend on. I buy "classic style" clothes from places like TJ Maxx or Marshalls at the most 3x a year, and even so, I don't think I ever spend more than $300 in a year!

Determination will get you there. There are times when it feels downright disheartening but stay determined, if it takes a month, a few months, a year or more, you will get there!

To save up, I usually cut back on everything else.

Eat at inexpensive places or eat at home. No sweets and non-essentials. And buying less clothes and other shopping stuff. ;)

I'm a stay at home mom so no 'real' income. I have a seperate account that I put Ebay money and consignment money in. That's what I use to buy my purses with! That way hubby can't complain!

The saving process for me began with a few simple questions I had to ask myself. I looked at where my money was going (ice cream, clothing, cosmetics etc.) and asked myself, do I really need to be spending money on these things when I already have enough?
For example, I like clothing but I have so much that I don't need to buy anymore, so I figure over the summer I wont make anymore clothing purchases, and use that money to save for another bag. I also don't buy coffee, magazines (maybe 1/month), and am cutting back on impulse buying.
I also stay out of the mall. This is a huge money saver for me because whenever I go to the mall, usually I will buy something.
So, you should set up a savings account and have money transfered there either automatically or do it yourself. Decide which items you can cut back on or "live without" and you will find your money growing!
Another tip: For me when it comes to clothing, I don't buy "trendy" items, but more basic and classic items so I don't have to constantly update my wardrobe.
I hope this helped!:smile:

Well since im a college student and live at home, my dad pretty much helps me pay my "bills", and I use the money from my job, my actual pay checks goes to cloths, make-up, and gass for my car, and the money i make on commission goes to my LV fund!

I second the stay out of the mall comment. Also try and stay off other sites. I love clothes and shoes as well so I try and not look. For me my DH and I have a budget. So I get a monthly allowance of $300. If I'm saving for a bag it can take me 3-6 months sometimes if it's really expensive. But I put things like birthday money towards it. However when I spend any of my allowance I know it means longer for a bag. :wtf: I basically know the bags I'm going to purchase for the year. LOL! What gets me is the bags I'm trying to catch up on and get ( I just became an LV lover 1.5 years ago) all keep going up in prices! :hysteric:

These are great tips, thanks and keep sharing! Some I've thought of, some have never crossed my mind and will be really helpful - this is awesome. I knew we'd have a creative crew here on tPF!