Help me pick a Keepall! Monogram vachetta or macassar or ECLIPSE?!! 45 or 50!!

Jozee

O.G.
May 3, 2009
Hi all,
I've actually never bought a LV before, but the Keepall Bandouliere is SUCH a classic and it's something I've been thinking about for the longest time, so I figure on an coming trip to London, I'll go pick one up at LHR and get my first LV! :smile:

But for this first piece, I just can't decide!!!! Monogram vachetta or macassar?!!!

Obviously, there is the classic appeal of the vachetta, but having never owned LV before, I don't know what to expect in terms of how long it will take to patina (i hate the original light vachetta color personally) and also not sure what to expect in terms of protecting the vachetta?

The macassar is obviously gorgeous and also definitely appealing in that it's less fuss, but is the treated leather less durable than vachetta? Also, how do you (particularly the ladies here) feel about the black trim? I am not sure I love the way the monogram looks w/ the black trim. (OR MAYBE A MONOGRAM ECLIPSE??!!!)

Next, on to size: I will only ever use this bag in conjunction with a roll-aboard. It will basically serve as my "personal" item so would ideally be able to fit under the seat if necessary but more importantly, it needs to be able to sneak past the flight attendants. While a 45 would probably be best here, it doesn't seem like the 50 is that much bigger that this would be an issue. Does anyone have experience here?

Looking at this photo w/ the diff sizes (http://www.designer-vintage.com/article/how-to-choose-the-right-size-louis-vuitton-keepall), it seems 45 and 50 are pretty close that I could definitely getaway with using a 50 for this purpose.

Thanks all! Really appreciate the help!!!

Last edited:
Hi all,
I've actually never bought a LV before, but the Keepall Bandouliere is SUCH a classic and it's something I've been thinking about for the longest time, so I figure on an coming trip to London, I'll go pick one up at LHR and get my first LV! :smile:

But for this first piece, I just can't decide!!!! Monogram vachetta or macassar?!!!

Obviously, there is the classic appeal of the vachetta, but having never owned LV before, I don't know what to expect in terms of how long it will take to patina (i hate the original light vachetta color personally) and also not sure what to expect in terms of protecting the vachetta?

The macassar is obviously gorgeous and also definitely appealing in that it's less fuss, but is the treated leather less durable than vachetta? Also, how do you (particularly the ladies here) feel about the black trim? I am not sure I love the way the monogram looks w/ the black trim. (OR MAYBE A MONOGRAM ECLIPSE??!!!)

Next, on to size: I will only ever use this bag in conjunction with a roll-aboard. It will basically serve as my "personal" item so would ideally be able to fit under the seat if necessary but more importantly, it needs to be able to sneak past the flight attendants. While a 45 would probably be best here, it doesn't seem like the 50 is that much bigger that this would be an issue. Does anyone have experience here?

Looking at this photo w/ the diff sizes (http://www.designer-vintage.com/article/how-to-choose-the-right-size-louis-vuitton-keepall), it seems 45 and 50 are pretty close that I could definitely getaway with using a 50 for this purpose.

As far as the size, for a "personal item" I would pick the 45, and even then, it's really too big to be considered a personal item in my opinion. I like the macassar in case it rains, I don't want to have to worry about new Vachetta while traveling.

I would go with the Macassar - low maintenance while still having that classic LV look. Personally, I'd select the 45 so it's still considered a personal bag. I wouldn't want to risk having to check it on a full flight. The 50 might also be uncomfortable to hand / shoulder carry when fully packed.

I have seen people on flights with the 55 before! Usually it's their only carry on.

I have the 45 and use it with a rolling luggage and haven't had an issue. And this is across carriers. I want to get the 50 so I have a bit more space, I don't anticipate having a problem. Worst case scenario I have to check the rolling luggage (non-LV). I have mono and I travel with it in the dustbag, before when I had Damier Graphite I didn't have to do that. So definitely get a carefree print!

Hi all,

My first Vuitton was a Keepall. Actually all my Vuittons are Keepalls :smile::smile:
I will try to help a bit. The Classic Mono is THE classic one, soft canvas, beautiful untreated leather. If you carry it everyday during a summer, it can acquire enough patina to look honey coloured, but if you will only use it occasionally, then this process can take way more time. You can always 'cheat' by using baby wipes (which can be very useful to clean it while speeding up the patina process), I use it regularly, but mostly for cleaning, because I like the light-colour too.
The Macassar is the very same. I know that all of them should be the same, but it is not really the case, but more on that later. On this bag, the leather got a black dye in the tannery, and nothing else. This makes it just as soft as the VVN leather on the Classic Mono, but without the high-maintenance. The canvas is just as soft as on the Mono. If these bags are not full or have something heavy in them, they can sag.
The Eclipse (just like the Cobalt) canvas is more rigid. Way more. It probably won't sag at all under normal circumstances (unless you put a bowling ball in it :smile:). The other major difference, that these models sport a leather that has a rubbery-finish. It is matte, looks awesome, but, as most things with heavy coating, it can show some very visible and never-again-disappearing creases if they bend for some days. So don't ever leave them unstuffed for a weekend.
This version comes with a zipped inner pocket, the Cobalt has a pocket without a zip, and the Mono and the Macassar has no zips.
One more tiny little detail: the Eclipse has shiny polished zipper pulls, while all others have brushed matte ones. I suppose they are experimenting at the workshop. Considering the canvas colours, the leather and the other few differences, this really feels like a modern techno remix of the Classic Mono bag.

Sorry for the long post, I will summarise the key points:
Classic Mono:
• soft canvas (might sag)
• soft leather (high maintenance)
• no inner pocket
Macassar:
• soft leather (carefree!)
• no inner pocket
Eclipse:
• rigid canvas (won't sag)
• hard, rubbery leather (weather-proof but not bending-proof!)
• zipped inner pocket

For a first bag, I would highly recommend the Macassar as it is really close to the classic version, while being the most carefree.
The size: 45 all the way. The 55 is enormous as a carryon.

I have the 45 in eclipse, have not used it yet but will be traveling in December. I had the classic mono & sold it, I worried to much about the patina (don't like the darkening at all).

Reactions: sayakayumi
My first Vuitton was a Keepall. Actually all my Vuittons are Keepalls :smile::smile:
I will try to help a bit. The Classic Mono is THE classic one, soft canvas, beautiful untreated leather. If you carry it everyday during a summer, it can acquire enough patina to look honey coloured, but if you will only use it occasionally, then this process can take way more time. You can always 'cheat' by using baby wipes (which can be very useful to clean it while speeding up the patina process), I use it regularly, but mostly for cleaning, because I like the light-colour too.
The Macassar is the very same. I know that all of them should be the same, but it is not really the case, but more on that later. On this bag, the leather got a black dye in the tannery, and nothing else. This makes it just as soft as the VVN leather on the Classic Mono, but without the high-maintenance. The canvas is just as soft as on the Mono. If these bags are not full or have something heavy in them, they can sag.
The Eclipse (just like the Cobalt) canvas is more rigid. Way more. It probably won't sag at all under normal circumstances (unless you put a bowling ball in it :smile:). The other major difference, that these models sport a leather that has a rubbery-finish. It is matte, looks awesome, but, as most things with heavy coating, it can show some very visible and never-again-disappearing creases if they bend for some days. So don't ever leave them unstuffed for a weekend.
This version comes with a zipped inner pocket, the Cobalt has a pocket without a zip, and the Mono and the Macassar has no zips.
One more tiny little detail: the Eclipse has shiny polished zipper pulls, while all others have brushed matte ones. I suppose they are experimenting at the workshop. Considering the canvas colours, the leather and the other few differences, this really feels like a modern techno remix of the Classic Mono bag.

Sorry for the long post, I will summarise the key points:
Classic Mono:
• soft leather (high maintenance)
• no inner pocket
Macassar:
• soft leather (carefree!)
• no inner pocket
Eclipse:
• rigid canvas (won't sag)
• hard, rubbery leather (weather-proof but not bending-proof!)
• zipped inner pocket

For a first bag, I would highly recommend the Macassar as it is really close to the classic version, while being the most carefree.
The size: 45 all the way. The 55 is enormous as a carryon.

Whoa, thanks for the super detailed response!! Yes i was just watching YT vids and went absolutely nuts for the interior pocket on the Eclipse and Colbalt. That is a GAME CHANGER for a duffle like this.

I think I'm going to try and snag the Eclipse 45!! Will be reaching out the LV in LHR to hopefully get one in stock.

But I do like your & everyone else's thoughts on preferring the Macassar to the classic. I think I've got my back up in mind :smile:

Thanks so much!

Whoa, thanks for the super detailed response!! Yes i was just watching YT vids and went absolutely nuts for the interior pocket on the Eclipse and Colbalt. That is a GAME CHANGER for a duffle like this.

I think I'm going to try and snag the Eclipse 45!! Will be reaching out the LV in LHR to hopefully get one in stock.

But I do like your & everyone else's thoughts on preferring the Macassar to the classic. I think I've got my back up in mind :smile:

Thanks so much!

To be honest, there is no bad decision when it comes to a Keepall :smile: I am happy that you picked Eclipse. I highly recommend to call the store in advance (if not more stores in London) if they have any and can reserve one for you, because while most other pieces are always in stock, Eclipse supplies are still very limited. Our local store haven't seen any Eclipse pieces since release, and even when I visited the Maison in Germany, they only had a handful of Eclipse good. So call them, I don't want you to go home empty handed :flowers:

Got my eclipse 45 from the Heathrow shop using the shopper service!!! Already used it on my flight back (had toooo much hand luggage otherwise so easier to consolidate into my handy keepall :smile:)). It's a beaut!

I also ended up getting an alma bb epi noir. Lol. The prices at heathrow are just sooo much cheaper than in the USA. But still spent 1k more than I intended!

Declared my items coming through customs too since I obviously had a huge orange bag (the alma). But the customs guy just gave me a look like ohhh youuu women. Haha. No taxes were charged. :smile:

Will share pics soooon