HELP- Lost Chanel Bag & $1855 from paypal

luxlover

O.G.
Sep 2, 2007
I am in need of some much needed advice right now. I sold a 2.55 Chanel purse on ebay and I shipped the bag out to the buyer. She got the box in the mail and shes now claiming it was empty when she got it. When i shipped the box out, the shipping receipt clearly shows the box was almost 4 lbs. No way an empty box can weigh that much.

I have no idea what happened, but I am guessing maybe someone at the post office stole the bag. The buyer claims when she got the box it had priority mail tape on it. I only packaged the box with clear tape. I did write down that it was a Chanel bag on the customs form since the form asked for a detail description. So i dont know if the word Chanel made someone at the post office eye the box.

Buyer has reported this issue to paypal and paypal has now deducted 1855 from my account. So now I'm out 1855 and I dont have my chanel bag. I have no idea what to do..ughhh :sad:

i know everyone here has dealt with paypal and ebay before. any advice? what should i do?

OMG what a nightmare - I am hoping that you insured that package, please never send ANYTHING without full insurance!! Unless you're willing to lose both your $$ and your bag.

This scenerio sounds too familiar. Did you purchase insurance?

I would usually give buyer the benefit of the doubt HOWEVER with past stories in tPF and the fact that buyer has already filed with paypal even before working it out with you, I smell a scammer. Sorry lux :sad:

I dont have any advice but I will dig up the old thread for you.

Gosh, I would never write "CHANEL" down on custom forms in fear someone would steal it. The last time I completed custom forms for an international transaction, I put "handbag" on the form and paid for insurance for the full auction ending price. I hope the package is fully insured.

If the buyer lives outside of the US and the box has usps priority tape on it as she says, I suspect the bag might have been stolen on the way, how would an oversea buyer have access to the usps priority mail packing tape? I'd ask her to send you the pictures of the box- both outside and inside. I really hope you bought insurance.

If the buyer lives outside of the US and the box has usps priority tape on it as she says, I suspect the bag might have been stolen on the way, how would an oversea buyer have access to the usps priority mail packing tape? I'd ask her to send you the pictures of the box- both outside and inside. I really hope you bought insurance.

Good point! Customs may have opened the box as well, but I doubt they would use USPS tape. Usually if USPS thinks the item isn't well packaged, they put the extra tape on while you are there before it is weighed.

OP-the fact the buyer claims the box is EMPTY and not filled with rocks, and you have a mailing slip that shows the item was mailed should help you out with either an insurance claim (hopefully you had insurance!) or a legal claim.

Also, if the box was damaged or something and if USPS had to retape the box, don't they usually attach a note or something? I would want to see the picture of the box for sure.

the buyer paid for shipping and she opted to not purchase insurance. so no insurance was bought for this item...

:huh: is there anything i can do now to help me win the case on paypal?

OMG, it must have been terrible.
I think its a scam, If i were to purchase a product online that is over 1000, I would definitely purchase an insurance!!

I dont understand why Paypal deduct your money?? Was there any evidence?? like picture or anything? On your tracking information, it said there was 4LB!! 4LB is not light!. By the way, was it signature confirmed?

It is not the buyer's responsiblity to purchase insurance! The onus is on the seller to insure. Now you have no recourse to pursue a refund. Why do you think the buyer should purchase insurance? Don't you want protection in case of loss or damage?? Chanel is a big-ticket item.

You cannot blame the buyer for not purchasing insurance. And she is most likely scamming you claiming an empty box. This is the scam of scam for Chanel purchases.

the seller paid for shipping and she opted to not purchase insurance. i originally required her to pay for shipping with insurance, but she opted out of insurance and said she would take responsibility for that. i have her quoted saying this in our email threads.

in all of my past ebay purchases as a buyer, i have alway been the one required to pay for insurance if i want it

It doesn't matter what a buyer says or what you have quoted in an email. It will have no bearing on a claim filed with either ebay or paypal. I believe it is ebay's policy that insurance is purchased by the seller, or maybe they strongly recommend the seller purchases insurance.

Perhaps your buyer opted out of insurance because she knew she was going to pull a scam and leave you with no recourse of reimbursement.