HELP - Luggage Ideas Please

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Spring Sale is now live! Serious savings on customer favorites - up to 40% off with free shipping and free returns. Shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'd like to buy a suitcase and carry-on bag which are strong and practical, but also feminine and a bit different. The suitcase would have to be on wheels, and it would be nice if the carry-on was too, but not necessarily.

Does anyone know of any great feminine luggage brands I could purchase online? We don't have much in the way of bags where I live - it's very depressing!

While I'm asking - what should I wear for the flight from Australia (it will be mild Autumn here) to England (probably a cold Spring there). I can't sit in jeans for 26 hours. I'm tall and slim, but I'm 50, so nothing too revealing or youthful. I've never flown that far before, so I need all the tips you can throw at me.

Cheers!

2. I love these, but they are kind of expensive so I always decide not to get them

http://hideowakamatsu.com/Koura-Trolley-20-Sakura/M/B001OE5QG4.htm
    http://hideowakamatsu.com/Koura-Trolley-25-Sakura/M/B001OE3SFA.htm

I'm more into comfort than looking super stylish when traveling. I have a pair of drawstring lounge pants I've worn for a long flight before. They are Paul Frank and have a matching hoodie. The material isn't quite sweat suit, I think it is french terry. They have flared bottoms and a lower rise waist. I've also done jeans LA to London and it wasn't too bad because they were comfy jeans. Anything loungey/comfortable would probably work if you don't care too much about being ultra stylish.

3. I swear I have seen cheaper versions of those suitcases by either Paul Smith or Paul Frank, but Google failed to prove anything of that sort.

4. It is very possible that there are knock-offs.

5. I just got the louis vuitton cabin case and it is really wonderful - you can fit everything you need in it

6. Samsonite Winfield -- I just bought the pink one for my flight to Melbourne. It has 4 wheels and is a flexible hard shell :smile:.

7. They might be expensive, but the inside compartments are incredible for packing - wow! Really well thought out design.

8. I love that luggage, but it's a bit heavy! 15lbs!

9. I love all spinner luggages from Samsonite and Heys. Check out ebags.com.

I hate wearing jeans on long flights as well. I wear yoga pants and keep a pair of jeans in my carry on in case I want to change after I get off the plane.

10. i love this as a carry on (or weekend bag). it's not that spency and very cute- not sure if you can see the detail of the side pockets:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?itemdescription=true&itemCount=80&startValue=1&selectedProductColor=&sortby=&id=15068141&parentid=W_ACC_BAGS&sortProperties=+subCategoryPosition,+product.marketingPriority&navCount=105&navAction=poppushpush&color=&pushId=W_ACC_BAGS&popId=WOMENS&prepushId=&selectedProductSize=

i have it in two colors and would get a ton more if i could. the zipper's broken a few times but i always manage to fix it.

11. I swear by the spinner luggage too for international flights. Your arms will thank you!! Plus you can put your international duty-free purchases on top of the suitcase and push it out of the airport :coolio:

12. I have a great Heys carryon that I've been using for ages (maybe five years?). If you plan to use it as a carry-on, it's great. It's small enough that I can fit it into the overhead compartment with the wheels facing in and the handle facing out, which is a HUGE plus.

My last carryon roller bag was so tall that I had to put it into the overhead bin sideways, so if I was one of the last people on the plane, I sometimes had to gate check that bag because it wouldn't fit.

With my Heys, even if I'm the last person on the plane, I can almost always shift around other people's luggage enough to make mine fit.

The only downside is that some of their bags are not meant to be checked (because of the material it's made out of), so you can ONLY use it as a carry on. When I bought my Heys, there was no mention of this but I guess some people complained about damage after checking those specific bags. The tags on the newer bags now say if they are only to be used as carry ons. The rest of their bags can be checked without any problem.

The one thing I dislike about the earlier model I bought is the handle. When it telescopes up, it looks like a T (handle at the top and a single bag running down into the bag). Most rolling luggage has a handle that looks like an upside down U.

The reason you need to look at this: a T handle will not allow you to slide the handles of your other bags onto the handle of your rolling bag. I didn't realize this at first, so I just slid the handles of my shoulder bag onto my luggage handle. I managed to walk about five steps before my shoulder bag swung over the edge and pulled me off balance.

Now I don't bother trying to put anything on the suitcase handles of that bag. I just put my other bag on my shoulder.

The newer Heys models have an upside down U handle bar though, so I've been tempted to buy a new one.

The other great thing is that the Heys carryons are very light in weight so if you are flying internationally and have to deal with a weight limit, you won't have to worry about your bag getting you halfway to the weight limit.

The Container Store is having their annual travel sale, so they have a hard sided Heys Sidewinder on sale for only $99. When I was at the store, I saw silver, lime green, and orange. This one weighs under 8 lbs.

It looks like matte grey in the picture, but it's actually silver in person:
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/summerCamp/trunksLuggage?Ntt=heys+sidewinder&productId=10027382

13. I really like Diane Von Furstenberg luggage. I have seen it at some of the big American retailers online and also in T.J.Maxx and on ebay for much cheaper. I have a set and my Mom has a set as well and it is always a little stylish but still classic.

14. I don't own a DVF luggage but I find the design and color attractive..I wonder how sturdy it is?