Help me evaluate my bag collection, please?

bobkat1991

O.G.
Jun 5, 2010
Hello all,
I have gone mad over Hermes handbags. In less than a year, I have bought nine bags from resellers, then sold one back.
That leaves me with eight bags. My lifestyle is retired, disabled, mostly stay home. But when I go out, even to the grocery stire, I am dressed to the nines. My main wardrobe colors are black, dark brown, cream, camel & olive
with a few accents of yellow, rust, aqua, orange

Here are the bags:

Trim I 38, in black box
Trim I 38, in cream toile and gold Courchevel
Trim I 31, in torquoise Chevre Courmandal
Picotin GM Lock, in Sanguine Clemence
Picotin GM Lock, in Bleu Orage Clemence
Picotin PM, in cream & orange Buffalo Dalmation
Garden Party MM, in Cigare Clemence
Bolide 35 or 37, in Marron Fonce Fjord
(The bag I resold was Victoria 35 in Etoupe Clemence. Neither the style nor the color really delighted me.)

I am thinking about reselling my BB Trim 38, in favor of a gray bag...

Opinions, please? Way too many bags? ( My wallet and dear husband would rejoice if I received a chorus of yes answers to this question!) Gaps in my collection? One more bit of information: I don't long for a B or a K.
Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Hello all,
I have gone mad over Hermes handbags. In less than a year, I have bought nine bags from resellers, then sold one back.
That leaves me with eight bags. My lifestyle is retired, disabled, mostly stay home. But when I go out, even to the grocery stire, I am dressed to the nines. My main wardrobe colors are black, dark brown, cream, camel & olive

Here are the bags:

Trim I 38, in black box
(The bag I resold was Victoria 35 in Etoupe Clemence. Neither the style nor the color really delighted me.)

Opinions, please? Way too many bags? ( My wallet and dear husband would rejoice if I received a chorus of yes answers to this question!) Gaps in my collection? One more bit of information: I don't long for a B or a K.
Love your collection. Mine consists of many of the same styles. I also had three Trims but rehomed one of mine when I got a Bolide in the same color. One bag that I absolutely adore, and think you might enjoy, is a Plume 32.

As far as having too many bags - You can never have too many bags as long as they are all fabulous :graucho:. Good luck on your hunt for your next beauty!

What do you think? If you are happy with them I think you should keep your collection as it is.
If you don't like the Black Box Trim I think you should sell it, but honestly it sounds like such a gorgeous bag, lovely box leather and classic black colour.

Reactions: bobkat1991
Your collection sounds great. If it is working for you, don't change :biggrin:
The key to bag editing is to ask yourself: what do I reach for constantly day to day? Those bags are the must-keeps.

Then, there are bags that fill a specific need (travel, evening, etc.) which, if you don't have a lot of those occasions, you only need one of each. For instance, I own exactly one black-tie evening clutch, because I go to a fully formal black/white tie event once or twice a year at most. I probably only need one GP for office/travel and so if I ever do a truly ruthless edit I would let go my denim one.

Then there are the bags that you just love unreasonably but don't carry often, and it's worth keeping at least a couple of those if they were not incredibly expensive.

Bags that don't fit the above, I think, can be edited if you need to. Eight bags certainly isn't crazy, especially in practical styles and varied colors. I do think it's nice to have a black bag, especially for days you may wear all black.
BTW are you sure your GP is Clemence? I've never seen a Clemence GP, but am not an expert.

Hello all,

Here are the bags:

Trim I 38, in black box

Great advice from others. Don't let others make you feel guilty about your collection. It might be that because you amassed them in a short space of time it feels like a lot but actually 8 - 10 is a very good working number.

I like your choices they really suit you. I think your BBT sounds perfect for those more formal occasions that one thinks one does not have and then gets an invite thrust through the door. It sounds like your one 'posh' combo so I say keep it.

Reactions: bobkat1991
Thank you for your replies! There seems to be a consensus to keep the bb Trim. I will bear your advice in mind!
Quellefromage....I think the GP is Clemence. Got it from reseller. Maybe I will pay the very reasonable fee to Bababebi to have it authenticated. She pointed out the true color of my Bolide....reseller called it Chocolate!

Honestly, I would keep them all and get the grey bag you want as well :biggrin:.
You have a lovely collection and from what I remember (based on your pics in the 'H. in action' thread) you really seem to enjoy most of them. And they really suit you too!
So why let something go that gives you joy :P?
Or is there a bag in your collection that you no longer like?
IMHO, I think you have a great collection with lots of variety and I wouldn't sell any of them, unless there's a bag that you no longer love/use :smile:.

Honestly, I would keep them all and get the grey bag you want as well :biggrin:.
You have a lovely collection and from what I remember (based on your pics in the 'H. in action' thread) you really seem to enjoy most of them. And they really suit you too!
IMHO, I think you have a great collection with lots of variety and I wouldn't sell any of them, unless there's a bag that you no longer love/use :smile:.
For me the "joy test" is everything. If I look at the bag., pick it up, touch it, does it make me smile? Do I feel awesome carrying it? If yes, it stays, unless I have a complete duplicate in form and function. This is why I have one Kelly and one GP that may leave on the next edit - not that I don't love them but they are duplicated by bags I carry more.

For me the "joy test" is everything. If I look at the bag., pick it up, touch it, does it make me smile? Do I feel awesome carrying it? If yes, it stays, unless I have a complete duplicate in form and function. This is why I have one Kelly and one GP that may leave on the next edit - not that I don't love them but they are duplicated by bags I carry more.

I totally agree about the "joy test" although I am guilty of having duplicates in form and function :P.
Seriously, I can't even pick a top 5 favorite of the bags I own - would be a mission impossible for me :biggrin:.

Reactions: Mariapia
I think you have built a very nicely edited collection - a range of colours that go with your wardrobe, styles that work with your aesthetic and are practical for your daily life.

I agree with the "joy" test also. Every time you've posted your beautiful bags, you were beaming.

I might go against the grain here, but I think you should think about rehoming the BB Trim. If you really do not go out much, to me, this more formal piece is not going to get her time out. You have others to replace her for sure. Also, to remain unpopular, I think you could rehome one of the bigger Picos also. While the colors are different and could be your justifications for keeping both, I would rehome the blue one since I think your other bags, while not neutral blue, fit a neutral genre. The sanguine is a fun, pop and should remain imo. Good Luck Dear Friend!!

May i know what triggers you to considering rehoming the BB trim 38? Because, usually when I decided to sell any of my bags, its usually due to:
- not having much use of it as much as i thought i would due to color/shape/etc
- fall out of love with it (too heavy/prone to scratches)

If it is similiar reasoning, I would sell the trim & get the gray which you are considering :idea:.
But if there is possibility to add the gray without selling the trim, & you love the trim bag still, that would be the best of both world! :nuts:!

I might go against the grain here, but I think you should think about rehoming the BB Trim. If you really do not go out much, to me, this more formal piece is not going to get her time out. You have others to replace her for sure. Also, to remain unpopular, I think you could rehome one of the bigger Picos also. While the colors are different and could be your justifications for keeping both, I would rehome the blue one since I think your other bags, while not neutral blue, fit a neutral genre. The sanguine is a fun, pop and should remain imo. Good Luck Dear Friend!!
sparklelisab, I think I WILL rehome that bb Trim! I bought it to go with the occasional all black outfit, but I have discovered the joy of hermes colors! That trim does not give me joy.

On the other hand, I cannot and will not even THINK a bout rehoming my bleu orage Picotin GM. I am SO drawn to that color! Each picotin I own makes me smile whenever I think about them! Thank you for your thoughts!

Reactions: ForeverInPink
Chanel, thank you for your compliment about my bags suiting me! The on I no longer love is that bb trim, and I feel that my bleu orage is an even better bag for an all black outfit.

Quellefromage, yes....the joy test! Joy is important! So is frolicng (sp?). My bags give me the desire to frolic!

I totally agree about the "joy test" although I am guilty of having duplicates in form and function :P.
Seriously, I can't even pick a top 5 favorite of the bags I own - would be a mission impossible for me :biggrin:.
Every single one of mine is my favorite! Except that poor bb trim....

I think you have built a very nicely edited collection - a range of colours that go with your wardrobe, styles that work with your aesthetic and are practical for your daily life.

I agree with the "joy" test also. Every time you've posted your beautiful bags, you were beaming.
Genie27, I sure WAS beaming!
May i know what triggers you to considering rehoming the BB trim 38? Because, usually when I decided to sell any of my bags, its usually due to:
- not having much use of it as much as i thought i would due to color/shape/etc
- fall out of love with it (too heavy/prone to scratches)

If it is similiar reasoning, I would sell the trim & get the gray which you are considering :idea:.
But if there is possibility to add the gray without selling the trim, & you love the trim bag still, that would be the best of both world! :nuts:!
....not having as much of a use for it. And maybe past times of my life when I would carry one black bag until it fell apart.

Reactions: **Chanel**
Your collection sounds lovely! And I don't blame you for loving the blue orage pico! It's a gorgeous color and one of my favorites as well! As far as what you should add, have you thought of something red? Even though you don't seem to wear much red, a red bag would look so chic next to your neutral wardrobe! Anything from rouge h to rouge grenat or rouge casaque if you're daring :flowers: It would be a stunner! For styles, I agree that a Plume would be lovely, or how about looking at the Halzan, which you can wear a variety or ways, or a bolide in a smaller size, like a 28 or 31. You have great classic taste and no doubt whatever you choose will be amazing!