Help Me Pick a Wedding Dress!

afsweet

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
my SO and i are planning to marry/elope this winter. we're just doing a civil ceremony in a courthouse, and we're undecided if we'll have receptions in the future for family and friends. i'm undecided on what kind of dress i should go with- short or long. i feel like a long dress is unnecessary and will look silly for a courthouse wedding, and since we're not marrying in the states, i need something that will also be easy to travel with. and of course, i don't want to spend a lot of money on a dress that will never be worn again, and i'm a college student so the wedding budget is not big.

my first thoughts are to either go with:

1) a short dress (maybe an ivory cocktail dress with beading or some type of embellishment)

2) a long wedding dress from jcrew (for $500 plus whatever is needed in alterations)

any opinions on long vs short? or any suggestions for particular dresses?

Yes I think short would be more appropriate. But it's your wedding day, grandiose or not you should wear what makes you feel the most beautiful in. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

I don't really think that a long dress is "inappropriate" or "silly" for a courthouse wedding. It's more about personal style. If you prefer a long dress, wear it. Otherwise, pick a short dress.

thanks for the opinions ladies.

i do feel more comfortable in a short dress (i guess since that's what i'm most used to). i just wasn't sure if people basically think a wedding dress should always be the long, traditional kind.

Have you checked out dresses at ASOS.com?

http://www.asos.com/Women/Dresses/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=8799#state=Rf-200%3D5&parentID=Rf-200&pge=0&pgeSize=20&sort=-1

You could wear any of them again and just focus on accessorizing :smile:

edit: they give you a "catwalk option" so that you can see the garment worn by a model walking down a runway. If I were on a student budget I would look into ordering a bunch of these to find one that would work and then focus on heels and jewelry that I could wear again or even sell afterwards.

Think louboutins and a beautiful wedding belt :tup:

Last edited:
^thank you for the suggestion. i've looked at asos in the past for other items, but i didn't even think to look there for this! thanks!

now i'm trying to decide if i should wear a veil or not...i was thinking to try to make my own since i read it's not too hard to make just a simple veil.

Since you're wearing a short dress I would say that if you're going for a veil go for one of those cute short ones. Depending on how you want to wear your hair, if you opt away from the veil I think that a rhinestone wraparound headband can look great.

littlemsperfect- thanks for the advice. i'd definitely go with a short veil- i thought about a birdcage veil, but i'm not too keen on how they look from the side.

sailornep- i looked on etsy very briefly, but it was too overwhelming with the lack of search filters. do you have the seller's name though?

littlemsperfect- thanks for the advice. i'd definitely go with a short veil- i thought about a birdcage veil, but i'm not too keen on how they look from the side.

sailornep- i looked on etsy very briefly, but it was too overwhelming with the lack of search filters. do you have the seller's name though?

I had a birdcage veil in mind ;) I like how they look wine a lip in the dark red family (with blue undertones=whiter looking teeth=always a plus).

There was an episode of Say Yes to the Dress where a beautiful woman wore a birdcage veil, red lips, and 40s-esque waves in her hair and she killed it!! I googled it a bunch and can't find it for you :sad:

I had a birdcage veil in mind ;) I like how they look wine a lip in the dark red family (with blue undertones=whiter looking teeth=always a plus).

There was an episode of Say Yes to the Dress where a beautiful woman wore a birdcage veil, red lips, and 40s-esque waves in her hair and she killed it!! I googled it a bunch and can't find it for you :sad:

i love the way they look in front. maybe i need to try some on before i really make up my mind :P

My sister had a short pink dress and a shorter white veil and it was adorable!

We're having a formal hotel wedding in Chicago, so my fiance really wants me to wear a long gown. I actually think it's sweet that he has always had an idea in his head what our wedding day would be like, so I found a long gown that I now absolutely love :smile:

I bought my gown from Nicole Miller Bridal in Chicago. If you go HERE and click on "bridal collections", my gown is the Taryn Lace gown or D10014. It's still a gown, but it's not overly fussy or anything.