Help! Mabel without magnetic fastening?

May 10, 2010
Hi all - apologies in advance for spoiling some reveal fun, but I've just received a Mabel from the York outlet. To my surprise, the main buckle fastening is a real buckle, and not a magnetic press stud. I owned a patent Mabel a few seasons ago which had a magnetic press stud fastening. Did Mulberry stop making the magnetic closings, or have I got an outlet special that was produced more cheaply?

Thanks in advance - in a real dilemma now as the bag is lovely but I can't cope with buckling and unbuckling all the time, and just leaving the buckle dangling with the strap separate looks a bit funny to me... :cry:

MiniMabel

O.G.
Mar 7, 2009
LittleMissBags - I think that the larger Mabels were the ones with a real buckle? My mini/small Mabels have a magnetic fastening on the strap, as did a medium/regular Mabel I once owned.

Hopefully, another Mabel owner will chime in here, but it could be an outlet special.......

rachiem

O.G.
Sep 7, 2007
Sussex
Which one have you got?
Regular Mabels were magnetic but large ones just had a strap and buckle (which was a real pain)

May 10, 2010
I think it's a regular size, as I've measured it and it doesn't seem anywhere near 38cm in length (which is what it would be if it were a large size). It's approx 19cm tall and 32cm long.

I admit I sat here for a while wondering why the magnetic popper was so stiff, before realising it was a real buckle :shucks:

numnut

O.G.
Sep 18, 2008
If only!
I have a pink patent mabel and it too has the magnetic clasp. I also have a medium sponge leather black one which has the buckle - both are medium.

I think originally all the medium ones had the magnetic clasp and the large ones a buckle. However, all the more recent "outlet/ specials" are with a buckle - as the mabel is no longer available from the website/ retailers.

Its not a problem and certainly doesn't detract from their beauty - don't worry about it -- to be honest my buckled one cost significantly more than my magnetic one!

appleproject

Nov 21, 2009
Some of the smaller older mabels have buckles. My butterscotch is magnetic and my purple patent is a buckle. But it's not half as annoying as I thought it would be:smile:

Tarababe

O.G.
Jul 13, 2010
Durham
The Regular Mabel I once had from the York outlet that I sadly had to return had a strap with a buckle and magnetic press stud.;)

I am sure I have read somewhere on this thread that they could be either way, so it may not be that your's is wrong per say. But I am no expert at all:shrugs:

To be honest I personally would have preferred to have the buckle and not the press stud, but I understand what you mean about being a bit fiddly.:nuts:

Let us know what you find out and do.;)

May 10, 2010
Thanks - am honestly not sure how I feel about the buckle. Part of the problem I think is that I have developed a serious bag crush on the mini patent leopard Alexa and while it's out of the Q for the time being, I wonder if I should gamble on it being in the sale in the new year :shrugs:

For your viewing pleasure are some pics (sorry for the iphone quality).

Attachments

appleproject

Nov 21, 2009
She's beautiful. You seem to have the more solid zip pulls which are a sign of an older bag as well I think- my purple patent has them too.

Last edited:

MESSY

O.G.
Nov 5, 2009
Cheshire, UK
Oh it's gorgeous I adore red bags Mabel is so lovely makes
Me miss the one I had even more. I would certainly put up with buckle. Good luck deciding. The champagne one I had was reg and had a magnetic closure. X

May 10, 2010
Aw thanks Appleproject and Messy :hugs: I admit I am very impressed with the colour and vibrancy of the leather. My large Maggie is goatskin and it's my favourite Mulberry leather :smile: I think I am going to try and track down this Lexy that's caught my attention and help me decide whether I should plough funds into that or keep this red lovely. I am going to sleep on it! :sleepy:

kitbel

O.G.
Apr 8, 2010
Wow LMB your red Mabel is absolutely beautiful! I have a medium Mabel with a buckle strap, and although I was a bit worried about it at first, it's fine now, no trouble at all.

kitbel

O.G.
Apr 8, 2010
Can I ask, is the colour as vibrant in real life as it looks in your photos? If so I really want one!!

May 10, 2010
Hi Kitbel, yes it really is a striking colour - I think the pic where it's sat on the chair is the closest to IRL. Unfortunately I don't have the bag with me atm to take daylight pics but I will try and get some tomorrow morning. It's a fabulous shade (and makes me thankful I didn't go for the coral clutch I was watching on ebay!).

Thanks for your wisdom on the buckle - I think tucking it into the loop below the buckle rather than fastening it fully all the time might be a solution to keep it looking tidy but easy-to-access. :smile: