help! maxi lambskin or caviar

MAXI SHW

• lambskin

• caviar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 29, 2010
Hey!

I already have a black jumbo in caviar with ghw and the M/L in lambskin ghw.

I want to get the black maxi with shw in lambskin? Is that a stupid idea seeing as it will be an everyday bag? Or should I stay safe and get the caviar.
I told my sister I wanted the lambskin and she raised her eyebrow at me :biggrin: so I kind of got the hint that maybe it's not a wise move.
But i have always dreamt of having a lambskin maxi because I love the way they age. But on the other hand I do think I need to be a bit more practical.

Or should I forget both caviar and lambskin and go for patent instead?

Please help.

Last edited:
Personally I would get the caviar as I will be too worried about taking care of a lambskin bag in maxi size and do not like patent. But I don't really associate practical with Chanel anyway :P so if you have always dreamt of having a lambskin maxi, go for it and get what you love :smile:

NOOOOOO Patent leather,,, Finger print nightmare and can not be repaired.

I have it in caviar leather and do not regret it I LOVE IT...

I have pics of it on my IG @Mrsbaglady

Good Luck buying Chanel is sooooo exciting

Is weight an issue to u? The caviar maxi is heavier than lambskin maxi. You may want to try both out if weight is an issue for you.

I use my black lambskin shw maxi as my "brief case" for work. I chose it because it's lighter than caviar. caviar would be carefree but I didn't want to put up with a heavier bag. Also, lambskin looks much more luxurious and feel so nice and smooth. :smile:

I voted for caviar. I think caviar/SHW looks great because caviar to me looks a bit tougher and so does SHW, and still so chic, while both lambskin and GHW are dressier/more luxurious.

With such a big bag, I would be so worried of scratches.

The lambskin maxi (black with GHW) was the first Chanel bag I ever bought direct from the boutique - I just didn't understand why people went with caviar; lambskin is so much better looking! I was so excited and it such a special experience :smile:

A few months later, I sold it - I did end up downsizing to a jumbo but the main incentive was the leather.I was using it as a daily bag (or almost daily) as you say you will. Within a few months, I could see the corners of the flap and at the bottom of the bag wearing down pretty badly. It was totally heartbreaking - and whilst I don't baby my bags, I certainly took care of that one. It did get scratches as well but a lot buffed out - it was the corner wear that was really bad and noticeable.

This, combined with an unwise lambskin wallet purchase convinced me of my current policy: caviar = everyday/ frequently used bags and lambskin = occasional bags.

Hope this helps - good luck with your decision!

The lambskin maxi (black with GHW) was the first Chanel bag I ever bought direct from the boutique - I just didn't understand why people went with caviar; lambskin is so much better looking! I was so excited and it such a special experience :smile:

A few months later, I sold it - I did end up downsizing to a jumbo but the main incentive was the leather.I was using it as a daily bag (or almost daily) as you say you will. Within a few months, I could see the corners of the flap and at the bottom of the bag wearing down pretty badly. It was totally heartbreaking - and whilst I don't baby my bags, I certainly took care of that one. It did get scratches as well but a lot buffed out - it was the corner wear that was really bad and noticeable.

This, combined with an unwise lambskin wallet purchase convinced me of my current policy: caviar = everyday/ frequently used bags and lambskin = occasional bags.

Hope this helps - good luck with your decision!

Completely agree. I used to be lambskin's biggest fan and I didn't own any caviar. However, the corner wear on lambskin is terrible so I only buy caviar.

Caviar for sure - I think any of the larger bags (especially the maxi) have way too much surface area for lambskin if you want to frequently use it & care about scratches/wear, etc!

Hey!

I already have a black jumbo in caviar with ghw and the M/L in lambskin ghw.

I want to get the black maxi with shw in lambskin? Is that a stupid idea seeing as it will be an everyday bag? Or should I stay safe and get the caviar.
I told my sister I wanted the lambskin and she raised her eyebrow at me :biggrin: so I kind of got the hint that maybe it's not a wise move.
But i have always dreamt of having a lambskin maxi because I love the way they age. But on the other hand I do think I need to be a bit more practical.

Or should I forget both caviar and lambskin and go for patent instead?

Please help.

throw practicality out the window!! you only get to live once so i say get what you have always dreamed about! i love love love lambskin (all of mine so far are lambskin). re: patent - i wouldn't get patent in such a large size due to fingerprints and just overall aesthetic. i think patent leather looks best in smaller sizes (ie small, mini and WOC) but that's just me.

I have 2 single flap caviar Maxis - black w/GHW and red w/SHW. I love them both dearly and carry them freely because they are NOT lambskin. I can not imagine the fear and trepidation I would have if they were lambskin! Yikes! I do have lambskin flaps in jumbo and medium sizes but carry them rarely and baby them. Go for the caviar so you can wear without worry for many years to come. Good luck deciding!

Lambskin is what Chanel is all about! Go for it. I have a lambskin maxi too (it was my first bag) and it's looking amazing after 3 years. I use bally leather conditioner on it from time to time to keep the leather hydrated and shiny. People are irrationally afraid of lambskin bags, they are a lot more durable that they look. You can buff out any scratches and it ages so well. Nothing looks more amazing than a puffy, shiny quilted lambskin Chanel bag. Get it!!!!

PS. I should also add, after you get a scratch or abrasion on caviar leather you are done for (unfortunately this happened to my caviar wallet). With lambskin you can at least minimize the appearance and buff it out.