Help me decide... fulfill my Pelham CRAVING or my Guccisima DESIRE?

MissLianne

PhD in shopping
O.G.
Dec 27, 2008
Gucci and LV are by far my favourite- I almost bought another LV the other day (LV Galleria PM in Mono) but I'm *sooooooooooooo* sick of vachetta... and my Gucci collection is lacking.

My HOLY GRAIL bag is the Gucci Horsebit Hobo with the braided staps in black Guccisima leather. I just CAN'T justify spending $2500.00+ on the bag (I'm in Canada)... I know I can get at least 2 gorgeous bags for that price... I can't bring myself to do it.

So these are my choices:

To fulfill my Guccisima craving:

The large large hobo with engraved gucci script logo (in black guccisima)

OR

To fulfill my Pelham craving:
The Medium Pelham (w/ braided handles) in black GG fabric

These are my questions for you guys:
1. Braided Pelham owners... do the staps fray that easily? (I've seen quite a few complaints on here)
2. How's the GG canvas on this bag?... all the Gucci bags I own are from the travel/luggage section and are more then lightweight canvas with some leather and the signature green/red. Is it true it wears very easily? I have so many Gucci's from the luggage collection that none of them have experienced heavy use and were never an "everyday" bag.
3. How's the Guccisima leather.... does it stand the test of time? I have nothing Guccisima! I would really like to hear from the owners who've had a Guccisima piece for awhile.
4. What do you think of the hobo? Does anybody own this bag? Complaints/reviews...I've never seen anyone carrying this around here!

THANK YOU

...and if you think I should stick with the LV Galleria PM in Mono over these Guccis- don't hesitate to let me know (I plan on getting the Galleria sooner or later!)

Attachments

• 137621_FAF3G_1000_full.jpg
    137621_FAF3G_1000_full.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 211933_BEG1G_1000_001_full.jpg
    211933_BEG1G_1000_001_full.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 147
I absolutely love the Pelham. I love the braided handle on it, I think it is such a neat feature. I'd love to have one of these for my collection too one day.

I vote for the Pelham, even if it's not a Guccissima just yet.

I don't know anything about the braided handles since I don't have anything like that. I have the Boston Sukey in gg canvas and I use it quite a bit and it still looks new but I purchased it at the beginning of June. The guccissima holds up well - I have my guccissima boston and it's still in excellent condition! I would normally vote for anything that's in guccissima leather but I never really liked that style of bag you posted. The Pelham is a great style - so my vote goes for the pelham even if it's in gg canvas.

I have the Guccissima black web hobo that you have pictured and I have the large chain hobo in Guccissima black leather. I will tell you that the leather is NOT the same on both bags. The GG's are embossed on both, but the leather on the web is much thinner and softer than the large chain which is thick and stiffer. I think the web has a tendency to slouch because of the thinner leather. Both are beautiful bags. If you are really going to load the bag down with lots of heavy stuff, I would go with something that has a little thicker leather which I believe the Pelham has. I have the Pelham with the braided handle, I love it.
I hope this helps you!!

I agree with the difference in leather comment. The pelham leather is much nicer. My vote would be the pelham. It's nicer bag IMO. The web hobo is ok but it doesn't really stand out to me. You can try ebay. I've seen new to like new being sold for reasonable price. Just remember to get it authenticated here first.

My pelham handles are fraying but I just cut them off. I have the canvas one though so I'm not sure if the guccissima frays.

I would choose the galleria over the web hobo. I would have a hard time choosing between the pelham or galleria.

^^
Does anybody have a pic of the fraying?

When I think of fraying I envision a cheap beach tote I had years ago where the handles were made of a fake leather and they began to fray and eventually fell apart :sad:

Here's a picture.

The reason why it frays is because the handles are made of two pieces of leather glued together. I guess the glue doesn't hold over time and it starts to split. The frays are not the leather but of the inner layer. Looks like a liner. So I guess I can re-glue it or cut them off.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 124
I had the Ladies Web Hobo on my wishlist last season but ended up not getting it. Such a great price point for guccissima. Between the 2 that you posted - I like the canvas pelham. But if your heart is set on the guccissima version...can you hold out for awhile until you can get your HG??? I know that they have a customer appreciation day in November where you can save 10% - doesn't sound like much but on a $2.5K bag every bit helps. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thank you everyone for the replies!

I went to Holts today to try on the bags but they didn't have a black canvas pelham (only brown or guccisima) and they didn't have the web hobo (only in canvas- not in guccisima) Sooo I gtg to the Gucci store downtown- Holts sucksss!

I did try on the larger version on the Pelham, I found it quite heavy and maybe a lil too large (yet I have yet to try on the smaller size)

What sizes of Pelhams do you guys own?

the guccissima on that purse isn't the same material as the old guccissima. when i was in Canada, i was thinking about settling for the wallet made of that material because it was cheaper. The SA told me this was the new guccissima that Gucci came out with. he said it doesn't hold it's shape as well as the old version does. it tends to get softer and floppier over time. i wanted my wallets to stay in shape so i didn't end up getting it. if you want it to get floppy, then it is a good cheaper choice if you want guccissima. If not, then i vote for the pelham. Medium is the best size!