Help Me Pick My First (Pre-Loved) LV Bag!

LittleGuyLucy

Jul 5, 2014
Hi everyone! I am pretty new to tPF and this is my first ever new thread. :yahoo: In the beginning, I thought I would die of impatience before I got to post for advice...and then I got caught up in everything tPF related and didn't notice I have been "eligible" for awhile. Figures. ;)

Let's get to the nitty gritty. I need your help!

To this point, I have been in LV "lust from afar" territory. I finally decided to stop delaying the happy (haha) and go ahead and get myself a pre-loved bag rather than waiting to buy new. The dilemma, of course, is WHICH pre-loved bag?!?

Originally, I thought for sure I would get a Mono Speedy because, well...it's the speedy, right? It's a simple, iconic bag and there seems to be a good pre-loved supply. BUT, I'm struggling with this because I have discovered that I do so love the Mono Alma (actually, I love pretty much every Alma). I worry more about getting a pre-loved Alma, however, because of the additional vachetta. For the Speedy, I am torn between a 25 and 30. For the Alma, the PM.

What about either of these bags in DE? Those are much harder to find and tend to be more expensive so, I think they might be better purchased new. Maybe?

Are there any other bags you would recommend for a first timer looking in the pre-loved only market at this time? Tips on what to consider when looking? If it helps, I am 29, 5'5", and a professional graduate student (at least that's how it feels! ha).

LV lovers, please help a newbie out!
:hugs::kiss::heart::love::hbeat:

Thanks in advance!! :tup:

welcome aboard! :happydance:
i think the first question you have to ask yourself is..
which bag do YOU love?
i know you said speedy because its iconic but you also mentioned the alma..
so which do you find yourself lusting after more?
that's the one you should go after!

just my opinion. =)

Welcome!

Well first I am not a preLoved type of gal so probably not the best person to answer this question. But I have seen some really good buys here preLoved. If this is your first LV I would say go new if you can - I know and understand people buy preLoved for lots of reasons. And it is neither good nor bad - indifferent here. I do know from browsing around the Alma Mono is one bag that is really damaged in preLoved pieces - tends to have a lot of water damaged to the bottom of the bag, I have an Alma Mono MM that I love to pieces and this is one bag with quite a bit of vachetta. So if you decide to do the Alma preLoved just make sure you are very careful and ask for tones of pictures. I still say save up and buy new though.

How exciting that you are buying your first LV? Congrats! And don't listen to the snobbery around new vs preloved, LVs are meant to stand the test of time. I have a mono pochette that I inherited from my mother whose date tag indicates it was made in 1991 & the vachetta is in such good condition that it doesn't look like it's a vintage (20+ yrs) piece.

I agree with babydau that you should buy the bag that makes *your* little heart sing. One thing I would think about is the purpose -- are you going to use this as an everyday purse? For going out/special occasions? For school? That might help you decide which size you want to choose. Also it might help to go to a LV store to investigate the size differential in person rather than just browsing specs online.

Just don't forget to have it authenticated first! The community here is *wonderful* for helping with authentications. Good luck & happy shopping :smile:

I would say keep saving and get a new DE Alma PM :tender: Alma is also my favorite and DE is lightweight and worry free. I am sure you could also find one in good condition pre-loved. GLD!

If you are concerned about the vachetta, maybe you should start with a DE bag first, especially if you want to get a pre-loved item first, it is really care-free, and ages very slowly.

I will vote for a Speedy B, the additonal shoulder strap is so useful~!

I'm 5'7'', I have both 25 and 30, I use my 25 more often because I don't carry a lot, and it is soooo cute~!! But the 30 is a must-have, IMO.

welcome aboard! :happydance:
i think the first question you have to ask yourself is..
which bag do YOU love?
i know you said speedy because its iconic but you also mentioned the alma..
so which do you find yourself lusting after more?
that's the one you should go after!

just my opinion. =)

Thanks for the welcome! I like your opinion. :smile: I think I LOVE the Alma buttttt I'm concerned I may not find a used one that I love. Hmmm

Welcome!

I do know from browsing around the Alma Mono is one bag that is really damaged in preLoved pieces - tends to have a lot of water damaged to the bottom of the bag, I have an Alma Mono MM that I love to pieces and this is one bag with quite a bit of vachetta. So if you decide to do the Alma preLoved just make sure you are very careful and ask for tones of pictures. I still say save up and buy new though.

I agree, the water damaged vachetta is a big issue I'm seeing on pre-loved bags. Even ones that the nicer sites consider to be in excellent condition. :sad: For this purchase, I am committed to buying preloved!

Thanks for the welcome! I like your opinion. :smile: I think I LOVE the Alma buttttt I'm concerned I may not find a used one that I love. Hmmm

I agree, the water damaged vachetta is a big issue I'm seeing on pre-loved bags. Even ones that the nicer sites consider to be in excellent condition. :sad: For this purchase, I am committed to buying preloved!

That is perfectly fine dear just make sure you are completely satisfied never the less. Just be careful please as I know sometimes those preLoved prices can be about a few hundred off from new - so make sure you are comparing with the LV site. Good luck and I can't wait for your reveal. PreLoved is still new to you!

How exciting that you are buying your first LV? Congrats!

LVs are meant to stand the test of time. I have a mono pochette that I inherited from my mother whose date tag indicates it was made in 1991 & the vachetta is in such good condition that it doesn't look like it's a vintage (20+ yrs) piece.

I agree with babydau that you should buy the bag that makes *your* little heart sing. One thing I would think about is the purpose -- are you going to use this as an everyday purse? For going out/special occasions? For school? That might help you decide which size you want to choose. Also it might help to go to a LV store to investigate the size differential in person rather than just browsing specs online.

Just don't forget to have it authenticated first! The community here is *wonderful* for helping with authentications. Good luck & happy shopping :smile:

Thanks!! I am (very) excited. I think the timelessness of the brand is what draws me to it the most. I love to see those amazing vintage bags out there. Sounds like you are there with me, since you have a fantastic one of your own!

I think, for this first bag, it is likely to be more of an everyday type but, I would like it to look the part for some nicer occasions. Not for school, though. Good thing to have me consider and mention. Thanks. :smile: I did go to the LV store here last week to take a look in person. It was pretty packed so I just looked and didn't try anything out, which probably would be more helpful! :biggrin:

That is perfectly fine dear just make sure you are completely satisfied never the less. Just be careful please as I know sometimes those preLoved prices can be about a few hundred off from new - so make sure you are comparing with the LV site. Good luck and I can't wait for your reveal. PreLoved is still new to you!

Thanks for the encouragement! I can't wait for my reveal, either. :loveeyes: I have been comparing with the LV site, which is good advice BTW, and one some pre-loved bags, the price difference from new is so close, I would certainly wait to be the first owner.

I would say keep saving and get a new DE Alma PM :tender: Alma is also my favorite and DE is lightweight and worry free. I am sure you could also find one in good condition pre-loved. GLD!

Thanks!! I'm glad to hear more Alma praise. :smile: It would make me incredibly happy to find a pretty pre-loved DE Alma!

If you are concerned about the vachetta, maybe you should start with a DE bag first, especially if you want to get a pre-loved item first, it is really care-free, and ages very slowly.

I will vote for a Speedy B, the additonal shoulder strap is so useful~!

I'm 5'7'', I have both 25 and 30, I use my 25 more often because I don't carry a lot, and it is soooo cute~!! But the 30 is a must-have, IMO.

Thank you for the advice and info on your Speedy usage! I think starting with a DE bag is sounding better and better...

Hi everyone! I am pretty new to tPF and this is my first ever new thread. :yahoo: In the beginning, I thought I would die of impatience before I got to post for advice...and then I got caught up in everything tPF related and didn't notice I have been "eligible" for awhile. Figures. ;)

Let's get to the nitty gritty. I need your help!

To this point, I have been in LV "lust from afar" territory. I finally decided to stop delaying the happy (haha) and go ahead and get myself a pre-loved bag rather than waiting to buy new. The dilemma, of course, is WHICH pre-loved bag?!?

Originally, I thought for sure I would get a Mono Speedy because, well...it's the speedy, right? It's a simple, iconic bag and there seems to be a good pre-loved supply. BUT, I'm struggling with this because I have discovered that I do so love the Mono Alma (actually, I love pretty much every Alma). I worry more about getting a pre-loved Alma, however, because of the additional vachetta. For the Speedy, I am torn between a 25 and 30. For the Alma, the PM.

What about either of these bags in DE? Those are much harder to find and tend to be more expensive so, I think they might be better purchased new. Maybe?

Are there any other bags you would recommend for a first timer looking in the pre-loved only market at this time? Tips on what to consider when looking? If it helps, I am 29, 5'5", and a professional graduate student (at least that's how it feels! ha).

LV lovers, please help a newbie out!
:hugs::kiss::heart::love::hbeat:

Thanks in advance!! :tup:

I have been a LV lover from afar too, if you can justify buying new and can afford it then go new! I received my first LV yesterday! Always loved the Speedys and chose a pre loved monogram Speedy 25. Couldn't be happier! Now i'm thinking a key holder or zippy wallet!

I have only bought preloved except for my mono Speedy B but even that one I found on eBay.

If you want to buy preloved, I would say get DE and save the mono for buying new later.