Help me decide...vintage Hermes Kelly 28 or Moynat Gabrielle PM

Hi all,
I’m brand new to TPF but a long-time luxury handbag lover. I’m hoping to get some opinions on a handbag conundrum i’m currently grappling with. I don’t yet own an Hermes bag; i’ve focused on Chanel and Dior. The only Hermes bag that is my style is the Kelly. Since I am only interested in buying a vintage Kelly and haven’t ever found one at a price I would consider, I planned to investigate purchasing a new Moynat Gabrielle PM since the style is very similar. However, I just found a vintage Kelly 28 in Hunter green in very good condition at a local vintage handbag shop (pictured, although the green color doesn’t show up well). The price is very good, slightly higher than a new Moynat Gabrielle. I love the color of the Kelly, and I know the color, condition and price will be hard to find again. However, I do love the look of the Moynat Gabrielle. Whichever bag I choose, I want to wear it often. I have a fairly casual lifestyle but don’t mind mixing high-end handbags into my everyday wardrobe. Will I want to use an Hermes bag on a daily basis? Are there any Kelly 28 owners out there who use their bags often? Does anyone also own a Moynat Gabrielle, and, if so, what is your preference?

2EEDA7C0-4901-48EF-AA7D-41CF868E8398.jpeg

Hi all,
I’m brand new to TPF but a long-time luxury handbag lover. I’m hoping to get some opinions on a handbag conundrum i’m currently grappling with. I don’t yet own an Hermes bag; i’ve focused on Chanel and Dior. The only Hermes bag that is my style is the Kelly. Since I am only interested in buying a vintage Kelly and haven’t ever found one at a price I would consider, I planned to investigate purchasing a new Moynat Gabrielle PM since the style is very similar. However, I just found a vintage Kelly 28 in Hunter green in very good condition at a local vintage handbag shop (pictured, although the green color doesn’t show up well). The price is very good, slightly higher than a new Moynat Gabrielle. I love the color of the Kelly, and I know the color, condition and price will be hard to find again. However, I do love the look of the Moynat Gabrielle. Whichever bag I choose, I want to wear it often. I have a fairly casual lifestyle but don’t mind mixing high-end handbags into my everyday wardrobe. Will I want to use an Hermes bag on a daily basis? Are there any Kelly 28 owners out there who use their bags often? Does anyone also own a Moynat Gabrielle, and, if so, what is your preference?

View attachment 4792807
Personally I think the Kelly is beautiful especially in a dark bottle green-it looks in good condition too.
My advice would be to get the Kelly.
I love Moynat (I dont own any but they are beautifully made bags in superb leather) BUT I think the Kelly would hold its value better especially if you send it to H spa.
I would however have it properly authenticated either before you buy it or post purchase.

When I purchased my first Kelly, it was a black box vintage 32 in ghw. I thought it was so chic and that it would go with everything.

I ended up reselling because in the end....the Kelly shape + black color + dressy box leather + ghw ended up looking wayyyy too formal for anything in my daily life or weekend.

I thought it was the perfect first Kelly because it was in ***great condition for vintage, it didn’t have a crazy price, and it was attainable.***

However, I just didn’t love that it ever fit into my lifestyle when I lived in Northern California. It was just formal looking as a whole. (It may have been better if it was PHW.)

Now, I have a Togo Kelly in Etain in GHW and I bust that bag out without worry. It just goes with the modern lifestyle (to me) more.

Don’t buy the vintage Kelly if it’s just for the Kelly. That’s what I did and I never used it enough. Buy what you willy truly use and love.

I'm a Kelly gal from way back. I use my Kelly very often, now less due to Covid.
What I can share is buy what you love. This particular color is a cool color,IMO
In the end you may spend a little more, but you will be truly satisfied with buying what you love.
You are wearing the bag & the Kelly is a functional bag..
The Kelly will take you day into evening for the most part.
While I think Moynat bags are very beautiful, IMO the Kelly is the Kelly & that says it all for me
It is to your advantage to have the bag authenticated before your purchase as suggested

I have the mini Gabrielle and K28s, and use the both fairly regularly. I think the mini Gabrielle can go from casual to dressy more easily than the PM size. For me, that size looks more formal. The K28 can do both looks and, as mentioned above, can go from day to night easily. If you really like the Kelly then you should consider it. Finding a K in good condition in a color and price you like is hard, whereas getting a Gabrielle is relatively easy. It sounds like you really want to get a K. And if you got a Gabrielle, would you still be pining for a Kelly? If so, then go for the Kelly.

I have both Kelly and Moynat - not the Gabrielle but the Gaby PM which is v similar to my Kelly 28 retourne. I love both and there’s no right answer - it all depends on what your heart really wants. Do you want to own an H bag? If the brand matters to you, then don’t settle for a Moynat. But if it’s the bag style you like, then go for the Moynat Gabrielle (which I find v similar to Kelly sellier). Then you get the choice of color/leather/size without worrying about authenticity.

Btw I’m not into the more formal style of sellier as I prefer a more relaxed bag look. While I love my Kelly’s, I would not choose box + sellier combo (vintage or otherwise) as like @missD said, it’s not something I could see myself using comfortably.

Reactions: Whensheworeyellow
Thank you for all of the the thoughtful responses thus far! It’s so nice to be able to gather advice from fellow handbag addicts! @A bottle of Red, it’s funny that you mention that because I was wondering this myself. I just might post on the Moynat thread too. To be honest, while I admire the craftsmanship and quality of H bags, i’ve never aspired to own one since I didn’t think it would suit my lifestyle. While i’ve never seen a Moynat in person, it looks like a bag that is more my style. But, oh, that bottle green color is beautiful! Good point about a Kelly transitioning easily from day to night though...I hadn’t even considered that. I think i’ll wait a few weeks...if the green H is still in the shop i’ll have it authenticated as suggested and go from there!

Hi all,

View attachment 4792807
Although the price of the Kelly might seem good, please take a closer look as it seems the box leather starts to crack. Box can be refurbished easily, but only when it hasn’t started cracking. I am specifically looking at the flap area.
I have both bags and even owned the green Kelly you are looking at. I loved the green but hardly ever reached for it as it seemed so formal with the gold hardware. I ended up selling it. In comparison, I gravitate towards my Moynat Gabrielle (BB sizes) more as it is easy to handle, a grab and go bag for me. However, I do adore both and appreciate having them in my collection.

I was about to point out that the Box leather on this Kelly is quite dry. Hermes will not be able to refurbish this completely back to pristine and I hope you are ok with that. I cannot advise further as I am not a Moynat owner however I do carry vintage Sellier Box Kellys like this one and I have a very casual lifestyle. This is likely Vert Fonce. Good Luck with your decision.

That's excellent spotting @pinkorchid20 and @periogirl28...I did notice some slight cracking near the upper part of the flap but wasn't aware that it couldn't be completely refurbished. I don't mind it so much now, but I wonder if the cracking will inevitably worsen over time? Even if properly conditioned? That might give me pause.

That's excellent spotting @pinkorchid20 and @periogirl28...I did notice some slight cracking near the upper part of the flap but wasn't aware that it couldn't be completely refurbished. I don't mind it so much now, but I wonder if the cracking will inevitably worsen over time? Even if properly conditioned? That might give me pause.
Yes it might worsen. When Paris takes it in, they will try to condition it as far as possible, as they did my vintage box bags. For a long period it may look better, the white, lifted areas will be polished down and appear shiny and smoother. My vintage Box Kelly (1981) and Constance (1977) both have dry, lightly cracked handles, but the handles can be completely replaced when I am ready. I personally would not buy a bag with cracking on the flap or body because that’s major replacement and matching that large piece esp in vintage VF Box, to the rest of the bag is much more challenging. The flap on a Kelly is one piece of leather and continues to the back panel. I dare say it’s the largest single piece of leather used in a Kelly. I also have to say that the 2 bags I mentioned, I bought at crazy low prices via sellers personally known to me, because they priced it to reflect future replacement cost of the handles.

Yes it might worsen. When Paris takes it in, they will try to condition it as far as possible, as they did my vintage box bags. For a long period it may look better, the white, lifted areas will be polished down and appear shiny and smoother. My vintage Box Kelly (1981) and Constance (1977) both have dry, lightly cracked handles, but the handles can be completely replaced when I am ready. I personally would not buy a bag with cracking on the flap or body because that’s major replacement and matching that large piece esp in vintage VF Box, to the rest of the bag is much more challenging. The flap on a Kelly is one piece of leather and continues to the back panel. I dare say it’s the largest single piece of leather used in a Kelly. I also have to say that the 2 bags I mentioned, I bought at crazy low prices via sellers personally known to me, because they priced it to reflect future replacement cost of the handles.
As @periogirl28 has already mentioned, it can worsen over time. I have experienced the same, and as soon as the cracking has become apparent, the leather seems to be more susceptible to becoming dry further (assume as humidity, dirt etc. can penetrate the surface a lot easier). I felt the cracked area became larger in a short amount of time and therefore agree that in this particular case with the flap being affected, I would not purchase the bag, no matter the price. Replacing this piece would be incredibly cost- (and labour-) intensive. If you are patient for a little while, you'll be able to find quite some good deals on Vintage Kellys (also, there are quite a lot out there, at least in my part of the world, so you should have a good variety of prices and conditions to choose from). Good luck!

Thank you for saving me from a bag purchase I might eventually regret down the road. No wonder that bag has been in the store for years and the store owner was conditioning the bag as he was trying to sell me on it! I've also researched the asking price further and found that the bag is actually priced slightly higher than comparable Kellys on popular resale sites. Not the great deal that I originally thought. Now I will be on the hunt for a vintage Kelly in Vert Fonce armed with much more knowledge!