Help me move my shoes please!!

Jujuma

O.G.
Nov 9, 2009
Ugh! We sold our house and are moving. I have a pretty extensive shoe collection, don't we all(?), and was wondering if anybody has moved or had any ideas for doing so. One of my other problems is the sale of our new home fell through, long story but basically we had a sell by contingency we didn't make and we lost the house (of my dreams where I was converting a room to a closet, insert sobs here) so we have to go into a rental till we find another one. The good news is the rental is big enough that I can keep my shoes with me, I just can't figure out the best way to transport and store them till they get to their permanent home. I don't store them in boxes, on shelves, so I don't have boxes for them. Any ideas at all would be appreciated, thanks so much!

Container store sells clear bins for shoes for transport and storage. You can use them for long term and stick a Polaroid outside as well dor organization.

It's gonna add up..did I mention I had a lot of shoes? But I guess it's a step(get it?lol) in being organized in my new home and hopefully dream closet. Thanks!

I definitely wouldn't buy a bunch of clear boxes if you plan to store them in your new home similar to how you do now. That would be a huge waste.

When I moved my shoes just went in between layers of clothes in the clothes boxes.

I definitely wouldn't buy a bunch of clear boxes if you plan to store them in your new home similar to how you do now. That would be a huge waste.

When I moved my shoes just went in between layers of clothes in the clothes boxes.

I think I agree, the more I look at the price of the boxes and the amount of shoes I have. I have a large antique book case, backless, that I hope to use for my shoes. My problem with packing them the way you suggest is that we will be renting for about 4 months till we find a home. I hope we find a home in that amount of time, everything has gone wrong so far-did I mention the home we lost was perfect and had the perfect room next to the master for me to make into a closet, so sad-so I hope we can find one that we like in the spring. I think I need something, relatively inexpensive that will keep them semi organized. I guess I could pack away my summer ones keeping out just a few in case we take a winter vacation. My problem is I like my "stuff" to always be where I can get to it. I am not a minimalist and every time I try to be I end up regretting whatever it is I get rid of.

Actually I went on Amazon(we have our Am Ex points transferred there so whatever I buy is free! My husband says that's not how it works but it is to me:smile:)and they sell boxes by Sterilite 12 for $24. They're probably not of the same quality as the container store ones but if I order at least a couple (x2) sets I can protect my better shoes in them. Maybe this will be a good compromise.

You might consider shoe bags to store your shoes in temporarily.
They are inexpensive & can be used for other storage purposes.

There is also a shoe fabric semi organizer (canvas)that you can hang on the back
of a closet door that should hold several pairs. Not a big investment but
easy access to the shoes you will need for now.

I ordered two sets of the cheaper boxes for my better shoes and I think the shoe bags will be great for the rest. And yes I always need little bags to put things in when packing so will def get use out of them. Great idea. My bags are covered cuz I keep all boxes for them. My mover saw my closet and is dropping off wardrobe boxes asap and letting me keep them till we move out of rental into perm home, he gets me which is why I hired him. There's room at the rental for all this stuff and my antique dressing table...now I just have to deal with rest of house. It's funny when push comes to shove how little is really important. My personnel stuff is important, as is some art work we have and crystal pieces and some sentimental stuff. As for furniture...I would love a do over. We are def selling some stuff, like dining set, new home will be much more casual. Thanks for helping me solve at least one problem!

I use some of those Sterlite boxes. You can get it for less than $1 each @ Target/Walmart/Home Depot. I just got 50 of them on sale last week @ Target for ~$22. It can't fit super high heels or boots though. I got the bigger boxes for those.

I use some of those Sterlite boxes. You can get it for less than $1 each @ Target/Walmart/Home Depot. I just got 50 of them on sale last week @ Target for ~$22. It can't fit super high heels or boots though. I got the bigger boxes for those.

Yes, I figured I could get them cheaper, but at least I got free delivery. What size shoe do you wear? I'm a size 6 so hoping heals will fit.

Well, they came. If I had any energy I'd open the box and check them out but I am in that stage of avoidance, I don't know if everyone goes through this but...right before I have to start a massive project (like having a week to pack my whole house to move...not even to a new house that I would be excited to do. I have to do the stays with me, goes to storage, etc) I watch movies I've seen a hundred times, right now it's The Devil Wears Prada (the scarfs are about to go flying all over the street, use to love this scene...before I was actually hit by a taxi, still appreciate the scene just not quite as much). Eat junk food. Then when I can't stand myself anymore I work at a break neck pace. I'll let you guys know how the boxes work. Thanks for all the help!