Help me pick a Tiffany diamond!

surfergirljen

Ooooh, pretty!
O.G.
Feb 24, 2009
Okay - so things are looking good for me to upgrade my 1.5 Tiffany classic round brilliant e-ring! YAY! I love love love my SA! I tried on a 1.86 today and almost died it's so pretty!! This would be in place of that soleste RHR I was going to get for so long... decided I'd rather put the $ into my e-ring, the one thing I always wear (other than my diamond studs and love bracelet!)

I had called the US and found one that is in my sweet spot - just below 2 cts (so as not to pay for the premium of the actual number 2!) at 1.92 carats... same colour and clarity as I have and am happy with (G, VS2), and triple excellents across the board - and she can bring it in! Yay!

By the way she said (for what it's worth!) that all of their round brilliants are "excellent" cut but the polish/symmetry etc can be less than excellent.

Here's a question for you because then she found a different one to consider... All things (cut) being relatively equal (I'm not sure that that is true yet but I do know the specs for the 1.92), which would you choose:

1.92 triple excellent G colour VS2
1.90 (assume triple excellent for now) E colour SI1 (for $3,000 less)?

I asked to see the SI1 in person obviously as I wouldn't like to be able to see any inclusions with the eye... but am assuming with Tiffany's it will be a good one. That said there is a lot of surface area to see in this size and style ring so I want to be sure!

Would love your thoughts!!

For anyone interested in what a Tiffany certificate looks like (I know there has been much debate lately about what they actually say) am including pics of mine here!

Let me know what you make of it, Ame! :smile:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-20 at 8.20.29 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-20 at 8.20.29 PM.png
    879.3 KB · Views: 2,536
  • Screen shot 2011-12-20 at 8.20.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-20 at 8.20.52 PM.png
    908.8 KB · Views: 2,557
Hi surfergirl! So glad you're able to upgrade and get the size you really want! I tried on a 2.4 carat solitaire (I think it was H VVS2 for $56k?) and a 2.2 E IF for $105k. I was in love! Not with the price, of course, though the H seemed like an awesome deal in comparison LOL and I couldn't tell the color difference, but it may be because I am not super color sensitive.

I also inputted your stats into the HCA calculator for fun and the total visual performance came out very good. No wonder all those Tiffany diamonds sparkle like crazy!!! ;) I wouldn't rule out the SI1 either, and my SA told me Tiffany handpicks SI1 clarity diamonds to make sure they are eye clean. I'm sure both will be bombs of sparkling light and I think it'll be hard to choose between the two.

Oh, exciting! My first instinct is that the 1.92 sounds fantastic! I would be curious to know the measurements, if there is any difference in them? Table and depth. I think this is really only a decision that you can make in person with your eyes.

How exciting. I would prefer the G VS2. Do they have anything in H VS2? If you don't mind, can you share the prices and the process? I would like to upgrade my Tiffany ering sometime in the future.

Hi surfergirl! So glad you're able to upgrade and get the size you really want! I tried on a 2.4 carat solitaire (I think it was H VVS2 for $56k?) and a 2.2 E IF for $105k. I was in love! Not with the price, of course, though the H seemed like an awesome deal in comparison LOL and I couldn't tell the color difference, but it may be because I am not super color sensitive.

I also inputted your stats into the HCA calculator for fun and the total visual performance came out very good. No wonder all those Tiffany diamonds sparkle like crazy!!! ;) I wouldn't rule out the SI1 either, and my SA told me Tiffany handpicks SI1 clarity diamonds to make sure they are eye clean. I'm sure both will be bombs of sparkling light and I think it'll be hard to choose between the two.

Yay! Glad to hear that about my current ring!! Thanks for plugging in those stats! The 1.92 G sounds just as dreamy... I just can't believe the finger coverage! I have size 7 to 7.5 fingers (and I'm preggars right now so they're even bigger! :sad: For now...) and it just seems like the perfect size for me. :love:

I'm LEANING towards the G right now because it's so very much like the one I have - all the stats are the same, just bigger! :smile: :smile: :smile: And I do love my ring! I thought long and hard before settling on the one I have now and where my personal value-vs-4c's sweet spot lay, and for me I think it's at or around G/VS2. The E is tempting though! Colour is important to me (clarity less so - I'd never pay for VVS1 at TIffany's as my VS2 is totally eye clean to me so it seems like a waste) and I'd never imagined with my budget I'd squeeze that high up the colour chart... but then yeah, the SI1 KIND of bugs me a teeny bit... if I love it when I see it MAYBE!

Eeeee! very excited!!! This won't all happen until well after Christmas but that's okay - I know where any Christmas money I'm getting is going now!!

How exciting. I would prefer the G VS2. Do they have anything in H VS2? If you don't mind, can you share the prices and the process? I would like to upgrade my Tiffany ering sometime in the future.

Thanks EVERYONE for the answers!

MatAllston, here are some examples of what I was looking at so you can get an idea for your future upgrade:

1.98 H VS1 $38,600
1.92 G VS2 $41,100
1.94 G VS1 $46,100
2.04 H VS2 $46,600
2.10 G VS2 $56,500

The 2.10 G is tempting but for $15K more? Seems like too much of a stretch I think!

Yay! Glad to hear that about my current ring!! Thanks for plugging in those stats! The 1.92 G sounds just as dreamy... I just can't believe the finger coverage! I have size 7 to 7.5 fingers (and I'm preggars right now so they're even bigger! :sad: For now...) and it just seems like the perfect size for me. :love:

I'm LEANING towards the G right now because it's so very much like the one I have - all the stats are the same, just bigger! :smile: :smile: :smile: And I do love my ring! I thought long and hard before settling on the one I have now and where my personal value-vs-4c's sweet spot lay, and for me I think it's at or around G/VS2. The E is tempting though! Colour is important to me (clarity less so - I'd never pay for VVS1 at TIffany's as my VS2 is totally eye clean to me so it seems like a waste) and I'd never imagined with my budget I'd squeeze that high up the colour chart... but then yeah, the SI1 KIND of bugs me a teeny bit... if I love it when I see it MAYBE!

Eeeee! very excited!!! This won't all happen until well after Christmas but that's okay - I know where any Christmas money I'm getting is going now!!

OMG, congrats on your pregnancy!!! I think the two rings you picked out are perfect. And don't worry, as long as you do it before the next price increase, you'll be just fine :lol:

I was actually at Tiffany the other day and tried on a 2.04 H VS1 for $50,500. I can't believe the 2.04 H VS2 you saw was $3900 cheaper!! I don't think a VS2 clarity would bring it down that much in price, but then again I don't know too much about diamonds. :shrugs: I also think the specs for the G/VS2 are better, but you never know until you see both diamonds in person. Since it's Tiffany, both are going to be amazing! I can't wait for your new upgrade!

Hmmm... I think I'd go G VS2. It's a good sweet spot, esp since you already know you like that combination. At that price point the price difference isn't AS big of a deal. I will wait to reserve judgement til 1) you see them both and 2) you have certs for me so I can see numbers :biggrin:

FWIW: I prefer a 55ish % table and about a 61.5ish total depth.

I agree with Ame, I would go with the 41k ring, based on these stats alone. Very much seems like the biggest bang for your buck. The up-spec from H to G is totally worth $2,500 to me at these carat sizes.