Help me decide! Another red Kelly? Rouge Vif or Rouge H?

MrsWasik

Jul 28, 2014
Hi all! I should be on a ban right now but I have this itch for a red bag. And also, I thought it will be nice to have a box leather in my collection. Box leather has always been my first love but I stayed away because I thought it's high maintenance. But I've been told there's a coating service that I can use to water and weather proof it, so I'm straying off my ban island path [emoji44]

So here are the 2 bags that I'm eyeing.
View attachment 3441674
K32 retourne in Rouge Vif, Y circle stamp.

IMG_1471397325.959580.jpg
K32 sellier in Rouge H, T circle stamp.

I already have a Rouge Casaque in K28 Epsom sellier. Do I need another red Kelly? Which would you choose? Thank you!

Edit: the picture below is the Rouge Vif. Sorry the picture is so big!

Attachments

• IMG_3488.jpg
    IMG_3488.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,715
Last edited:
I have the twin to the Rouge Vif bag you pictured, and it's a real showstopper! I don't use it much because it is so bright and I tend to be more understated, but every time I look at it, I fall in love with it all over again. That said, if you already have a Rouge Casaque Kelly, I'd go for Rouge H, which is a whole different type of beautiful.

Keep in mind, also, that even when you treat a box bag to be more water resistant, it will still scratch more easily than other leathers.

Reactions: texasgirliegirl
I have both rouge H, and rouge casaque in sellier Kelly's, and they are very different. I would go for the rouge H, I think the VIF is too close to the casaque. Gorgeous bag, by the way!

I have the twin to the Rouge Vif bag you pictured, and it's a real showstopper! I don't use it much because it is so bright and I tend to be more understated, but every time I look at it, I fall in love with it all over again. That said, if you already have a Rouge Casaque Kelly, I'd go for Rouge H, which is a whole different type of beautiful.

Keep in mind, also, that even when you treat a box bag to be more water resistant, it will still scratch more easily than other leathers.

Thanks for your input ladies! Hmm thanks for the warning catsinthebag, I will keep that in mind that it will scratch easily. Maybe I SHOULD reconsider box. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. So far they haven't damaged any of my bags but I wonder if the box bag can stay smooth for Long!

All my collection have been in box
I regularly condition and clean in.. about every 6 months.

I wore it in the rain.. so far so good. But I always wipe it dry once I m out of the rain. The scratches on box leather can easily buff out as long as its not deep ones.

All my collection have been in box
I regularly condition and clean in.. about every 6 months.

I wore it in the rain.. so far so good. But I always wipe it dry once I m out of the rain. The scratches on box leather can easily buff out as long as its not deep ones.

How do you condition it? Do you use DocRide's method?

Hi all! I should be on a ban right now but I have this itch for a red bag. And also, I thought it will be nice to have a box leather in my collection. Box leather has always been my first love but I stayed away because I thought it's high maintenance. But I've been told there's a coating service that I can use to water and weather proof it, so I'm straying off my ban island path [emoji44]

So here are the 2 bags that I'm eyeing.
View attachment 3441674
K32 retourne in Rouge Vif, Y circle stamp.

View attachment 3441654
K32 sellier in Rouge H, T circle stamp.

I already have a Rouge Casaque in K28 Epsom sellier. Do I need another red Kelly? Which would you choose? Thank you!

Edit: the picture below is the Rouge Vif. Sorry the picture is so big!
The RH bag is gorgeous and timeless.
SInce you already have RC, I would encourage you to go with the Rouge H bag.
Don't be afraid of box leather...it can always get refurbished. DocRide's polishing technique works beautifully as well.

Reactions: MrsWasik
Thanks for your input ladies! Hmm thanks for the warning catsinthebag, I will keep that in mind that it will scratch easily. Maybe I SHOULD reconsider box. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. So far they haven't damaged any of my bags but I wonder if the box bag can stay smooth for Long!

I once took my box Kelly to get my hair done. There's a cabinet at my hairdresser's station where you can put your bag so it won't get splashed or anything. But the top of the cabinet was just a little short and the handle rubbed against the top of it. I had just gotten the Kelly and was horrified to see that rub mark! It buffed out but not all the way. As others have said, Box leather can be refurbished, but you're not going to take the bag to spa for every single scratch. So some of it you'll have to live with, at least for a while. That said, I still may get a black box Kelly someday....

It depends on whether you want a classic (RH) or a fairly rare (RV) box colour. I think you will know yourself which is your red - look to your lips and red lipstick choice for advice ;)

Personally, I wouldn't coat box with anything H doesn't supply as eventually you may need work done on the bag, even if just a spa, and H may refuse. I have 3 box bags, they are not everyday bags but they are serviceable and box's longevity is one of its finest qualities

Reactions: MrsWasik
Box calf isn't for the total perfectionist, but it is SO beautiful and classic! As long as you can stand minor scratches (usually you can't see them from a foot or two away, or they only show in certain lights) and avoid deep gouges, you can keep a box K looking amazing.
I would go for the Rouge H because it's such a true classic, but if you love the Rouge Vif more, take that. It is less versatile.
My Rouge H sellier is 36 years old and here she is, let's see if I can actually make photos work. She just gets some Blackrocks now and again.

View media item 243