Help me design my Kitchen!

angfento

Happy Momma!
Aug 31, 2006
I posted this in the Kitchen section but figured I might get more eyes here!

OK so we are still in the planning stages, meeting with the architect, but has anyone else just built their home? What would you do differently or what have you been so happy with? Here is my chicken scratch on the original draft...
Kitchen.jpg

Size: 15'8" x 16'

42" at least between island and other work areas

Counterop heights? I'm 4'11" and my Mom is 5' - we will be cooking most meals together. I was thinking at the very least make the Island lower, and maybe another counter. My back always hurts when I spend too much prep time at a full size counter.

I was looking into a professional Dual-Fuel Range.. Viking or wolf - prob a 4 burner with a griddle & Grill...
m40015_VDSC487-4GQ.gif

I just got my consumer reports and they said these brands are overrated and not worth the money though! Is there another brand out there that makes a range this wide? I thought about a separate stovetop with wall oven, but I really like it all in one. And I don't have that much wall space to put a wall oven, since my kitchen is so open.

I also have an ICE2O fridge that I want to take with me, but it's stainless, and honestly I love the look of it, but it's a pain to keep clean- and I don't have kids yet! I really like the graphite apliances, but wonder if I could mix and match with stainless?

What about little extras?... a cabinet for Baking trays, a trash can under the island, next to the veggie sink with a hole on top of island for access, Lazy Susans?

Also sink location? I was going to put it on the back wall under the window, but I think I would rather have it on the 2 level eating bar, so that I can be involved in whats going on in the living room or deck. Thats how I have it now, and I love it! Also I may be able to put the DW next to sink, I just don't know dimensions. But right now I have it sitting right below my cabinets that I would put most of the dishes in, which is what I've read is best to do.

We love to entertain! So we will continue to always have people over, lost of times they seem to hang out on the deck, etc.
My pantry is next to the desk- 5x6. The desk will house some of my cookbooks, and will be used in meal prep and planning.

Your kitchen looks so nice. Lucky you! I just got a new kitchen so here are my thoughts. I'm short but I kept a standard height counters because it would be easier for resale.
If I had unlimited funds, I would have bought a Wolf stovetop. We went with Jenn-air which is significantly less than the Wolf and I love it. I have a wall oven and wall microwave stacked one on top of the other which is great because I don't like to bend down to get into the oven.
I say go with the things you love. I smile every time I go into my kitchen.

I am a chef so hopefully I can help. I have a Jen-Air range and really like it. I have heard about alot of problems with Viking/Wolf for home use and big problems getting them fixed.
I bought a stainless cleaner at Target(mEthod brand) that works great-dry rub it on and everything is streak free.
What are you using for countertops?

I've heard a lot about Jen- Air over the last few days... I'm looking into them.. they seem to have better ratings.

As far as countertops, I was thinking granite. Consumer reports rated them highest on their 2008 Kitchen reports.
I'm def going to have to try that Cleaner... I love Method products

I am a chef so hopefully I can help. I have a Jen-Air range and really like it. I have heard about alot of problems with Viking/Wolf for home use and big problems getting them fixed.
I bought a stainless cleaner at Target(mEthod brand) that works great-dry rub it on and everything is streak free.
What are you using for countertops?

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but I want to redo my kitchen so bad I'm envious! That looks like it's going to be really nice. I have no clue about how to go about doing a kitchen. It all seems so confusing.