Help me decide: Classic or outdated?

Crystalina

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
I have a navy blue large Kristen hobo that I bought in 2011. I used to wear jeans to my job and it was the perfect bag for me for quite a while!

Now money is a bit tight and I can't really splurge on a new fall bag right now (and I'm getting sick of the lighter colored snake print bag with khaki interior that I've been carrying).

Is this bag still fashionable/classic or will wearing it look outdated (especially now that I west mostly black and grey neutral dress clothes to work)?

Also, I'm 41 now....is a hobo like this too "young" of a style?

TIA!

I was older than you are now when I got my 2011 Kristin hobo so I don't think 41 is too old for the style. I don't expect to ever be too old for it.

I don't think it is outdated at all. Honestly, I can't think of a purse style that is outdated. There are only so many ways to make a purse so the same styles get revisited over and over. There are styles, like Kelly bags, that make me think of the 50s, but the Kristin hobos don't make me think of any particular era. The leather on the older Kristins is wonderful.

It strikes me as a classic style. I don't see anything trendy about it, especially in a classic color like navy. As far as "too young" - meh! Carry what suits your personality, not a number. I could see it on someone 16 or 100. It's just a nice bag.

It's a wonderful bag and like Whateve, I was older than you when I bought my very first Coach bag and it was a Kristin Hobo and I still have it and carry it. Navy's a great color too.

I see that era of bags all the time, frankly it is done very classic and the navy is just as in as it was back then.

Around here Coach is carried by everyone... seriously from teens through to seniors... everyone. So unless i missed a card attached somewhere to the bags saying age limits? use the darn thing. :P

"Classic", especially with the flap on the front. I'll also say "classic" because this is one of the bags that relies on its nice leather and hardware to do the talking.

(I say that because of something that struck me yesterday. I was sitting outside daughter's school, and a woman went walking out. I only saw her (and the bag on her shoulder) from the back, but she was close enough for my instinct to be "wow, nice leather, and nice, simple yet substantial hardware". It wasn't splashy, but the quality was instantly visible. Then I realized, wait a minute, that's a Zoe! Chocolate brown with brass, specifically. And to me, the Kristin's fit into that same mould.)

Last edited:
Hobos are timeless and ageless. Even though Kristin is an older line, it is still in style. I have a Laila from that collection and still it is one of my all time favorites. When I wear it, I always get compliments!

Some count navy blue among the new neutrals.

I don't think I'd even call it a "new" neutral. After black and maybe brown, Navy is probably the most popular color ever sold on vintage and classic Coaches. I can't even think of a clothing color it wouldn't look good with, except maybe brown. It's one of those "essential" handbag colors, along with black, tan, and a kick-arse bright red.

As for Kristins, I own 5 of them, almost all Convertible Hobo styles, love AND carry every one of them, and would never in a million years think that style could ever look outdated. Unlike most Signature styles, which to me DO look outdated. JMO. :biggrin:

And BTW, I'm 67.

I have a champagne Kristin hobo that I still wear seasonally. I love its leather and it's perfect droop. I don't always wear the long strap as it starts to get heavy with hardware and that feels a little dated. But if I need a crossbody bag that day, I will wear it. I'm a bit older, live in New York City and see Kristin and her sisters around town all the time, some quite worn by now.