Help me find brands/stores.

J_L33

O.G.
Feb 28, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm doing a wardrobe overhaul, and I'd like to invest in high-quality pieces. I'm looking for clothes that:

-Have simple silhouettes.
-Made from high-quality fabric such as silk, crepe-de-chine, etc...
-Come in bright colors or no-fuss prints.

I'm looking for something along the lines of Aritzia. I don't care about the price range.

I know that I made another thread venting the detachment between real-life fashion vs. what's sold in the stores. A few days ago, I was walking in the evening, and saw a girl wearing the prettiest teal blue dress (or skirt) to her knees in what seemed like heavy-weight crepe-de-chine. The fabric and color was exquisite, and she paired it with a cropped grey cardigan that was buttoned up. Wow...I love simple elegance.

It sounds like you like a minimalist luxe wardrobe, which can be found at most price points. It's also a very international style, these things don't tend to date so are worth investing in.

High
Calvin Klein
Loro Piana
Hermes
Akris
Jil Sander

Middle
Halston Heritage
Joseph
Goat

Mass
Cos
Zara

Aritzia has great stuff. A lot of their stuff is special to their chain. Try tracking down the designers higher end lines.
Next time you see someone wearing pieces you love stop and ask them what they are wearing. People usually love that you have complimented their taste and will tell you the designer, hopefully it will be available locally.

Edited for spelling errors

It sounds like you like a minimalist luxe wardrobe, which can be found at most price points. It's also a very international style, these things don't tend to date so are worth investing in.

High
Calvin Klein
Loro Piana
Hermes
Akris
Jil Sander

Middle
Halston Heritage
Joseph
Goat

Mass
Cos
Zara

Thanks so much! I was never able to put into words what my style was, exactly, and you just hit the nail on its head! Minimalist luxe it is! I love things with simple shapes, glamorous and drapey materials, and I'm a firm believer of the "less is more" adage. I'm not a big fan of showing off my skin, but I like the body skimming/knee-length/fitted approach. I also love clothes that are not easily recognizable (i.e. I HATE logos or designs that are trademarks of certain designers).

Aritzia has great stuff. A lot of their stuff is special to their chain. Try tracking down the designers higher end lines.
Next time you see someone wearing pieces you love stop and ask them what they are wearing. People usually love that you have complimented their taste and will tell you the designer, hopefully it will be available locally.

Edited for spelling errors

I did that few times. Well, it's kinda awkward to stop people on the street...and once I didn't even get a good response; the girl didn't even look at me and told me that she wasn't from my city...O_o. But yeah, I should...I just don't feel comfortable to do that, especially if I'm in the judgey presence of certain acquaintances.

Thanks so much! I was never able to put into words what my style was, exactly, and you just hit the nail on its head! Minimalist luxe it is! I love things with simple shapes, glamorous and drapey materials, and I'm a firm believer of the "less is more" adage. I'm not a big fan of showing off my skin, but I like the body skimming/knee-length/fitted approach. I also love clothes that are not easily recognizable (i.e. I HATE logos or designs that are trademarks of certain designers).

I did that few times. Well, it's kinda awkward to stop people on the street...and once I didn't even get a good response; the girl didn't even look at me and told me that she wasn't from my city...O_o. But yeah, I should...I just don't feel comfortable to do that, especially if I'm in the judgey presence of certain acquaintances.

Oh too bad! It doesn't always work but I've had some great clothes conversations with people as it's a very complimentary ice breaker. You
have to catch people when they have time to chat probably.

When you start a conversation with a stranger you never know what place they are at. I just keep it light and the kind people make up for anyone who is preoccupied.

Hugo Boss - black, red and orange labels. Though if you are looking for more classic minimalistic and professional look then go for mostly black label pieces. The red and orange labels are great if you want some casual fun pieces that aren't trendy. Most of their clothing are comprised of silk, cashmere, cotton, linen, angora, etc. so natural fibers. If you like Aritzia, you may want to try Club Monaco. I find their clothing to be better in quality and more styles that can last you for the next number of years than the brands in Aritzia. They often have amazing sales too. For outerwear, definitely go with Burberry.

I agree with purplepoodles - even if you get a few weird stares from asking someone about their clothing don't stop asking. Particularly if you are really interested in the piece. I've been stopped a few times at the mall and asked where they can get a particular skirt, shoes or dress that I'm wearing and I always tell them. It's fun to engage in conversation about fashion with strangers. I've also done it too and sometimes it's awkward but usually people are pretty friendly about it.

Try Diane Von Furstenburg, Max Mara, Alice and Olivia, Vince, 3.1 Philip Lim, Ted Baker for some fun pieces to mix in, Carven and Isabel Marant for a touch of chic Parsian Street!