Help me decide! YSL VS PRADA

LeslieE

Jul 7, 2019
I’m looking for an underarm back to treat myself for my upcoming birthday. I plan on checking out the YSL 5 a 7 and the Prada Cleo. Just wants simple grab and go bag, that’s hard wearing. Any opinions? Thanks!

542A88D2-64FD-49F9-9F8F-A7DA2E2AFF0C.jpeg

I don't have either bag but here are my pros and cons of each:

Prada Cleo

Pros:

1) flap closure ensures security
2) adjustable shoulder strap
3) The adjustable shoulder strap appears to have a loop for the tail end of the leather strap to tuck in, to prevent it from eventually sticking out over time. But you should probably go into the store to see if that loop can slide up and down the strap.

1653317910832.png

4) The version you chose is patent leather. Durable, probably will be fine in the rain. But you may see fingerprints on it. If it's smooth leather, I'd just be concerned about scratches.
5) Appears to lay flat to the body, which is close, safe, and comfortable.
6) Personal preference, I think it's quite cute.

Cons:
1) Personal preference, 2 buckles on a shoulder strap is too much for me. I don't like how it looks.
2) If the loops for the ends of the shoulder strap cannot hold the ends in place, I'd be concerned about the leather ends lifting over time.

YSL 5 a 7

Pros:

1) If you really want grab and go, then since the bag is open, with no flap, it is very easy to see things and probably take things in and out.
2) Chic and timeless silhouette
3) Also appears to lay flat to the body, which is close and comfortable.
4) Adjustable shoulder strap.

Cons:
1) Open bags are unsafe to me, too easy for someone to reach in a grab something potentially. (Even if it is close to the body, pickpockets are fast and they often will bump into you first to startle you which may loosen the handbag out from under your arm.)
2) I'd also probably find the closure to be a little annoying and leave it open. But then that's not the safest.
3) The adjustable shoulder strap does not have a loop for the tail end of the leather strap. That probably means (unless you wrap the leather bit during storage) that the leather will eventually lift and stick out. That's a pet peeve for me.
4) It's smooth leather, I'd be concerned about scratches. (But that's just me, I don't baby my bags and am pretty rough with mine.)

Just my initial thoughts, hope that helps! Happy early birthday!

Between these two bags, it would come down to which one feels better when you hold or wear it. The Prada looks like it has a longer drop and might also sit closer to the body and maybe stay put with less fuss. The YSL looks to be slightly dressier bag. Both are good choices!

Reactions: Hine and LeslieE
I would personally go for the Prada solely due to the opening. Having to unhook and rehook the L out of the leather loop to get in and out of the bag would drive me nuts on the YSL. I would probably end up leaving it unhooked all the time.
Thanks for this input! Definitely something I haven’t thought of

I don't have either bag but here are my pros and cons of each:

Prada Cleo

Pros:

1) flap closure ensures security
2) adjustable shoulder strap
3) The adjustable shoulder strap appears to have a loop for the tail end of the leather strap to tuck in, to prevent it from eventually sticking out over time. But you should probably go into the store to see if that loop can slide up and down the strap.

View attachment 5410466

4) The version you chose is patent leather. Durable, probably will be fine in the rain. But you may see fingerprints on it. If it's smooth leather, I'd just be concerned about scratches.
5) Appears to lay flat to the body, which is close, safe, and comfortable.
6) Personal preference, I think it's quite cute.

Cons:
1) Personal preference, 2 buckles on a shoulder strap is too much for me. I don't like how it looks.
2) If the loops for the ends of the shoulder strap cannot hold the ends in place, I'd be concerned about the leather ends lifting over time.

YSL 5 a 7

Pros:

1) If you really want grab and go, then since the bag is open, with no flap, it is very easy to see things and probably take things in and out.
2) Chic and timeless silhouette
3) Also appears to lay flat to the body, which is close and comfortable.
4) Adjustable shoulder strap.

Cons:
1) Open bags are unsafe to me, too easy for someone to reach in a grab something potentially. (Even if it is close to the body, pickpockets are fast and they often will bump into you first to startle you which may loosen the handbag out from under your arm.)
2) I'd also probably find the closure to be a little annoying and leave it open. But then that's not the safest.
3) The adjustable shoulder strap does not have a loop for the tail end of the leather strap. That probably means (unless you wrap the leather bit during storage) that the leather will eventually lift and stick out. That's a pet peeve for me.
4) It's smooth leather, I'd be concerned about scratches. (But that's just me, I don't baby my bags and am pretty rough with mine.)

Just my initial thoughts, hope that helps! Happy early birthday!

Thank you so much for this detailed response! I truly appreciate it.These are definitely things to consider. I assumed the 5 a 7 bucked and zipped. I didn’t realize it was open the whole time. Seeing them in person will definitely help me decide!

Reactions: lill_canele
Between these two bags, it would come down to which one feels better when you hold or wear it. The Prada looks like it has a longer drop and might also sit closer to the body and maybe stay put with less fuss. The YSL looks to be slightly dressier bag. Both are good choices!

Thank you! These are definitely things to consider.

I would also suggest you to go and try them both, to see what feels better to your taste.
I would personally never buy Prada leather bag, I had issue with their SLGs few years ago (fell apart after few weeks of usage) which put me off Prada forever.

Btw I was also on a hunt for underarm easy to wear bag, and my choice is Celine Ava bag in tan leather with detachable strap. I would definitely suggest you to check that one as well if its up to your aesthetics. It has similar shape to SL, but also zipper closure, strap can be adjusted to two lengths for underarm, and you can also detach it (I plan to buy reserve canvas strap for more causal look). I was obsessing with that bag for months, was planning to get it later this year, but got it few days ago right before PI. Its really gorgeous :love:

I would also suggest you to go and try them both, to see what feels better to your taste.
I would personally never buy Prada leather bag, I had issue with their SLGs few years ago (fell apart after few weeks of usage) which put me off Prada forever.

Btw I was also on a hunt for underarm easy to wear bag, and my choice is Celine Ava bag in tan leather with detachable strap. I would definitely suggest you to check that one as well if its up to your aesthetics. It has similar shape to SL, but also zipper closure, strap can be adjusted to two lengths for underarm, and you can also detach it (I plan to buy reserve canvas strap for more causal look). I was obsessing with that bag for months, was planning to get it later this year, but got it few days ago right before PI. Its really gorgeous :love:

I will definitely go check them both out.
Sorry you had that experience with Prada leather, that’s disappointing! I don’t own anything by Prada yet, or YSL so I have no experience with the quality. I’m going to look up the Celine bag! And thanks for the feedback :smile:

I’m looking for an underarm back to treat myself for my upcoming birthday. I plan on checking out the YSL 5 a 7 and the Prada Cleo. Just wants simple grab and go bag, that’s hard wearing. Any opinions? Thanks!

View attachment 5410020
Looks wise, i think both are beautiful. With the short flap and slim design of the Prada bag, it would make what you can carry in it very limited. The smooth shiny leather i personally love, but i know some people would worry about scratches or constant finger prints on the bag. You'd probably have to carry a tiny microfibre cloth in your bag to wipe fingerprints or other stains when you're out. I don't like the double silver buckles on the strap, takes away from the elegance of the bag. The YSL bag is simple, classic and more roomy. However, i would be very concerned about buying a $2500+ handbag that does not have a zip or protective flap, especially when the bag is not deep enough to keep your items secure.

Underarm bags are tough without trying them on. The feel & way they sit is so important.
Looks like the 5 a 7 can sit nicely on a bent elbow whereas Cleo could be somewhat awkward. I've not had problems with Prada leather on bags & slgs, other than handles/straps getting worn from years of use, as happens with most brands.

Looks wise, i think both are beautiful. With the short flap and slim design of the Prada bag, it would make what you can carry in it very limited. The smooth shiny leather i personally love, but i know some people would worry about scratches or constant finger prints on the bag. You'd probably have to carry a tiny microfibre cloth in your bag to wipe fingerprints or other stains when you're out. I don't like the double silver buckles on the strap, takes away from the elegance of the bag. The YSL bag is simple, classic and more roomy. However, i would be very concerned about buying a $2500+ handbag that does not have a zip or protective flap, especially when the bag is not deep enough to keep your items secure.

These are all very good points! Thank you !

Underarm bags are tough without trying them on. The feel & way they sit is so important.
Looks like the 5 a 7 can sit nicely on a bent elbow whereas Cleo could be somewhat awkward. I've not had problems with Prada leather on bags & slgs, other than handles/straps getting worn from years of use, as happens with most brands.

Yes, how it sits is definitely important! Good to hear your experience with the brand has been positive.