help ! Me Make a Movement !!

ksammon

Aug 30, 2006
IT hurts me went ppl use plastic bags who's with me?

WE use way to many plastic bags we should do something about it some ppl use reuseable bags but not every1 WE sure make a movement ...sometimes when i go 2 the store some person is getting like a few things and they get a Plastic bag when they dont have to 4 girls we have HUGE PURSE am not talking about meat not cooked but a person with a snake bar and a drink - WE should make NO Plastic Bag Day and move on to NO PLASTIC BAG WEEK and so on and so on

We should Do something Its not going to help if only one person takes a reuseable bag to the store.

WHO"S WITH ME !!!

There is a lot of talk about this, but I must say .. I still don't get it. I use all the plastic bags I get (or in my case, pay for) to throw away trash in. If I were to use disposable bags. What on earth am I suppose to do with my trash?

I have to agree with the above statement, but I find that we always have such a surplus here anyway that our trash cans and canvas bags live in harmony.

Plus I hate walking back from the store with tacky (uncomfortable) plastic bags when the weather is nice.

Seriously not my thing. I like my groceries packed in nice, clean, unused bags whether they are plastic or paper. It grosses me out when I see people bringing their own burlap or fabric bags into a store. Who knows where they've been.

Not saying one shouldn't shun plastic bags if one wants to, but no thanks for me. I'm a modern girl and I like cleanliness and modern conveniences.

There is a lot of talk about this, but I must say .. I still don't get it. I use all the plastic bags I get (or in my case, pay for) to throw away trash in. If I were to use disposable bags. What on earth am I suppose to do with my trash?
I was going to say the same thing! :yes:

My parents have a trash compactor that uses these big paper bags, but I don't have room for one here. I use ALL my plastic bags for garbage. I don't grocery shop that much, so they all get used.

Yeah, between trash and dog poop, we reuse all of our plastic bags too.

I agree with the above statement about reusable burlap/canvas bags - they gross me out too. Everything in our house and cars can (and often does) end up with dog hair on it. So, ok, I would guess this is the case in many homes (that may or may not be clean homes). Dog hair, cat hair, dirt, grime, food, etc etc etc. People then bring these hairy, dirty reusable bags into the grocery store. Doesn't it make sense that they are then depositing some of that filth in the store? ICK!

I guess the "cure" for that problem would be if a particular store has a place to trade reusable canvas bags. You come into the store, and you deposit your "dirty" bags in a big bin, and then you get freshly cleaned bags on your way out. Sort of like taking a new plate at a buffet. Of course, this probably wouldn't work, because it would be expensive: a) to keep cleaning the bags and b) because people wouldn't bring bags back - they would hoard them at home or throw them away, and just get new ones each time.

I think plastic can be used less often in other ways though: do we need those plastic rings that hold soda 6-packs together? Do products need to be boxed and THEN wrapped in plastic? Do products need to be in plastic and THEN in a box? If lightbulbs are safe in a cardboard sleeve, then why do batteries need to be in those industrial strength plastic cases that cut the crap out of your hand when you open them? Do rolls of paper towels and toilet paper need to be wrapped individually and then again as a package of 12 or 24? Do CDs and DVDs need to be in a plastic case, then wrapped in plastic, then put in those dumb plastic security devices? Do ladies underwear and bras need to be on plastic hangers that you take home and throw away, or could they be displayed on a shelf instead? Could dry cleaners put clean clothes in canvas bags that double as laundry bags, so that dirty stuff comes in in the same bag that it leaves in, once it's cleaned (they could clean the bag with the shirts!)?

Sandra Bullock was on Oprah recently talking about her new restaurant. They use plastic forks and knives and plastic cups and lids and straws and take out containers made from sugarcane and potatoes, rather than from plastic and styrofoam. See here. http://www.greendaily.com/2008/04/23/sandra-bullock-goes-green-with-candles-and-a-restaurant/

Seems to me like this would be a better place to start than with reusable grocery bags.

And while we're on the subject... This seems ridiculous to me: My city charges for recycling. How silly is that? You can either throw stuff out (cans, bottles, newspapers, etc) with the regular trash for the same price you pay for trash anyway, or you can pay MORE to have that stuff recycled. Not only would you have to pay more to have things recycled, but it takes more time - sorting trash from recyclable stuff, rinsing out cans/bottles, etc., bundling newspapers, takes more room in your house/garage because of separate containers for paper/plastic/aluminum/glass. You'd think recycling companies would be given enough governmental aid to allow them to function as a free service to customers, rather than people having to pay to save the environment.

:rant: :whistle: Off soapbox now.

I agree illini! Well said! I reuse all my grocery bags....they are used for doggie poop, cat litter, or to carry lunches in. They never just get thrown away!!!!

I figure I am doing my part a little now...I've stopped purchasing DVDs (Blu ray is going to take over anyways) and I am going completely digital with my CD collection (no more buying CDs from stores)! I know it isn't much....but imagine if everyone went digital!

I do understand when people reuse plastic bags for trash bags, or when they're used to pick up dog poop, as is the example given.

However, in general plastic bags are pretty awful - they're used instead of paper because plastic bags are cheaper to manufacture, however they're also horrible for the environment. A quick Google search says that Americans use 380 billion plastic bags every year and that only 5 percent get recycled.

Even if those statistics are inaccurate, you can't really dispute that billions of bags get wasted each year.

I'm all for being sanitary - so I understand that there will be some waste involved especially for the sake of convenience. Like I wouldn't really insist that people use another method to deal with pet waste, for example, like use a pooper scooper directly and just put the poop in the backyard or something to avoid plastic bags.

While I'm out shopping, I refuse plastic bags whenever possible. There are times when I just have too many things to carry and I have to get a bag. Yesterday I was at a warehouse sale and they insisted I take one or it would look like I was stealing -_-

It's a hard habit to break; I tell my friends to refuse bags whenever possible but SAs/Cashiers usually hand things over to you already bagged anyway.

Seriously not my thing. I like my groceries packed in nice, clean, unused bags whether they are plastic or paper. It grosses me out when I see people bringing their own burlap or fabric bags into a store. Who knows where they've been.

I don't see why re-usebable canvas bags would be considered dirty? You take them home, take out your groceries and then hang the bags somewhere, or throw them in a cabinet. At the worst, maybe they're stored in a garage or something but it's not like everything isn't canned or boxed anyway, or probably wrapped again in plastic anyway if it's loose fruits/veggies.

You use your handbags more than once. There are also canvas handbags too!

I agree illini! Well said! I reuse all my grocery bags....they are used for doggie poop, cat litter, or to carry lunches in. They never just get thrown away!!!!

I figure I am doing my part a little now...I've stopped purchasing DVDs (Blu ray is going to take over anyways) and I am going completely digital with my CD collection (no more buying CDs from stores)! I know it isn't much....but imagine if everyone went digital!

^^^ Yeah, I agree. Both of my real estate offices are almost paperless now. Which makes a HUGE difference! The law firm I work with is also transitioning to a paperless office.

I also download music now - my iPod takes a lot less room in the car than CDs, there's no plastic trash to worry about, and I like that I can listen on the iPod or on my computer, and I can delete the songs I don't like, plus I don't have to fiddle around with a bunch of CDs and cases while I'm driving! I haven't looked at Blu Ray stuff yet, but I am thinking about checking with my cable company to see if they have a higher capacity DVR so I can record and store my favorite movies and shows rather than buying DVDs, etc. DH does buy DVDs for use on airplanes, but he'd rent them instead if more airports had DVD rental places! In fact, I think that should be Blockbuster's next business move - airports, bus terminals, truck stops. They could make up for people using DVR and Netflix.

Last edited:
Well, I use all use plastic bags for trash (poopy diapers),but I also take my huge LLBean tote when I go buy fruits,veggies,milk etc..it is coming from MY home for My food that I purchase.

Not saying one shouldn't shun plastic bags if one wants to, but no thanks for me. I'm a modern girl and I like cleanliness and modern conveniences.
Well, after the grocery store, they've been in my clean car, then on a table in my home, then folded and put on another table until they are taken back out to my clean car. They have been to many fewer places than my handbags have been, and besides that, they can be thrown in the washing machine when necessary. Meanwhile, in the grocery store, you have... I dunno, shopping carts and people touching the fruit...

I'm w/ a lot of the other posters. I don't shop that much anyway- once every 2 weeks and the bags I get, I re-use for dog poop, cleaning out litter boxes, lining small trash cans, blah, blah.