Help! Mabel without magnetic fastening?

Hi all - apologies in advance for spoiling some reveal fun, but I've just received a Mabel from the York outlet. To my surprise, the main buckle fastening is a real buckle, and not a magnetic press stud. I owned a patent Mabel a few seasons ago which had a magnetic press stud fastening. Did Mulberry stop making the magnetic closings, or have I got an outlet special that was produced more cheaply?

Thanks in advance - in a real dilemma now as the bag is lovely but I can't cope with buckling and unbuckling all the time, and just leaving the buckle dangling with the strap separate looks a bit funny to me... :cry:

LittleMissBags - I think that the larger Mabels were the ones with a real buckle? My mini/small Mabels have a magnetic fastening on the strap, as did a medium/regular Mabel I once owned.

Hopefully, another Mabel owner will chime in here, but it could be an outlet special.......

I think it's a regular size, as I've measured it and it doesn't seem anywhere near 38cm in length (which is what it would be if it were a large size). It's approx 19cm tall and 32cm long.

I admit I sat here for a while wondering why the magnetic popper was so stiff, before realising it was a real buckle :shucks:

I have a pink patent mabel and it too has the magnetic clasp. I also have a medium sponge leather black one which has the buckle - both are medium.

I think originally all the medium ones had the magnetic clasp and the large ones a buckle. However, all the more recent "outlet/ specials" are with a buckle - as the mabel is no longer available from the website/ retailers.

Its not a problem and certainly doesn't detract from their beauty - don't worry about it -- to be honest my buckled one cost significantly more than my magnetic one!

The Regular Mabel I once had from the York outlet that I sadly had to return had a strap with a buckle and magnetic press stud.;)

I am sure I have read somewhere on this thread that they could be either way, so it may not be that your's is wrong per say. But I am no expert at all:shrugs:

To be honest I personally would have preferred to have the buckle and not the press stud, but I understand what you mean about being a bit fiddly.:nuts:

Let us know what you find out and do.;)

Thanks - am honestly not sure how I feel about the buckle. Part of the problem I think is that I have developed a serious bag crush on the mini patent leopard Alexa and while it's out of the Q for the time being, I wonder if I should gamble on it being in the sale in the new year :shrugs:

For your viewing pleasure are some pics (sorry for the iphone quality).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo_1.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 244
  • photo_2.JPG
    photo_2.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 257
  • photo_4.JPG
    photo_4.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 257
  • photo_5.JPG
    photo_5.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 249
Oh it's gorgeous I adore red bags Mabel is so lovely makes
Me miss the one I had even more. I would certainly put up with buckle. Good luck deciding. The champagne one I had was reg and had a magnetic closure. X

Aw thanks Appleproject and Messy :hugs: I admit I am very impressed with the colour and vibrancy of the leather. My large Maggie is goatskin and it's my favourite Mulberry leather :smile: I think I am going to try and track down this Lexy that's caught my attention and help me decide whether I should plough funds into that or keep this red lovely. I am going to sleep on it! :sleepy:

Wow LMB your red Mabel is absolutely beautiful! I have a medium Mabel with a buckle strap, and although I was a bit worried about it at first, it's fine now, no trouble at all.

Hi Kitbel, yes it really is a striking colour - I think the pic where it's sat on the chair is the closest to IRL. Unfortunately I don't have the bag with me atm to take daylight pics but I will try and get some tomorrow morning. It's a fabulous shade (and makes me thankful I didn't go for the coral clutch I was watching on ebay!).

Thanks for your wisdom on the buckle - I think tucking it into the loop below the buckle rather than fastening it fully all the time might be a solution to keep it looking tidy but easy-to-access. :smile: