Help me decide please, White in the winter?

Docjeun

Sep 15, 2012
I am going to a wedding in February, the weather is your typical cold winter, nothing out of the ordinary.
I've found a black lace dress that I love, there is also a white coat with black lace that goes perfectly with it but I'm not sure if I should wear the white coat in the winter. It's a light weight material mostly white with a bit of black lace here and there.
What do you think?

I think the weather that day or days before may be your biggest obstacle. If you are in an area where it snows, you may have dirty snow (ex. snow removal, salt, etc.). I would wear it. Sounds lovely! I guess length may matter, too, even with rain.

I'd be more worried about wearing white to a wedding than wearing it in the winter. If just your upper body is photographed will it appear that you are in all white?

Well I won't be photographed and if I was it's just the coat, I'll only be wearing it to church. Since it does have black on it in patches of lace, my concern wasn't about wearing it to the wedding but more so wearing it during the winter months and if it's appropriate for the season. I've never worn white at that time of year.

Thanks for all the feedback ladies!

If it's a coat, I would think you could wear it in the winter. You may not want to wear it on a dirty or wet day. It may not look good in snow because clean snow tends to be more blue than pure white on textiles and it might look dirty. Winter white (ivory) would be fine.

Not sure about the wedding. Do you have a pic of the coat? Would it be off during the ceremony and reception?

I would ask your local dry cleaner, about the effects of dirty snow/slush on white. If it's something that they can easily get out, then I would wear it and be happy in it!

Thank you all.
I'm going to go back to the store and take another look at it. I'm pretty sure it's a very blue white.

You mentioned it has black lace detailing, I think it's more than fine to wear it to a wedding, it's a coat not a dress, you aren't wearing it inside etc and the black accents actually on the coat take it out of the wedding attire faux pas category IMO.

I have a number of white coats that I wear in the Winter, everything from cool to warm whites and they look fine. I don't wear them if I'm doing a lot of foot traffic outside and I'm likely to get splashed by dirt but for events they have always served me well when paired with colours like red, black or other degrades of white/cream/taupe.

I say go for it, please post pics if you do...

Actually I might just pop in to take a picture of it and the dress, I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place.
Normally when I can't make up my mind or question something I'm better off to just forget it and try and find an alternative but we'll see on this one.