Help! Looking for my first Dooney

Gwennyb27

Jun 20, 2018
Hi everyone! Quite new here. :smile: I'm looking to purchase my first ever Dooney and would love everyone's opinion. We don't have any D&B outlet here at my place so just relying online for photos and reviews. I'm drawn to the satchel style with option to carry crossbody but I can't seem to make up my mind on which exact style and color to get. I have the following in my choices list:
- Dillen double pocket satchel
- Wexford satchel
- Bristol satchel
- Patterson leather trina satchel
- Patterson leather small audrey satchel
Anybody who has these bags who can post mod shots and reviews? Are the size of these satchel same as the Kate Spade Lottie satchels (sorry, that's the one I own so can only think of this for size comparison)?

Reactions: BaguetteBlonde
Hi everyone! Quite new here. :smile: I'm looking to purchase my first ever Dooney and would love everyone's opinion. We don't have any D&B outlet here at my place so just relying online for photos and reviews. I'm drawn to the satchel style with option to carry crossbody but I can't seem to make up my mind on which exact style and color to get. I have the following in my choices list:
- Wexford satchel
- Bristol satchel
Anybody who has these bags who can post mod shots and reviews? Are the size of these satchel same as the Kate Spade Lottie satchels (sorry, that's the one I own so can only think of this for size comparison)?
I have some of these handbags, but no ability to post pics. But I will give you my input on the handbags, the more info you have the better decision you can make.

Regarding the Patterson collection: I like the leather quality and trim details very much. The trim adds a lot of interest to the handbag without being overdone. One thing to note is that the handles are sewn on and do not have O-rings that attach them. That means that the handles stand up. Handles that are on rings and fold down make it a little easier to get inside you handbag quickly. It's not a major issue, but something to note.

Also the metal accents on the Patterson collection are silvertone…. most Dooney handbags have goldtone metal accents. This is clearly just a personal preference.... some people prefer one or the other.... it doesn't matter much to me, Dooney does both goldtone and silvertone metal accents well.

I have several of the Trina satchels and find the size very good. The wide base on these bags makes them roomy without being overly large.

I always hand carry, so I don't have any input regarding cross body or shoulder carry. But check the strap length to be sure it's long enough for what you want and if it's a cross body length, does it have a removeable section so you can also carry it on your shoulder. Some of the Patterson styles come with cross body straps and some with shoulder straps. Since my straps are now separated from the bags, I can't tell which was which. Sorry.

The small Audrey satchel also looks nice, but I don't have one of those. I do have the Kendra satchel (medium size) and it's a little frustrating to get in and out of. I love the look, but the design of the bag and the fact that the handles don't fold down, makes it more difficult to get in and out of than the Trina satchel. I still have to push the handles out of the way on the Trina satchel, but it's just easier to deal with on that design.

As for color, that's a personal preference.... but I have light colors and bright colors and darker colors, and all look very nice in the Patterson pebbled leather. And the butterscotch colored trim seems go well with every color leather. If there is a particular color you are looking at, let me know and if I have seen it in person, I'll give you an opinion... for what it's worth.

I'm starting another reply for info on some of the other bags you asked about.

- Wexford satchel
- Bristol satchel

To continue:

I also have the Dillen Double pocket satchel. The Dillen leather is very nice too, but it's a little heavier than the Patterson leather. The Double Pocket satchel is a roomy handbag with a wide base. I don't find the 2 outside zipper pockets to be too useful.... they are small and because of the design, it takes some effort to get the zipper open and things in and out when the handbag is being carried. I use these outside pockets for a car key, and little incidentals, like hand sanitizer, lip balm, gum, etc. My old flip phone fits in them also. But that being said, I would still buy this handbag, just not giving much extra value to the outside pockets except as a design feature. Also, check the strap length... it may not be cross body.... the Dillen Double Pocket Satchel is an older design, and they didn't make many cross body straps in those days. Newer production may or may not have a cross body strap. Also, most of the Dillen Double Pocket satchels I have seen do NOT have leather trim on the inside pockets and the lining is the pink/white woven rather than the red. I prefer this woven lining (you don't find it on many Dooney handbags anymore and I think it's nice looking and heavier than the solid red cotton.
Nothing wrong with the red cotton lining, just stating my preference and the differences) The lack of the leather trim on the inside pockets isn't a big deal, but when you get used to it on Dooney handbags, it's a nice design detail and when a bag doesn't have it, you tend to notice it. It wouldn't stop me from buying the Dillen Double Pocket satchel... I have several of them.

- Wexford satchel
- Bristol satchel

Part 3: now the Bristol. This is one of my favorite Dooney styles. I own the Bristol in the Florentine leather. I haven't bought it in the pebbled leather YET. I like the look of the Bristol and the belting detail. I also find it a very functional handbag.... perfect size and wide base. The handles are hinged, so they flop out of the way when you want to get into the handbag.

I don't know about strap lengths, so check that and also the handbag dimensions, both of which may differ between the pebbled leather versions and the Florentine leather version.

A word about pebbled leather vs. Florentine leather..... I love the Dooney Florentine leather.... it's a thick leather that gets nicer over time. However.... Florentine leather can scratch and stain. Darker Florentine colors are easier to keep looking good, as water spots and grime from daily use don't show. You can't go wrong with black Florentine leather.

Pebbled leather is my go to choice for a handbag most days. It's pretty care free, easy to spot clean, and doesn't spot in wet weather.

I have a large handbag collection, so I have both Florentine and pebbled leather in my collection. Not all pebbled leather is the same.... the Dillen and Patterson collection both have very high quality pebbled leather.
I'm not familiar with the Dooney Wexford collection at all and I've never seen the pebbled leather Dooney Bristol in person. I wouldn't have any hesitation about buying one, I just can't report based on personal experience.

Hope my responses help. Feel free to ask questions.... the ladies on this forum are very helpful. Everyone's taste and handbag needs are different. The more info you can get the better choice you can make for yourself.

On another point... I've bought from Dooney outlets by phone and also from Dooney.com (sale going on now) and I Love Dooney ( ILD, the online official Dooney outlet). Returns are easiest (in my experience) at I Love Dooney (they have an online return form at a reasonable price. The last time I ordered from Dooney.com they told me to send the item back and I had to pay for shipping directly. That cost a lot more than the ILD online return shipping fee. With the outlets, you need to pay directly for the return shipping, but unlike ILD and Dooney.com, at the outlets, you generally only get a store credit. At ILD and Dooney.com, you get a refund to your credit card for returns.

Also at the outlets you pay $7.50 to get the handbag shipped to you in the first place. ILD and Dooney.com are free shipping. And be sure to ask at the outlet if the item is returnable at all. Clearance items are usually not returnable or exchangeable for even a credit.

hi lavanderjunkie! thanks so much for the detailed reply!
now that you highlighted the handles on the trina and audrey satchels, i’m now hesitant on those since i prefer handles that fold down coz i have a similar bag with handles sticking out and it’s driving me nuts when i use it. so, thank you!

between the bristol and the dillen double pockets, are these heavy bags? the heaviest bag i have is the regular coach rogue so was wondering if they’re heavier than that?

colors? i’d like a little pop of color actually in my next bag, like blue or red/pink. is the turquoise or ocean nice? what about red, strawberry, pink or bubble gum - are they they too bright and easy enough to pair with? or maybe stay with neutral like navy for my first dooney.

i’m afraid my only option for buying is through dooney site or ebay only since i’m based outside the us.

now that you highlighted the handles on the trina and audrey satchels, i’m now hesitant on those since i prefer handles that fold down coz i have a similar bag with handles sticking out and it’s driving me nuts when i use it. so, thank you!

between the bristol and the dillen double pockets, are these heavy bags? the heaviest bag i have is the regular coach rogue so was wondering if they’re heavier than that?

colors? i’d like a little pop of color actually in my next bag, like blue or red/pink. is the turquoise or ocean nice? what about red, strawberry, pink or bubble gum - are they they too bright and easy enough to pair with? or maybe stay with neutral like navy for my first dooney.

i’m afraid my only option for buying is through dooney site or ebay only since i’m based outside the us.
Are you thinking of the Bristol in Florentine leather or pebbled leather?
As for weight, I think the Bristol and the Dillen double pocket satchel
are probably similar.... neither is overly heavy, but they are not light weight bags. The QVC web site includes bag weight in the description... they might still have the pebbled Bristol listed, I don't know. The other web site that has lots of pictures and info is zappos, for styles they carry.
I don't know if they include weight of the bags.

As for color, I'm all in.... I love almost every Dooney blue shade, including the turquoises, and teals, etc. Very often the multiple shades (whether blues or pinks) are very similar.... a slight undertone difference might be visible in natural light.

I think the blues are generally very fashion flexible, so you can't go wrong.. for midtone blues the denim and ocean blue are almost identical. Side by side, you can tell the difference, the denim has 1 drop more teal in the undertone. But unless they are side by side, the colors appear the same. I will say that the denim blue is more consistent than the ocean blue in the Florentine leather. For some reason the Florentine ocean blue ranged from a vivid bright blue color to a more muted, lighter shade. I don't think you will find any Florentine ocean blue in new production. It has been replaced by the denim.
In pebbled leather the ocean blue is a darker shade, more of a coss between a light navy and a royal blue.
There are lots of different blue Dooney colors....some have a drop more teal in the undertone, some a drop more purple, and of course the darkness varies from the midnight and navy on one end to the carribean blue on the light end of the scale. Which blue you choose depends on whether you want an all year round color, the climate you live in, as well as your wardrobe and existing handbag collection. I will say that the pebbled leather dusty blue is a beautiful shade.... it's lighter than midtone, but I think a 12 month wearable color no matter where you live. The dusty blue has a drop of purple in the undertone and it's a soft shade, but not pale and not pastel. I find it works with almost every other color I can think of.

I like Dooney turquoise, but usually it's a very intense and bight turquoise. The Calypso blue is a little lighter, but still a lovely turquoise shade. As for Calypso vs. dusty blue.... the calypso is much brighter and the dusty blue is softer and more neutral.

I love red handbags and pinks too. But for reds and pinks the undertone can be a key factor in coordinating with clothing.... for the pinks especially the amount of orange undertone (or peach), versus the amount of purple undertone can make a big difference. I have lots of different Dooney pinks, but the undertone can make pairing with other colors (especially other pinks or purples) a little more challenging, if you are particular about such things.

Dooney does beautiful reds, but not all red is the same... some are true reds with a blue undertone, and some skew more to a warm red ( orange or brown undertone). I think the current crop of red in Florentine and pebbled leather are true red as they are using other names to designate some of the other shades (like cranberry, or salmon or persimmon).
And of course, red is a 12 month of the year color.

Strawberry varies quite a bit depending upon the leather collection. In pebbled leather I think it has a pink undertone... sort of a red/pink mix.
In Florentine leather the strawberry was a lighter red with orange undertones.... a totally different shade. I like the pebbled leather strawberry shade a lot. I have a satchel in that shade, from years ago. The color is deep enough to be an all season color, even in the northeast, but bright enough to be a pop of color and look great in the August heat.

One of the considerations in selecting color is what else is in your handbag wardrobe and also are you looking for an everyday use bag or one that you will rotate either for the season or with other handbags you already own.

Also, the lighter the color the more it will show dirt and wear if you carry it everyday. Pebbled leather can be cleaned with a little soap and water to remove general grime. That said, if you use a light color handbag every day you need to pay more attention to maintaining it than with a handbag of a slightly darker color. I spot clean very light colored handbags if I carry them for a week. (It takes a minute with a wet wash cloth and a little soap to go over the bottom of the bag and the corners if they have picked up any dirt or any other areas that might have gotten a coffee splash). You can't expect to have a light colored handbag returned to pristine condition if you let grime build up for months. I'm not into extensive handbag restoring or treatments or anything like that....I don[t want a project or multiple steps.... I just want my handbags to look good, clean and neat, pristine.... a minute of maintenance done regularly works well for me and my handbags. :smile:

Reactions: christinemliu

One more thought.... you can't go wrong with a Dooney in navy or red or denim blue color. All are 12 month colors and easy to work into a wardrobe. I think a red or a denim blue Dooney will provide a great pop of color, but also be fairly easy to coordinate with most wardrobe colors. Navy is the most classic of the 3 colors, but red and denim will add a nice pop to your wardrobe if your current handbag collection is more neutral shades of black, brown, tans, greys, and dark blues.

Other Dooney colors we have discussed are lovely, and I own most of them.... but how much you will love them in person is harder to judge
if you haven't seen them. Every photo shows color differently and every computer also plays with the colors/undertones, etc. If you can't see the Dooneys in person, check out a few web sites to try to get a better feel for some of the colors.... Dooney.com, zappos, QVC, and even department stores. Color might vary across different collections, but if you are looking at Dooney pebbled leather in current styles, you should be able to get an idea of what a color looks like, even if you can't see the exact handbag in the color you are researching. Good luck.

As an aside, several of our posters are 'known' for either their red or blue Dooney handbag collections. They love one of those 2 colors and either choose only that color when buying another handbag or at least favor that color when given a color option.

Are you thinking of the Bristol in Florentine leather or pebbled leather?
As for weight, I think the Bristol and the Dillen double pocket satchel
are probably similar.... neither is overly heavy, but they are not light weight bags. The QVC web site includes bag weight in the description... they might still have the pebbled Bristol listed, I don't know. The other web site that has lots of pictures and info is zappos, for styles they carry.
I don't know if they include weight of the bags.

Yes, you are right. Zappos does include weight.

If you click on "Show More Information" at the end of the description you will see the eight. Nordstroms shows the weights of the bags they carry.

thanks so much everyone!

i took the plunge and decided to go for navy for my first dooney. something classic. can’t wait for it to arrive!
already considering my next color/style

Congratulations!! I hope you don't have to wait too long for it to reach you and don't have trouble with customs, etc.

Navy in any Dooney leather is a guaranteed winner. What specific style did you get?

Congratulations!! I hope you don't have to wait too long for it to reach you and don't have trouble with customs, etc.

Navy in any Dooney leather is a guaranteed winner. What specific style did you get?

i got the navy brenna satchel coz i came across what seems to be a good deal on this style. hopefully, it will live up to my expectations.

looking out for good deals on the bristol satchel and the small satchel too coz i’m really keen to get these styles. i love the belting detail.

i got the navy brenna satchel coz i came across what seems to be a good deal on this style. hopefully, it will live up to my expectations.

looking out for good deals on the bristol satchel and the small satchel too coz i’m really keen to get these styles. i love the belting detail.

The Brenna is the version of the Barlow/ Dawson/Flynn family that's proprietary to QVC I think? I have a Large Dawson. I hope you enjoy the Brenna!
The Small Florentine Satchel, also made in various pebbled leathers, is a style I wouldn't recommend for a first Dooney unless I knew the person was accustomed to handling that sort of style: small (both short and narrow) opening with a fold over top (usually requiring both hands to unzip and no outside pocket for frequently-accessed items like phone). Knowing those issues, I only graduated to that style after practicing with the larger Medium Florentine Satchel.

Please update us when your Brenna arrives!

Have you called the Outlets? A short time ago they had the Florentine Bristol at an amazing price. I don't know if it is still available but they would be my first option. Good luck!