Help me choose: Black or Cognac Downtown?

Which Year Round Color?

• Cognac

• Black

Results are only viewable after voting.

baileylab

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
Hello Everyone,

please help me choose which bag to get with a year round color.

I would like to wear it with black & beige light jackets.

Will the downtown fit over the shoulders? I'm a shoulder girl.

I'll be using the downtown for traveling abroad.

BTW I have chubby arms. 5'2" 130 lbs

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• YSL Downtown Black.png
    YSL Downtown Black.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 97
  • YSL Downtown Cognac.png
    YSL Downtown Cognac.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
May 23, 2006
Hi baileylab:I think the Downtown would be a great choice for traveling abroad. :tup: You know that it comes in three main sizes, right? It looks like those two you are considering are the small size, which is about 12" high. Below are a couple of pics of alouette (who is tiny) with her small Downtown. I might suggest that you consider the medium, too, which is about 14" high and might be better for travel. As for the color, do you already have a go-to black bag, or do you need one?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Apr 11, 2008
Voted black...as Cosmo says, you should probably go into a store and try the three sizes on, I suspect many people would be better off with a Med.

Plus, you need to try it on with your coat, as that will make a huge difference...I'm not sure my Med or Lg would fit over some of my coats...

baileylab

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
Hey Thanks for your great replies with equally great pictures too!

yup I know there are 3 sizes but a reseller quoted her sizes as 12H x 15W x 8D. And she stated that the shoulder drop is 7".

No I don;t have a black bag yet. But doing research made me realize that I think it's time for me to get a black bag.

Unfortunately I don't have a YSL store where I live.

I just wanted to know if the handles are long enough to carry on the shoulders.

otherwise I may have to choose another bag....

yslalice

on the avenue
Mar 30, 2007
For travel, I would choose the medium downtown. I voted black as well -- classic. I find the handles long enough for the shoulder, but it depends on what I am wearing (heavy coat or light jacket).
do you have a store near you like neiman marcus or saks? they could get one shipped to the store for you to try.

baileylab

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
for some odd reason i've been drawn to black bags lately. another black bag i'm considering is the Cartier Marcello in medium WITH an additional shoulder strap too! So right now i'm actually considering THREE black bags.

aaaargh!!!!

The YSL downtown, the Cartier Marcello in Large (no shoulder strap though & am deeming it a tad big. BUt it looked great on Julianne Moore & Cindy Crawford!) and the one in medium with the shoulder strap.

I have to choose VERY carefully as I don't want to buy something that expensive then not having it to serve my purpose.

baileylab

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
Hmmm black seems to win!

The cartier marcello, depending on the design has 2 outer compartments & 1 huge middle compartment. The outer pockets (though unseen) can hold water, sunnies, cash for transpo & taxis.

I'm finding a really hard time deciding as many bags I want are the same prices. I'm also partial to north/south totes as opposed to east/west ones. There were a couple of times i'd get bumped when bending down & placing the bag behind me. Quite irritating.

I just wish most large totes have at least an 8" shoulder drop. Does a longer shoulder strap make for an ugly bag?

The downtown is soo cute and elegant though. Timeless too.

Wondering also if the medium will have a longer strap drop.

Last edited: