help me choose an internship:(

Jun 28, 2007
today, i got calls saying i got an internship spot at a top pr firm and at a highly regarded publication. which one should i go with? i'm absolutely stuck, and they both have the same tasks. ahh, any advice is appreciated:smile:

today, i got calls saying i got an internship spot at a top pr firm and at a highly regarded publication. which one should i go with? i'm absolutely stuck, and they both have the same tasks. ahh, any advice is appreciated:smile:

PR firm. Print media is dying, and few publications are going to have any openings to hire in the future, and that's really what an internship is for - an "in" for a job market later. Unless you're really committed to the idea of writing for a living, that's an area in which you probably shouldn't tread. It's an industry in a great deal of flux and it probably wouldn't be as advantageous to you, in the long run, as experience in the PR world.

And I was a journalism major and am a working writer, so it pains me to say that.

Given your dream, you'll definitely make more connections in PR, and that's what it's all about. If turning down an internship, be polite, prompt and let them know that you appreciate the offer, but can't accept it right now although you think very highly of their firm and hope to work with them at some time in the future - especially since it sounds like that's the way you feel. Congratulations on your internship!!

Why the sad face? You have your pick of great opportunities! I agree with ^^ advice. Keep it all positive, but you can say you are taking another opportunity. It's never a bad thing for them to know you are in demand.

Given your dream, you'll definitely make more connections in PR, and that's what it's all about. If turning down an internship, be polite, prompt and let them know that you appreciate the offer, but can't accept it right now although you think very highly of their firm and hope to work with them at some time in the future - especially since it sounds like that's the way you feel. Congratulations on your internship!!

ITA! Go with PR, you will make better connections there if you want to be a buyer for a chain. Good luck!