Help Me Decide: Goodbye to My Putty or My Taupe Stam?

I love them both, I have a black stam and now I wish I'd gotten one of these colours too. If I had to choose I'd lean towards the taupe because of the fact that it has the icey leather. Angst I am feeling such bag envy!!!;)

bag.lover, thanks for your input. Besides the icey leather, the other thing that I really love about the Taupe Stam is the antiquated hardware. I definitely prefer the vintage looking hardware to the shiny rose colored hardware. Marc Jacobs, please rethink the changes that you made.

I would definitely have to put a halt on all purchases if I were to purchase a Hermes. I'm sure I could do it, and I know it would be worth it.

You make a good point about the Muses. My Large Chocolate Brown and my Oversized Black get the most use. Both of these bags are embossed with my initials, so for that reason alone, they aren't going anywhere. I could think about cutting some of the others loose though.

I have a lot of bags listed on eBay, with more to come, but I'm having a hell of a time selling them. I don't even know if I would have any luck with whichever Stam I decide to list. I do know that I don't ever want to look at another Chloe again though. My dreaded Whiskey Paddy (which was by far my worst purchase I have ever made -- this bag is so not me, and I have no idea what I was thinking) and my Python Silverado seem destined to haunt me forever. They are both brand new and I'm listing below retail (well below retail for the Python Silverado), yet I cannot sell them for the life of me. Hopefully I will have better luck with whichever Stam I end up listing.

I saw a putty in Nordstrom once and didn't like it. I thought the color looked too dull. So at first, I was going to reply, "Keep the taupe!" But after seeing your pictures, it's really hard to decide. The putty stam looks beautiful in your picture!! I'd keep both :yes: .

Thanks hermes, bag.lover, Daisy, girlie, coachwife6 and abaglover.

I wish I could keep both, but I have to let one of them go. I just don't think I can justify keeping two Stams in my collection right now. I'm going to sleep on it.

abaglover, I was sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with the Taupe. Did you ever find a new one?

harm0ni said:
The taupe stam is beautiful and looks so good with the antique hardware...I would keep the taupe, maybe because I have a weakness from brown toned bags.

Thanks, harm0ni.

I share the same weakness. I've been trying to break out of it here of late though. I generally go for a brown bag over a lighter bag. This particular shade of Taupe is yummy, and I think it works extremely well on the Stam, especially with the antiquated hardware. For some reason I feel drawn to the Putty though. But, I'm still thinking it through.

:sneaky: Decisions, decisions. You've got a real toughie here, Angst. I've been stymied. After seeing them side by side, though, I think I'd hold on to that Putty. It looks just smashing...like a real classic, and the color shows off the overall shape so nicely. I also prefer the shinier hardware on it, it just gleams. Most of the phonies have the antique brassy hardware, and, to me, even on the real thing, it just appears kind of dull and unremarkable. I'm with bag.lover on the silver nickel hardware/suede lining front...I miss them dearly, and am keeping my little pingies crossed that this exclusively gold hardware phase will soon pass, and eagerly await a stam with nickel hardware (would be killer in Graphite). I just can't wear gold, ever, so I remain stamless, at least for now. I shall squirrel away until then. Best wishes in your overnight ponderings...:rolleyes:...maybe you'll wake up and just KNOW.:smartass:

...*faint whisperings in your sleep*...Keeep the Puuuuuty

I came here to vote for the taupe ,but your putty has slouched so beautifully in your picture,I love it!! It's a heartbreaking decision though.

Hmm...a couple of members are mentioning silver hardware on the Stam...I am only aware of brassy,tarnished gold (f/w 05) and shiny gold (ss/06 onwards) ? Did I miss something?

Good luck with your sales.

QuirkyCool: Sorry for the confusion on silver hardware -- applicable to other MJ bags only. You didn't miss anything. =)

QuirkyCool said:
I came here to vote for the taupe ,but your putty has slouched so beautifully in your picture,I love it!! It's a heartbreaking decision though.

Hmm...a couple of members are mentioning silver hardware on the Stam...I am only aware of brassy,tarnished gold (f/w 05) and shiny gold (ss/06 onwards) ? Did I miss something?

Good luck with your sales.

Angst, able to come to a decision after sleeping on it? =)

The nice thing about Antique Hardware is that it can take more damage. =) It doesn't show scratches or fingerprints like the shiny hardware. Though I love the shiny hardware on Cladestine, the fingerprint-issue really bugs me -- I can't imagine it with Antique Hardware though.

Love Muse! An embossed Muse adds extra an special touch to an already classic-looking bag. It's great for professional work environment & daily/casual wear, keeping both is okay. =) Considering their sizes &
materials, I think Stam & Muse are fair in terms of pricing in the world of premium designer bags. =)

Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time selling bags on Ebay. I think it has a lot to do with the number of fake bags on the market now -- they are ruining it for both buyers/sellers. Buyers are scared of paying huge amount of money for a bag that's not authentic. Even if the bag's priced fairly, people are still concerned about 'is it real' or 'are the pictures pictures stolen'. With Paddies, the fake ones are getting better & fooling a lot of people. I'm guessing that people are holding out for cheap prices after seeing the prices of fake ones.

Angst, good luck with all your sales. I'm quite sure there'll be no problem selling either Stam -- a lot of us here are interested in it for sure. The most important thing is that it's 100% authentic! =)

Can't decide yet , want to weigh the different factors? This might or might not help, sometimes it's the overall effect rather than individual point being added up. Let's try anyway. =)

1. Antiqued Harware vs Shiny Hardware
Angst prefers Antiqued (TAUPE)

2. Icey Leather vs Calfskin Leather
Angst prefers Icey leather (TAUPE).
Putty is Calfskin rather than Nappa right?

3. Slouchy vs Structured
Angst prefers ?.
Though Putty's more structured than Taupe, many owners said that it'll become more slouchy will use.

4. ???

Both the bags are beautiful. Love the slouchy, antiqued look of the taupe but the others have mentioned, the putty is a classic beauty. So sorry I'm not much of help 'cos I love both, and I just wanted to compliment your exquisite taste. If you want to get rid of the putty I'd be glad to help in a heartbeat. ;)