Help me manage my makeup stash, please!

kiss_p

So, pretty...
O.G.
Jul 9, 2007
I have a lot of makeup (probably too much :P). I'm trying to take inventory of what I have and find a way to rotate it, so that it all gets worn. So, if you have a lot of makeup:

Do you keep a spreadsheet or list of your colors, so you don't buy dups? I do keep a spreadsheet for my bare escentuals eyeshadows and blushes. Now, I need to start a list for NARS, Smashbox, etc.

Do you rotate your colors, so that they all get worn?

Do you write down color combos that you really like (even those that you don't like, so that they aren't repeated)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Great thread topic! I have been meaning to take some updated photos of my makeup organization system, so I will try my very best to do so tomorrow while it's light out here and post them for you. I personally think that the very best thing that you can do for yourself and this stage is to depot all of your mono shadows and put them in palettes. Then you can label all of your palettes easily (you can do blush and eyeshadows this way) and group items by color family or however you wish. I did this recently and it has really made life much simpler in the morning/whenever I do my MU. I also find that I use everything more. I would check out PG's recent depotting thread for some pics!! Also, I will do my best to post pics tomorrow. ;)

http://forum.purseblog.com/showthread.php?t=526014&referrerid=127932

Loquita - Thanks for the link. I'll have to work on depotting my MAC blushes and eyeshadows.

Yep! This is key. I am going to depot my last two ones tonight in fact, lol...(I use the heat method with an electric griddle, btw. If you are a newbie it might be easier -- the first time I depotted I tried the no-heat method and broke a lot of my shadows). :sad: But even if you break/crumble something a bit, don't worry, you can fix it! There is a good video on YouTube for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsXvb1t4q14

EnKore (the guy who did this video) also has great videos for depotting MAC as well (and other brands, if I am not mistaken).

Oh you are asking the wrongggggggggg girl lol!

I can put 2/3 of my makeup away and still have enough for a month's worth of different looks - I swear it! lol goodness.. I'm terrible. I don't keep spreadsheets but I pretty much know what I have at all times.

My biggest problem is pink nailpolish - I always think they are different in the store and then I come home and I, of course, already have one in that color lol. So, now I have like 18 pink nailpolishes lol