Help Me Choose

gatorpooh

O.G.
Dec 21, 2006
I need some help. My boyfriend and I have two diamonds on hold at James Allen and we have different opinions to which would be the better stone. I'm sure they are both beautiful, but I was hoping for some additional feedback.

Diamond #1
1.5 carat
H color
3x
VS2
Table 60%
Depth 59.4%
Crown Angle 32.5
Pavilion Angle 41
Diameter 7.45mm
Scores a 1.4 on HCA

Diamond #2
1.7 carat
I color
Excellent cut, polish, very good symmetry
VS2
Table 55%
Depth 62%
Crown Angle 34%
Pavilion Angle 40.6
Diameter 7.64
Scores a .7 on the HCA

Gemologist says that a trained eye will notice the color difference but it is very slight. Both have very small surface inclusions on the table, with the inclusion on the 1.7 being slightly larger. The gemologist stated that the 1.5 is completely eye clean, and that the 1.7's inclusion is only visible when the stone is held at exactly the right angle and viewed by a "trained eye".

There is no significant price difference.

I'm a little worried about the .7 score but I'm not sure if this is even an issue.

I have decided on the Tacori 2620 setting with pave band if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

Neither, if you're not happy with the clarity on the 2nd. That inclusion on #2 would never fly with me, and I don't believe for a minute that's eye clean. My definition of eye clean is can I see it without a loupe, at all, from ANY distance, in ANY lighting from ANY angle? If it can possibly be seen without a loupe, at all, it's NOT eye clean. And that stone, I don't believe will be eye clean.

But #1 is not an acceptable cut quality. The table is too big and the crown and pavilion angles are not appropriate. So I'd keep looking.

Neither, if you're not happy with the clarity on the 2nd. That inclusion on #2 would never fly with me, and I don't believe for a minute that's eye clean. My definition of eye clean is can I see it without a loupe, at all, from ANY distance, in ANY lighting from ANY angle? If it can possibly be seen without a loupe, at all, it's NOT eye clean. And that stone, I don't believe will be eye clean.

But #1 is not an acceptable cut quality. The table is too big and the crown and pavilion angles are not appropriate. So I'd keep looking.

Thanks Ame. I also have serious reservations about the inclusion in that stone. I have excellent vision and notice a lot of things other people don't. I also know it is there and I will be looking for it. I agree about the numbers in the 1.5 not being great. The gemologist at James Allen actually said that stone was the best choice for us. I disagreed.

If we do return the stone, I need to try to find something rather quickly. My boyfriend has a trip planned to NYC in 6 weeks and he wants the finished ring by then. Tacori can't do the setting until they have the exact specs of the stone. They take about 4 weeks to send the setting so we are cutting it close. All of the links you sent last month were amazing, but we have since changed our budget to $13,000 for the diamond so I could get at least a 1.5 :smile:

We are picking the stone up today, so I will post later.

Thank you so much for your input!

Personally, I would not rush this at all. I know it is very exciting but you'll have it forever so does it matter if it is somewhat delayed? I personally would keep looking for better but if I were to pick one of the two, it would be the one without the inclusion on the table (which is highly visible in that photo and will be in person)/ very good symmetry. To me, symmetry should be excellent. Polish is fine to be very good, but not symmetry.

Personally, I would not rush this at all. I know it is very exciting but you'll have it forever so does it matter if it is somewhat delayed? I personally would keep looking for better but if I were to pick one of the two, it would be the one without the inclusion on the table (which is highly visible in that photo and will be in person)/ very good symmetry. To me, symmetry should be excellent. Polish is fine to be very good, but not symmetry.

Agreed on every details

I don't have to pick one of the two. I think if I find something in the next couple of weeks, we can still have the ring within the desired timeline. If I don't, so be it. I will keep looking. I know there are a lot of beautiful stones out there within my budget. I just have to find them :smile:

Ok, I am baffled. We picked up the stone and although I have only had it for about an hour, I can't seem to find that inclusion. I have looked both outside in natural light and here at work. I am going to inspect it further when I get home, but could it be that it is so noticeable in the picture because it is 40x magnified? The stone is gorgeous otherwise.