Help me decide on a 35 black birkin....

RC, do you have a black non-box alternative that will work with your wardrobe as if it were black? Because you will have to avoid carrying the boxcalf Birkin in the rain. As much as I hate to admit it, the boxcalf requires some advance thought. When it's raining, I have to choose a different bag. When it's glorious and there's no rain in sight, I immediately reach for the boxcalf.

I prefer boxcalf hands down for my bags, scratches, touchy, and all, because I know eventually they will develop a patina that's very resistant to scratches and "immediate wipe down" rain drops. But I always feel slightly extra aware when carrying boxcalf. It's not the "grab and go and forget about it" bag like clemence or togo.

I'm probably not helping. I think you said you'd prefer a Birkin over a Kelly any day (is that right? not sure) and if that's the case, esp. given that a black bag is essential, if I were you, I'd make room for black boxcalf Birkin and keep the black togo Birkin for the wet days.

It's a bag your daughters will be using. I think you should have both. You are a black boxcalf kind of gal :tup:

*sigh* I just read the last few posts AFTER I wrote this....but I'm going to post it anyway *S'Mom running to hide* because I too have a black Box Kelly with canvas strap AND a Black Box Birkin and I wouldn't want to be without either. AND we're so similar in so many ways that I can't help myself BUT to post this.....So.........here goes......

RC no-one can possibly live more in the "burbs" than me!!!! LMAO! I live in a town where Birkinstocks are the norm and anything with fringe is considered too dressy!

BUT! I STILL tote my Box calf Birkin whenever I can and IMO it can be dressed down as well as dressed up.....I love when it starts getting its Patina. I love when it begins to get corner rubs. I love the scratches and the leather softening.....the bag truly beings to take on personality. I've always been a big fan of Box calf that's been well loved and used.

I say go for the Box calf. I'd also say even if all your jewelry is gold, ditch the gold hardware and go for Palladium or Ruthenium to give the bag a little "edge".

Here's a pic...just toss on a leather jacket and you've pretty much got my daily outfit.....

(There's one more thing to consider and that's about the black Togo but I'll save it for another post.......)

Attachments

• Ruthieme7.jpg
    Ruthieme7.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 143
Ok......next mind-bending post....LMAO!!!!!

Let's chat about your Black Togo Birkin in respect to the fact that you'd need to give up one for the other. I understand this. I had the same situation. Here's what I found......

Had a black Clemence Birkin. Brought the Black Box home as this was an absolute grail I had no idea I'd ever find. Now I had two black Birkins. I thought it would be ok since one I can't use the the rain and the other was practically indestructible. So, I lived with both. And then along came the Havane Swift and guess what?!?!?! Once the Havane came home I never reached for the Black Clemence again! Havane, with it's reddish undertones in that Swift leather gave every single outfit I put on a little extra "polish". Black is wonderful and I have nothing against it and I have plenty of black bags.......but when it came to keeping the black Clemence Birkin or the Havane Birkin.....well, the Havane won hands down. It actually REPLACED the black! I would never have thought it could but.....it did.

So, I'm suggesting that perhaps the replacement here if you should go with the Black Box Birkin (which I still think you should seriously consider) is the Black Togo Birkin.

*now I'm running to hide in the bathroom* GAH!!!!!!

And here's a pic of the Havane so you can see what I'm talking about.....

Black Leather car-coat,
Jeans,
Havane Swift w/Palladium.

Attachments

• Havane1.jpg
    Havane1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 133
Hmmmm...I think you have your heart set on a black box birkin already. But in all seriously, if the $$$ difference of box birkin purchase price and togo birkin sales price is too high. I suggest that you stay put.

Another point in favor of having both:

I wore my new graphite clemence Kelly out to a school function last week. Sat on the gym floor; grabbed my coat and managed to sweep my finished coffee cup over. There was enough coffee inside (with milk and whipped cream) to somehow saturate the bottom of the Kelly and part of the shoulder strap and splash the side!

Worst of all, I didn't notice the bottom until it had dried :wtf: So I had cream bits dried into the stitching :crybaby:

It's fine now, but I had to TOTALLY SOAK the bottom and firmly rub the stitching, several times. And apply meltonian clear to the bottom and side. It took a concentrated bit of attention. And I was THANKING THE DEAR LORD that I had not carried anything boxcalf.

But I'm sure I would have obsessed over the spill with the boxcalf, run to the bathroom, gotten every drop off immediately. It's nice to not have to be extra careful sometimes, kwim?

You def. need both. If you do prefer Birkins, as much as you love a black bag - I think you'll kick yourself if you don't invest in both. :heart:

And yes, S'Mom has a great idea - go for a dark brown instead of the black togo! Or dark grey?

Katel and S'mom....
Oh Man!
Ok, since the black togo is a 35 maybe I could justify by keeping the togo in the 35 and getting the box in the 30....
S'Mom, do you think the 30 for box would be better since it does have the shine which makes box look bigger to me?

YES!!!!! YES, ROCKER! Do the 30cm. Absolutely. You can wear both sizes beautifully without a doubt and it's wonderful to have the two sizes in your collection.

35 cm...I know...I'm naughty sometimes ;)
attachment.php

attachment.php

BOX all the way!!!!! I've recently sold my black Clemence Birkin, and I'm waiting for a black Box 32 HAC! Or, if you use a lot of black (I don't) then keep the Togo aswell. If you have a black Box Kelly, then I think a 30 Birkin, in Box, is rather similar. I think two 35's, one in Togo and one in Box, maybe with different H/W, are pretty different! I have a passion for browns, and I have an Ebene Clemence 35 Birkin with P/H, and I've ordered a chocolate Box 35 Birkin with G/H!!! I don't use black much, so I have a 32 black Box Kelly with G/H, and soon (I hope) I'll have the HAC aswell, but with P/H. That's enough black for me!