HELP ME CHOOSE A LUXURY BAG

kristink5689

Dec 16, 2014
Hi everyone, getting my bonus coming up later this month and wanting to invest in a good, luxury bag to have for years to come. I’ve always been drawn to the LV Neverfull (Damier Ebene specifically), but wonder if this bag is going out of style/so many fakes out there that it’s not worth it?

I also really love the Saint Laurent Shopping Tote as well. I’m looking for a bag that can go to work to dinners/casual night out seamlessly.

I carry a large laptop most days of the week for work (dims: 15 L x 11 W, 4 lbs- so large, yuck) as well as the usuals- wallet, cosmetic pouch, keys, phone, chargers, etc.

Edit: also have always loved Goyard totes as well... thoughts on those compared to the Neverfull?

Budget is around $1500-$2000 though I’d prefer to stay on the lower end of that.

Any advice is appreciated! I am 29, live in a big city and want an investment bag that is still somewhat “in” and “trendy” if that makes sense!

Thank you!

i think the neverfull or goyard is a better choice, canvas bags are easier to take care of long lasting. and the damier ebene neverfull is just too pretty. you don't have to worry about the vachetta strap too and it doesn't scream logo too much.
i think it's never going out of style
so my 1st option is the lv neverfull damier ebene, and my 2nd option is the goyard st louis

NF all the way! I have owned all three bags and ended up selling the other two. The corners of the YSL wear down very quickly and the bag is kind of "heavy" for a lightweight tote. As for Goyard, not only do the corners wear but the handles seem to crack in almost every one...check out the Goyard threads. I currently have two Neverfulls and love them both!

Reactions: kristink5689
I am not super fond of the Goyard pattern, so I would say LV or Saint Laurent. I like the fact that the latter is made out of leather, but as someone already mentioned, canvas is extremely durable so that can of course play into the decision as well. I want both of these myself, but as I would mostly use it for travel etc, I guess I would buy the LV before the Saint Laurent. But the SL is so pretty and understated, I really like that about it!

Edit: I read lms910 post after I posted mine, if that's the case then my vote goes to LV.

Last edited:
I agree that the Neverfull is a classic design and won't go out of style. I think it's a great work bag and very durable, especially if you buy some sort of bag organizer. That being said, the YSL is absolutely gorgeous and I personally like having bags that are less popular! If you're looking for something that can fit a 15 inch laptop, have you considered the Senreve Maestra? I may be wrong, but I think it's laptop pocket can fit a 15 in. Let us know what you decide!

I think I was 29 when I got my LV neverfull....Fun slippery slope as it won’t stop there. NF is a timeless bag and there’s a reason it’s every where. I also have the Saint Laurent Shopping tote. Both are great but if you’re only getting one I’d go for the LV. I’ve heard not great things about the Goyard totes but they have some pretty amazing colors. If you can go try them on. It’ll help with your decision.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am really leaning towards the Neverfull right now and thinking the GM - is that too big for everyday wear? My laptop is 15 inches in length so I figure the MM won’t work size wise?

Additionally this is my first big investment purchase so I’m now questioning do I want/need an everyday bag such as the LV Neverfull or should I go with a Gucci crossbody (soho, marmount) style for dinners and going out?

I have quite a few smaller going out bags like Philip lim mini Pasnik, a see by Chloe bag, etc but no real nice BIG bag.

Any more insight is appreciated!

Reactions: aimee9090
If you have worries about the Neverfull being too commonplace, I have ever considered a Fendi tote? I opted for a Fendi tote as I was a bit tired off seeing the Neverfull everywhere. Fendi has both canvas and leather options available. I also personally find Fendi to be better quality then LV. Just another option to consider.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am really leaning towards the Neverfull right now and thinking the GM - is that too big for everyday wear? My laptop is 15 inches in length so I figure the MM won’t work size wise?

Additionally this is my first big investment purchase so I’m now questioning do I want/need an everyday bag such as the LV Neverfull or should I go with a Gucci crossbody (soho, marmount) style for dinners and going out?

I have quite a few smaller going out bags like Philip lim mini Pasnik, a see by Chloe bag, etc but no real nice BIG bag.

Any more insight is appreciated!

I would personally get an everyday bag that makes me happy every time I use it :smile: The GM sounds like the perfect size for your laptop, and if you also want to use it to run errands, go to dinner, etc., it's a good size!

The neverfull was my first high end purchase. I regreted the choice though because that was when I figured out i am a crossbody type of person. And the strap digs on my shoulders when i put so much. I think it depends on a lot of things like,..do you always bring a lot with you? Do you like shoulder bags? Are you comfortable? So now every time i buy a bag I always think if it can be worn as crossbody. Otherwise, it stays on my closet and thats a waste of money