Help me decide, boy cube or jumbo?

Jennifee

O.G.
Jun 7, 2011
Okay everyone I've had a Chanel boy gold cube (small) sitting new never used in my closet for several months…. and I just recently saw the new red jumbo with ruthenium hardware…. I'm thinking about exchanging the gold boy for the red jumbo…. I love the gold and I got it before the price increase, I'm just not sure it will be timeless and as functional as the red w/ ruthenium… I just don't want to look back in several years and think "why did I buy that tacky gold bag?"

here is a link to the red jumbo recently shown on JE2824 http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/photos-of-your-chanel-in-action-802284-571.html

and also a pic of my boy

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated!!! TIA!! :biggrin:

Okay everyone I've had a Chanel boy gold cube (small) sitting new never used in my closet for several months…. and I just recently saw the new red jumbo with ruthenium hardware…. I'm thinking about exchanging the gold boy for the red jumbo…. I love the gold and I got it before the price increase, I'm just not sure it will be timeless and as functional as the red w/ ruthenium… I just don't want to look back in several years and think "why did I buy that tacky gold bag?"

here is a link to the red jumbo recently shown on JE2824 http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/photos-of-your-chanel-in-action-802284-571.html

and also a pic of my boy

Will that particular boy bag be as iconic as a RED Chanel flap in 5 years or 8 years or 15 years? No way. Chanel flaps are classics and are timeless. Just ask yourself if you'd want to carry each bag when you are 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, etc. The boy bags are stunning, and great if you don't care if they will last beyond 5 years or not. But if you want something that you know will stand the test of time, then that bag is a classic flap. A good RED Chanel classic flap is "worth" more on the secondary market than a black one. Just look around and look at the prices. That's not to say you should buy to sell; I'm just stating that's another way to see that RED Chanel classic flap bags are at a premium and will indeed be something you'll want to carry no matter how many years go by. It's up to you to decide if you want a "bag in/of the moment" or one that you'll still want to carry in 5+ years.

Will that particular boy bag be as iconic as a RED Chanel flap in 5 years or 8 years or 15 years? No way. Chanel flaps are classics and are timeless. Just ask yourself if you'd want to carry each bag when you are 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, etc. The boy bags are stunning, and great if you don't care if they will last beyond 5 years or not. But if you want something that you know will stand the test of time, then that bag is a classic flap. A good RED Chanel classic flap is "worth" more on the secondary market than a black one. Just look around and look at the prices. That's not to say you should buy to sell; I'm just stating that's another way to see that RED Chanel classic flap bags are at a premium and will indeed be something you'll want to carry no matter how many years go by. It's up to you to decide if you want a "bag in/of the moment" or one that you'll still want to carry in 5+ years.

SUCH good insight thank you!

Je2824's red bag is to die for. You should definitely get one. Good luck.
I know! I saw it in the store and just thought it was okay but then I saw it here in the natural light and started envisioning all the outfits I would pair with it. :love: But that being said gold is a pretty good "go with anything" sort of color...

I actually have to disagree. Red classic flaps are always made season after season. In contrast, the gold cube was a limited edition and VERY few people have them and they cannot be obtained ever again.
You can always sell it in the future easily and buy a red classic flap.

Just my opinion of course...

and also a pic of my boy

Hi Jennifee, I am an owner of both boy bags and of course this red jumbo. While it is true, that the gold boy is both beautiful and unique, I think this red jumbo is unique in that it has the RHW (some like, some don't), but the red is stunning. Chanel reds are different every season, and I have learned the hard way, that if you find a red you love, then snatch it up. I really regretted not buying the red lamb that Tutu bought (13C red lamb). I actually opted out because of a boy bag that I was lusting after. I still love my boy, but a great RED classic still trumps the boy in my opinion. Also, my classic flaps have held up a little better than my boys. I wear them equally the same. HTH. Either way, you end up with a beautiful bag :P

Agree entiry that a red classic jumbo is very sought after. I have the 14C and it really does turn heads and attract compliments every time I wear it. I really don't think you can go wrong with a red jumbo. Try it and enjoy. If you decide it is not for you there will be a queue of people only too keen to buy it from you.

Great advice above about snatching up the right red for you when you see it. I love my 14C because it is such a bright shade and it really pops. If this season's red is the shade that really works for you then go grab it quickly!