Help me choose my first cabat

BV_LC_poodle

Feb 27, 2015
I did my mega Spring cleaning before Chinese New Year to get ready for the remodeling of our master bedroom and walk-in closet and have decided that:

1. For BV, I like their open totes, such as the Rete tote and the Lido, and bags with magnetic closure, such as the Sloane, the Bella and the Baseball hobo.
2. For security and bad weather bags, I have my Longchamp and M0851 so having the Nero Venice Degrade large Belly Veneta is good enough.
3. For small grab-and-go bags, I have my mini Longchamp and other crossbody bags. I also have my Barolo cervo crossbody and my indestructible Argento Iron.
4. For the oh-it's-so-pretty and cheer-me-up department, I have my Violet lambskin PVC detailed satchel and my Copper Ostrich Belly 76.

So I am rehoming a bunch of bags that don't fit my newly evaluated criteria, such as my Ebano Ball and my Veneta hobos. I'm also rehoming some of my bags that are duplicates (in color, mostly) of those I have decided to keep.

After this librarian has drafted a collection development plan, I have decided that maybe I can allow myself to actively look into acquiring my first cabat.
1. I would like a mini or a medium.
2. I do NOT like it to be soft and super floppy so nappa medium cabat is out. The level of floppiness of a nappa mini is acceptable.
3. Since it will be my first, I prefer to get a pre-loved just to make sure I like it.
4. For open totes, I have Argento rete, Teal metallic Lido and Gainsboro Lido so I guess I don't want a cabat of those colors.
5. I like goatskin and ostrich. I have the Ottone Sloane so maybe the Ottone cabat is out (?)

After my preliminary research, I have these on my list:
- Copper Specchio mini (Goatskin. I don't have this color. Medium would be too much orange though)
- Palmetto mini or medium (Goatskin. Multicolor seems versatile. DH said it looked like his grandmother's grocery basket though and I'm worried I might get tired of it soon.)
- Bottle Marcapunto mini (Calf skin. I have a few green bags already though)
- Lilac mini (Color is neutral and versatile. Nappa though)

I would definitely love your opinions.

Attachments

• CScabat.jpeg
    CScabat.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 406
  • lilac.jpeg
    lilac.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 387
  • PALMETTO.jpeg
    PALMETTO.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 424
How exciting! Thoughts on each are below.

- Copper Specchio mini (Goatskin. I don't have this color. Medium would be too much orange though)
Any mini will take a while to find. I just not sure about the color for you. I've not met you in person and don't know your wardrobe but based on past purchases, I'm not sure if I see you liking this color long term.

- Palmetto mini or medium (Goatskin. Multicolor seems versatile. DH said it looked like his grandmother's grocery basket though and I'm worried I might get tired of it soon.)
Again, are you a brown girl? Based on what you are keeping, I think this has too much going on for you. You got those two fabulous Rete Karung totes but they're not on your keep list and I think it's because there's too much going on for you.

This i see as a possibility. It's clean and simple and a color that goes with your SF lifestyle.

I like this choice too. Again, clean and simple and a good color. And a good year round option.

Reactions: BV_LC_poodle
The Bottle one I can totally see it in my life. Maybe the medium even.

As for the rete totes I'm rehoming, the Tobu one is indeed a bit too busy to my taste. I just listed both of them anyway [emoji23]

But then I don't know why I don't find the Teal metal lido too busy.

Attachments

• IMG_1487551011.568709.jpg
    IMG_1487551011.568709.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
I don't find the teal lido busy at all. It's one treatment with coordinating handles. It's quite beautiful. J you have elegant chic taste. I'm quite confident you'll find what will make you swoon. Just give it a bit of time.

I did my mega Spring cleaning before Chinese New Year to get ready for the remodeling of our master bedroom and walk-in closet and have decided that:

1. For BV, I like their open totes, such as the Rete tote and the Lido, and bags with magnetic closure, such as the Sloane, the Bella and the Baseball hobo.
2. For security and bad weather bags, I have my Longchamp and M0851 so having the Nero Venice Degrade large Belly Veneta is good enough.
3. For small grab-and-go bags, I have my mini Longchamp and other crossbody bags. I also have my Barolo cervo crossbody and my indestructible Argento Iron.
4. For the oh-it's-so-pretty and cheer-me-up department, I have my Violet lambskin PVC detailed satchel and my Copper Ostrich Belly 76.

So I am rehoming a bunch of bags that don't fit my newly evaluated criteria, such as my Ebano Ball and my Veneta hobos. I'm also rehoming some of my bags that are duplicates (in color, mostly) of those I have decided to keep.

After this librarian has drafted a collection development plan, I have decided that maybe I can allow myself to actively look into acquiring my first cabat.
2. I do NOT like it to be soft and super floppy so nappa medium cabat is out. The level of floppiness of a nappa mini is acceptable.
3. Since it will be my first, I prefer to get a pre-loved just to make sure I like it.
4. For open totes, I have Argento rete, Teal metallic Lido and Gainsboro Lido so I guess I don't want a cabat of those colors.
5. I like goatskin and ostrich. I have the Ottone Sloane so maybe the Ottone cabat is out (?)

Hope you don't mind me chipping in despite being new here. I remember reading in the forum that the lilac cabat handle might be more likely to discolor. It is a very versatile color though.

Just curious, what do you use to rehome your bags?

Thank you!

Hope you don't mind me chipping in despite being new here. I remember reading in the forum that the lilac cabat handle might be more likely to discolor. It is a very versatile color though.

Just curious, what do you use to rehome your bags?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum (your beautiful Sloane avatar has made an impression for some time already though)

I am a neat freak and tend to be careful with my belongings; I also don't apply hand lotion on my palms, so I think I should be fine with lighter color in general but that's definitely a good point to consider.

I list my bags on ebay and Tradesy. I should be start looking into consigning them but have been too lazy. Maybe the desire for a cabat is enough of an incentive for me to do so.

Welcome to the forum (your beautiful Sloane avatar has made an impression for some time already though)

I am a neat freak and tend to be careful with my belongings; I also don't apply hand lotion on my palms, so I think I should be fine with lighter color in general but that's definitely a good point to consider.

I list my bags on ebay and Tradesy. I should be start looking into consigning them but have been too lazy. Maybe the desire for a cabat is enough of an incentive for me to do so.

I also baby my bags but living in a hot and humid place means I have to worry about sweat, which should not be a problem in SF. Would be excited to see what cabat u get later :biggrin: I would love a mini cabat but it is hard to find the right one.

seems we are running in the parallel tracks :biggrin:
i am considering a Cabat as well
i guess i know which Bottle you are thinking of, i was looking at it, too
basis my personal taste and colours i am wearing i guess i need either a black, or a dark blue/navy one
from the ones you listed for considreation i am voting for the Copper Specchio, goatsking is very durable and hard wearing type of leather, plus copper is one of my top-3 colours, literally goes with anything!!

Good luck deciding :flowers:
P.S. if during your search you'll spot a navy medium one, and you will pass on it yourself, please, do let me know!! TIA XX

I have the Palmetto in a mini. It is stiffer than lamb skin...definitely. I really like the casual happy vibe. Because of the multi colors, I usually wear it with solid colors, or a solid color coat. For a first Cabat, I would think something in a solid color would be more useful. Jmho.

I applaud your methodology in cataloguing and excessing your bags!

For me, size makes a big difference. I have one mini Cabat and several medium Cabats, and I think of them as being very different bags. For me, the mini is closer to a large handbag, while the medium is a big tote bag. I tend to reach for my medium a lot more often than the mini, probably because I have other bags that fit in the same size category as the mini. My medium Cabats stand alone in terms of size (apart from my large Longchamp Le Pliage totes for rainy days).

In terms of the particular colors and leathers, that's a nice array. If it were me, I probably would rule out any colors or leathers that give me any sort of pause and just get the one that I like the most! I am the type to overthink these types of decisions, so I know it's easier said than done. I try to imagine all of the choices as if they all were sitting on a shelf right in front of me--which ones do I pick up and try on? There are a lot of colors I would entertain in theory that I would never actually buy....

Have fun deciding!