Help Me Choose My First "Fun" Bag

apursenewbie

Oct 14, 2020
As my name implies, I'm new to the purse game. I purchased my first Coach bag a month ago and now have 5 total.

All in black or brown :huh:

My reasoning was that I wanted to get all of my basics out of the way first. You know, bags I can grab to wear with anything.

But now I'm ready to shake it up :graucho:

I looked at a confetti pink bag yesterday. As pretty as it is, I just don't think I'd get enough use out of it.

Please share your suggestions for bag color. Something other than black or brown but that is still versatile.

That is really hard to do because we are all so different in what we prefer. I will say that some of my favorite bags I have are purple, though. :smile: But I have many bags with fun prints, etc, that I love too.

Reactions: apursenewbie
That is really hard to do because we are all so different in what we prefer.
Agreed. I know this is a wildly variable decision based on pure preference but thanks for answering. I'm just looking for ideas on where to start.

Oddly enough, I saw a purple Coach bag today that caught my eye but can't remember the name of it :doh: I surprised myself because purple is one of my least favorite colors but this one was a beaut.

Oogle, this bag is lovely. I was all set to add it to my cart until I checked its dimensions. As a small bag chick, it's much too wide and boxy for me. I wish this weren't the case because I adore the thick strap and the color and design.

As a matter of fact, you've nudged me in the direction of getting a red bag. It's my favorite color and it'll be a nice pop for a lot of my outfits.

Agreed. I know this is a wildly variable decision based on pure preference but thanks for answering. I'm just looking for ideas on where to start.

Oddly enough, I saw a purple Coach bag today that caught my eye but can't remember the name of it :doh: I surprised myself because purple is one of my least favorite colors but this one was a beaut.

Oogle, this bag is lovely. I was all set to add it to my cart until I checked its dimensions. As a small bag chick, it's much too wide and boxy for me. I wish this weren't the case because I adore the thick strap and the color and design.

As a matter of fact, you've nudged me in the direction of getting a red bag. It's my favorite color and it'll be a nice pop for a lot of my outfits.
Red is a great way to start with a "fun" bag. I'm similar in that most of my bags are neutrals. My "fun" bags are a Cherry Coach Dinky and a Coquelicot LV Alma BB. They go with a lot while still adding a pop of color and fun. Good luck deciding and post pics of whatever you decide!

I would say start with looking at your wardrobe. Do solid or prints work better for you? Then determine what colors would pop or you would tend to favor. There are some great color options out there you might love, but if it won’t work for you then you’ll never wear it.

i agree with the suggestion above to look first into your wardrobe. if you wear mostly prints, then a solid colored bag (in a fun color) might be a better choice. if you wear mostly solid colors, then a printed bag may be a nice fun (and useful) option.

i also suggest to start with a small crossbody. i find that small bags in fun colors or prints are easier to wear. red is an easy choice to start with as suggested above. i also like green, pink or yellow as as an alternative to red to provide a pop of color. depending on what im wearing, they can blend and match or provide a nice contrast.

Welcome! Great 1st brand. Coach was always my 1st love. Now I have come back. It is the classics that hooked me. So let's see.. for fun, I always prefer a pop of color. Whereas, less fun are more muted. That is me. I have a lot of pinkish bags... I also wear a lot of pinks and purples and browns. So, the bags tend to blend well with my clothes. I sort of strive for that always put together look with a few select things. I do have one red... I have red wallets. I do got for lots of colors on my SLG. I feel like I am loving the new green color on the Willis and the Azur color on the turnlock for example of fun and statement pieces. Post some pics of what you like and see how they go with your clothing style.

Red is a fun color, that can be worn year round, and never goes out of style. White or very pale colors can have color transfer issues.

What color do you wear most? I'd say either a purse in that color, or a color you think looks good with the color you wear most.

Another option is a fun metallic color - gold, rose gold, silver, bronze, etc. They go with everything like black and brown, but are more fun and eye catching.

Red is a fun color, that can be worn year round, and never goes out of style. White or very pale colors can have color transfer issues.

What color do you wear most? I'd say either a purse in that color, or a color you think looks good with the color you wear most.

Another option is a fun metallic color - gold, rose gold, silver, bronze, etc. They go with everything like black and brown, but are more fun and eye catching.
Oh girl... wait.. hold up... totally forgot about Metallics!!! We are gonna have some fun with this! I LOVE those and have a few... they are SO much fun. I love to have fun and flare in my style, because well why the hell not? I have this amazing purse, MK, not Coach, and it is a shiny pink metallic shimmer. I feel like a mermaid when I wear it...

So , here is what I would ask - do you pair and dress the outfit to go to the bag, or the bag to go to the outfit...

The color I wear the most... hmmm.. that is like my kinda like my signature color...ohh I like thinking about this..... thinking.... I would say, I go between reds and pinks. (so deep blush) I love how they looks with brown / tan shades.

Reactions: JenJBS
Oh girl... wait.. hold up... totally forgot about Metallics!!! We are gonna have some fun with this! I LOVE those and have a few... they are SO much fun. I love to have fun and flare in my style, because well why the hell not? I have this amazing purse, MK, not Coach, and it is a shiny pink metallic shimmer. I feel like a mermaid when I wear it...

So , here is what I would ask - do you pair and dress the outfit to go to the bag, or the bag to go to the outfit...

The color I wear the most... hmmm.. that is like my kinda like my signature color...ohh I like thinking about this..... thinking.... I would say, I go between reds and pinks. (so deep blush) I love how they looks with brown / tan shades.

My metallic bags are among my favorite!

It varies. Some days I need/want to wear a specific outfit (due to weather/planned activity/etc), then pick a bag to go with it. But if's it's nice weather, and a basic work day I'll decide on a bag, and pick an outfit to go with it. Off work hours, I like wearing jeans and a black top and black shoes, and I can wear pretty much any bag I want with that outfit. :smile:

Sounds like a red bag would be a great choice! Can be worn year round, and especially great for Christmas and Valentines seasons.

My metallic bags are among my favorite!

It varies. Some days I need/want to wear a specific outfit (due to weather/planned activity/etc), then pick a bag to go with it. But if's it's nice weather, and a basic work day I'll decide on a bag, and pick an outfit to go with it. Off work hours, I like wearing jeans and a black top and black shoes, and I can wear pretty much any bag I want with that outfit. :smile:

Sounds like a red bag would be a great choice! Can be worn year round, and especially great for Christmas and Valentines seasons.
LOL. I wear my red bags and red outfits for the months of Dec, Jan, and Feb. I do my colors seasonally too.
Fall - deep reddish browns and black bags. Winter - winter white /silver and red and red / brown ( think LV or MK) Spring/ Summer - Neutrals and Blush light pinks, whites and shimmer metallic of course!

Reactions: JenJBS
A "fun bag" for me is something a bit over-the-top that I'll usually wear with a solid color outfit, usually the outfit is casual and in denim or linen, or just a t-shirt and jeans. My favorite Fun Bag is and will always be my 2004 Scribble Stitch Pocket Flap for those days when I don't take myself too seriously, and I think with the Scribble line, Coach wasn't taking themselves too seriously either. I love the embroidered Cs. :love: They show up occasionally on Fleabay, style number 1855 but watch out for fakes.

Here's Coach's pic, I've replaced the short strap on mine with a matching Hibiscus crossbody strap. Click on the thumbnail:

1855_Scribble Stitch pocket flap-LG-b.jpg

ETA - Here's a close-up of the Scribble Stitch embroidery on a different style:

1847_SCRIBBLE STITCH POCKET SATCHEL, Jade-3-sm.jpg

Last edited:
A "fun bag" for me is something a bit over-the-top that I'll usually wear with a solid color outfit, usually the outfit is casual and in denim or linen, or just a t-shirt and jeans. My favorite Fun Bag is and will always be my 2004 Scribble Stitch Pocket Flap for those days when I don't take myself too seriously, and I think with the Scribble line, Coach wasn't taking themselves too seriously either. I love the embroidered Cs. :love: They show up occasionally on Fleabay, style number 1855 but watch out for fakes.

Here's Coach's pic, I've replaced the short strap on mine with a matching Hibiscus crossbody strap. Click on the thumbnail:

View attachment 5049151

ETA - Here's a close-up of the Scribble Stitch embroidery on a different style:

View attachment 5049156
OMGosh!! So so so cute!!!!
I just bought a fun one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: winter_knight
The pillow tabby is nothing but fun for me. I got the orange one but I'm also a fan of wearing lots of colors at once (no fashion rules for me).
I purchased a fun bag for my bday. I picked a color that I love but didn't have (for me it was blue). Then I thought about my wardrobe and checked to see if I would pair that color with most of my clothes.
Now here is the best part: I picked a bag that had a casual feel but also somewhat dressy and purchased accessories that made it feel more wild when I wore it. If I ever wanted to tone it down again I can by changing out the handle and strap.

I suggest looking for a Coach bag that gives you the ability to change out straps and handles.

But there are so many ways to think about fun...are you looking for a fun color, shape? Maybe a disney or anime theme?