Help me decide on winter coat

Pursissima

Dec 3, 2009
The winter is here, and while I do wear wool coat to office and brave the cold most of the time, I live in Chicago and I decided to buy not so great looking coat, or fashionable, but warm instead. Lots of down coats that are shorter style, but what I would like to buy is a very long down coat. I purchased a North Face Triple C long coat, but even with 700 fill its just isn't warm enough. So I need something better than that. Looked up Patagonia, Marmot, Mountain Hard Wear, etc, some jackets seem warm, but are not long enough, some are long, but not warm enough. Since ladies on this forum usually have the best advice on fashion, wanted to check and see what do you wear in extreme cold weather and which coat would you recommend I buy?

As I said the look is not so important, most down coats are bulky anyway, the brand is not important at this point either, just the fact that its warm and long. Shorter coats just don't keep my legs warm, so thats why I would like to buy a long one.

Will have to look at these brands, thought Mackage had only wool coats. Do you girls own these brands you suggested, are you happy with them?

No I don't, sorry - was just going on what I heard. I did order a parka once, unisex, but because of it being unisex, it didn't fit quite right. So didn't get to give it a test run, sent it back.

Burberry - beautiful puffer coats this season, there's a long Prosum one that's divine

Moncler - always a staple

Add - good brand too

North Face - fabulous, but tends to be more bulky

Mackage - not my thing, made in China often and the filling is often just polyester. Down for only 1200$+ coats. I think it's just absurd and nonsense.

Again thanks everyone for recommendations, I'm still searching. Its very cold here, so brands are not that important nor style, or looks, just basically warmth and that coat is long to keep me warm during walks outside.

Anyone living in colder climate cities, what are you wearing? I guess I'm trying to find personal experiences, because its easy to find a good looking coat, such as Burberry, Moncler, NF, Columbia, etc, but when you take some of those on -20 outside, they are not as warm as you would expect them to be.

Canada Goose. I found an article online that tested all major coat brands and thought they were the warmest. Some of the others are made more for style than warmth.

I have to ask, what do you usually layer underneath your coat? I had a Land's End Down Chalet Coat when I lived in Chicago, and boy was that thing ugly, but very warm. I get cold very easily and found that (I think the fill was 600, so less than your North Face) was great as long as I had a sweater on underneath.

i live in the northeast and i think a long down north face w/ 700 fill count is plenty warm (i have an eddie bauer, long, 650 count) but i think layers are what keep me warm because they insulate. you can try a parka with a zip-in fleece. i would think sports performance brands would be the warmest if you are not particular about brand or a certain style. i would also invest in top and bottom thermals. i recommend silk ones but i've heard under armour makes good ones too. i've never tried canada goose but i've heard great things about them.