Help me decide (Baby Niki vs College)

Caisah

LVoe is in the air..
O.G.
Oct 25, 2007
Hi!

I have a hard time deciding which bag to get, a baby Niki in "Storm" (or black) or a college in black with antique silver hardware. First I was thinking of getting a Gucci but there is something about the Saint Laurent bags that I just really like.

So I'm 5.5 and often wear black, white, beige, grey and blue, no patterns. If I want to play it "safe" it's better to get a black bag but I think perhaps "Storm" is adventurous enough 😄?

This is so hard...I like Niki because it seems care free and the college has a nice siluette and chain.
1000007686.jpg

1000007687.jpg

Any pro's and con's you think that I should be aware of?

TIA

One thing to note about these bags is the crinkled leather of the Niki is shiny (if you like that) and I found that the chain of the college is heavy. I went to the store to look at these specific bags and immediately discounted each one….until I saw the baby Niki in the grained leather. That’s the one I ended up with, even after yearning and almost buying the college bag online many times.

The chain of the Niki isn’t as heavy as the college, in my opinion. And I liked how the Niki could go from shoulder to crossbody in an instant. Those are the two ways I carry my bags.

But, I’ve said many times, it’s a very personal decision and what may work for me might not work for you.

I would recommend visiting a store if you have one nearby (I don’t but was visiting a city that did have one luckily). Some department stores carry them as well.

Good luck and don’t forget to let us know which one you end up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caisah
Agree with @amos99 , best to know how it feels and fits on you when you try them on at the store. It makes a world of a difference.

While I have bought quite a few bags from YSL, the Nikki and College, I have never bought. Just not my aesthetic.
However, many people have raved about both bags and how great they are so I do not doubt their quality nor ease of use.

I think it's very much a matter of aesthetics. The Nikki is on the more casual side and the College is a little more put together.
It depends on what you're going to use the bag for. If you just want an all rounder, I'd go for the College. However, I do agree that the Nikki chain is lighter. That depends on if chain weight or weight in general is a factor that is important to you.

Good luck and happy shopping! Let us know what you end up getting!

I like the Niki, because of the versatility with the strap. The college has the top handle, but the crossbody strap isn’t adjustable, so if it doesn’t hit at a good spot crossbody, then you’re stuck with a super long shoulder bag.
The Niki above is crinkled patent leather. This makes it very durable imo.

One thing to note about these bags is the crinkled leather of the Niki is shiny (if you like that) and I found that the chain of the college is heavy. I went to the store to look at these specific bags and immediately discounted each one….until I saw the baby Niki in the grained leather. That’s the one I ended up with, even after yearning and almost buying the college bag online many times.

The chain of the Niki isn’t as heavy as the college, in my opinion. And I liked how the Niki could go from shoulder to crossbody in an instant. Those are the two ways I carry my bags.

But, I’ve said many times, it’s a very personal decision and what may work for me might not work for you.

I would recommend visiting a store if you have one nearby (I don’t but was visiting a city that did have one luckily). Some department stores carry them as well.

Good luck and don’t forget to let us know which one you end up with.
Thank you for your input! Unfortunately I was close to a Saint Laurent less than a month ago but didn't take a look(normally I'm not) 😕. Sounds like Niki is the better option for me as I like being able to switch between shoulder and crossbody. I'm debating if I should pick a black one or in storm?

Agree with @amos99 , best to know how it feels and fits on you when you try them on at the store. It makes a world of a difference.

While I have bought quite a few bags from YSL, the Nikki and College, I have never bought. Just not my aesthetic.
However, many people have raved about both bags and how great they are so I do not doubt their quality nor ease of use.

I think it's very much a matter of aesthetics. The Nikki is on the more casual side and the College is a little more put together.
It depends on what you're going to use the bag for. If you just want an all rounder, I'd go for the College. However, I do agree that the Nikki chain is lighter. That depends on if chain weight or weight in general is a factor that is important to you.

Good luck and happy shopping! Let us know what you end up getting!

Thank you! Which bags have you bought (out of curiosity)? 😊
I prefer the Niki. I have the medium and it’s my favorite YSL.

Nice! Which colour do you have?

I like the Niki, because of the versatility with the strap. The college has the top handle, but the crossbody strap isn’t adjustable, so if it doesn’t hit at a good spot crossbody, then you’re stuck with a super long shoulder bag.
The Niki above is crinkled patent leather. This makes it very durable imo.

Very nice input! I think I'm safer going with a Niki. It's great that it's durable as I don't plan to baby it 🤣.

Next problem is black or grey...

- YSL envelope black on black, medium, grain de poudre, 2017 from store, still have her! :smile:
- YSL Sac De Jour, small, gray, pre-loved 2017 or 2018 (sold, too heavy)
- YSL Kate, medium, red with gold hdw, from store, 2018 (sold, fits very little even for a medium and flap started to warp)
- YSL mini Cassandra, black, mock croc, patent, gold hdw, from store, 2019 (sold, just didn't reach for it anymore)
- YSL denim Loulou, small, aged/brushed gold hdw, from store, 2021 (sold, used only once, soft but too bulky)
- YSL Midnight, patent brown mock croc clutch, from store, 2022, still have her! :smile:

- YSL envelope black on black, medium, grain de poudre, 2017 from store, still have her! :smile:
- YSL Sac De Jour, small, gray, pre-loved 2017 or 2018 (sold, too heavy)
- YSL Kate, medium, red with gold hdw, from store, 2018 (sold, fits very little even for a medium and flap started to warp)
- YSL mini Cassandra, black, mock croc, patent, gold hdw, from store, 2019 (sold, just didn't reach for it anymore)
- YSL denim Loulou, small, aged/brushed gold hdw, from store, 2021 (sold, used only once, soft but too bulky)
- YSL Midnight, patent brown mock croc clutch, from store, 2022, still have her! :smile:

Ooh the envelope is so nice! Might get one in the future ehehehe 😉. I was contemplating a Sac de Jour but, just as you said, it seems heavy. Do you have another Saint Laurent on your wishlist?

Ooh the envelope is so nice! Might get one in the future ehehehe 😉. I was contemplating a Sac de Jour but, just as you said, it seems heavy. Do you have another Saint Laurent on your wishlist?

Hmm, I have considered the Le 5 a 7 supple small in Light Musk from time to time. I'm just not sure if the simple construction is worth the price point. It's not a bad price point but I would prefer it to be a little less. It's also a pretty open bag, and with the softer leather, I am a bit worried about too much exposure.

I've tried it on a few times. It's a comfortable bag. Easy and effortlessly chic. I know those on this forum have bought it and loved it.
But hmm...still not sure. I also was tired of the logo for some time and I'm not sure how ready I am to get back into it haha.

Hmm, I have considered the Le 5 a 7 supple small in Light Musk from time to time. I'm just not sure if the simple construction is worth the price point. It's not a bad price point but I would prefer it to be a little less. It's also a pretty open bag, and with the softer leather, I am a bit worried about too much exposure.

I've tried it on a few times. It's a comfortable bag. Easy and effortlessly chic. I know those on this forum have bought it and loved it.
But hmm...still not sure. I also was tired of the logo for some time and I'm not sure how ready I am to get back into it haha.

It's a really nice bag but I see what you mean.
Logos can be tricky but hard to avoid entirely most of the time hehe.

Reactions: lill_canele
Thank you for your input! Unfortunately I was close to a Saint Laurent less than a month ago but didn't take a look(normally I'm not) 😕. Sounds like Niki is the better option for me as I like being able to switch between shoulder and crossbody. I'm debating if I should pick a black one or in storm?

Nice! Which colour do you have?

Very nice input! I think I'm safer going with a Niki. It's great that it's durable as I don't plan to baby it 🤣.

Next problem is black or grey...
My vote would be Storm. I have the Toy Puffer in Storm and it’s a very versatile grey. Black is nice too, but Storm is such a great color.

My vote would be Storm. I have the Toy Puffer in Storm and it’s a very versatile grey. Black is nice too, but Storm is such a great color.

Thanks! Ooooh how lovely! Do you have any pictures?

The Niki is so cute, it gets my vote.

Yes it's so cute and it will fit all of my essentials 😀. It's a tiny bit bigger than my small Mulberry Lily that I think look good on my proportions, so it has potential to become a success.

Reactions: Chanbal