Help me get my pre-loved Reissue repaired!! :D

Acespade

Feb 28, 2014
Hello fellow purse-aholics! I am having a dilemma and could really use your insight. I just purchased a gorgeous 15 series (from 2011) black Chanel Reissue with GHW off eBay. I love the bag and have had it authenticated, though it only came with dust bag (and the serial sticker inside). The seller, who is very reputable, has a 14 day return policy for any reason.

I received the bag, and unfortunately the stitching on the inside of one of the flaps is coming loose and has in fact has totally unraveled in some places. It is over a small area that wasn't visible in pictures nor was it mentioned in the listing. I informed the seller, who was horrified over the oversight and agreed to refund me the cost of repair if that's what I wanted to do. I believe her that it was an oversight and want to keep the bag, but I can't get anyone to repair it!

I tried a nice bag repair shop in my city but he didn't feel comfortable working on such a high cost item, and on such a delicate repair. This guy has super positive reviews. I called a nearby Chanel boutique who said they don't do any work on bags older than 5 years (I knew about this policy, but hoped I could still pay for a repair). The Chanel in San Francisco told me on the phone I can pay to have repairs done on an older bag, but it would be best if I could find a receipt, otherwise they would just look up my serial number to "confirm ownership." I assume this means since I'm not the original owner, they won't do the repair, even if I pay. Has that been everyone's experience here?

So now I'm stuck. Seems my only option is to keep hunting for a bag repair place until I find some random person who's willing to try to fix it (scary!) or try to repair the bag myself (also scary!). If I carry the bag I risk the thread coming even more loose. I really don't want to return it, it's so beautiful and I got a great price. But if I literally cannot get it repaired, what am I supposed to do? Anyone else have this issue?

1.jpg 2.jpg

I wonder if Chanel is saying that will look at 'serial numbers to confirm ownership' just to discourage the pre-owned market. In any event, I would take the bag to the store for repair. It is not a big deal if they mention that you are not the original owner, I doubt it. You have a receipt and it is totally legal to buy pre-owned, so don't worry.

Unfortunately I don't have the receipt. :sad: Bag came with dust bag only (I've had it authenticated though so I'm positive it's authentic). This is my first Chanel and the boutique is a 2 hour drive away, I'd hate to go there just to have them laugh me out of the store... :P

I understand their new policy is they don't do the free refurbishing and repairs unless it's less than 5 years old and you're the original owner. But they really won't do minor repairs like this even if I pay them on a 6 year old bag? That seems pretty crazy to me given the costs of these bags, even pre-owned!

I meant to say that you have a receipt from the seller that sold the bag to you (not from Chanel). They usually only repair bags without charging if they are less than 1 year old. The 5 years policy on repairs is relatively recent, but I believe it is not implemented at all stores; some stores seem to still accept older bags.

I highly recommend Leather Surgeons (http://www.leathersurgeons.com). Chanel boutique refused to repair one of my bags last month so I sent it to LS instead. I'm actually getting it back tomorrow so I'll post some before/after pictures later.

PS---A little birdie had told me that LS handles Chanel boutiques' repairs so they're definitely reliable. :smile:

A totally unrelated note, but the SF Chanel boutique is one of my least favorites. I've never received good customer service from them. [emoji19]

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time differentiating what i'm looking at... is there actual torn leather as well or is this all stitching? regardless I'm certain there are solid repair option out there... I think someone posted something recently about a leather doctors or something who did amazing repairs on some vintage pieces. I'll have to look for the thread again. I'm wondering if going through Chanel isn't the best option right now, they seem really sticky on doing repairs, paid or not, especially on bags that aren't going back though the store you purchased them at with your original receipt or at least proof of purchase via the store. Heck when you think about it from a business standpoint, wouldn't you want things to be a little consumable to promote people wanting to purchase new? I can imagine them not wanting to encourage the designer resale industry and also wouldn't put it passed them refusing to do work on a bag or quickly claiming something unauthentic when it doesn't have every possible credential due to age. They don't make money unless people keep buying their goods...

I recently wanted to get a weak/failing snap replaced on my WOC (that I should have never taken 7 years ago because the stupid snap was never tight enough, but I wanted the darn thing so bad I took it grrr) I had purchased it from a saks, I checked with a Chanel boutique and they told me no no, take back to the store you bought it from... ok.... checked with my SA he said sure can do that but honestly you might as well have a cobbler do it, it's overpriced through Chanel and takes way too long for them to do it.. lol... ok, I installed a temporary magnet system to help the weak snap until i decide what to do if anything at this point. I'm also not convinced there aren't better repair craftsmen out there than who the bags get sent to through chanel... but that being said, since this is a resale purchase you have to be happy with the options the seller is offering you and maybe, depending on the price, your best bet is to let it go and wait for another... if the price is great I'd take the seller up on paying for the repair and find the best of the best to do it, they are out there. Good luck!

Thanks for the response Lola. I understand them wanting to discourage the resale market, and I think if you pay $6k for a brand new bag you should absolutely have the red carpet rolled out for you more than someone who picks up a bag for a couple grand on eBay. However, the value of the bags is higher even for those brand new buyers if ongoing service and repairs is good. Also my bag is 5 years old, not 15. It seems a little harsh they would't even do a paid repair. *shrugs* Sounds like another repair shop may be the best option (and cheaper) anyway.

Reactions: Lola24
Thanks for the response Lola. I understand them wanting to discourage the resale market, and I think if you pay $6k for a brand new bag you should absolutely have the red carpet rolled out for you more than someone who picks up a bag for a couple grand on eBay. However, the value of the bags is higher even for those brand new buyers if ongoing service and repairs is good. Also my bag is 5 years old, not 15. It seems a little harsh they would't even do a paid repair. *shrugs* Sounds like another repair shop may be the best option (and cheaper) anyway.

I totally agree, believe me I've been buying Chanel for over 15 years... I've just seen recent changes that aren't so buyer friendly... That being said I have also heard of experienced repair experts doing better jobs on items than what has been sent back to Chanel, so I guess that's what I'm getting at too. As far as I'm concerned I expect my Chanel bags to outlive me, lol.... but I think Chanel would prefer otherwise.... And I don't think they prefer to be in the refurbishing business, this is again based on my experience with my SA and talking to other friends having had issues. If I were you I'd take it in and to talk to an SA in the Chanel boutique, see what they have to say, they don't have to know you bought it pre-owned, it could have been a gift... They may say it's from use and give you options, or they may say they can't help you, either way you can go back to your seller with the verdict and go from there. As for the serial number, if it's legit I really don't see how they would deny you, first owner or not. It's hard to get a clear answer from Chanel over the phone unless you have a dedicated SA you deal with who knows you IMHO. It's a wonderful bag I hope you get some resolution.