Help! Lambskin or Caviar boy?!

Jul 21, 2008
So I missed out on getting the medium black calfskin boy with ruthenium hardware originally and have been kicking myself ever since. I've been on different waitlists for what seems like forever now, but last week, I got lucky and was called for the pearly black lambskin with gold hardware. The issue is, I love the ruthenium hardware more since it goes more with my outfits and seems more casual...

So just now I got called for a black caviar in ruthenium hardware which is great, but that means..

1. My SA will lose out on my sale once I return the purse to her and I feel guilty for wasting her time...
2. I like how easy it is to care for caviar but don't own any lambskin purses yet and would like to own one (just terrified about scratching the bag)

Any thoughts?

Btw the lambskin is brand new and never been used so there would be no problems returning it..

Last edited:
Your heart was originally set on the caviar boy with ruthenium hardware, so I would keep this and return the pearly lamb with ghw... Don't settle for anything else than the bag you want!
And don't feel guilty for your SA - I know what you mean, but I don't think she will be angry about that or something like that and I think you'll buy again from her in the future, so that should be fine... You will find another lambskin bag in the future that you'll love, but for now I would say: go for the calfskin boy!

Caviar Boy every day of the week. That bag is killing it. Really fresh.
As for your SA, you can't spend that much money out of loyalty. I can see why you feel bad but it would make very grim financial sense to misspend to that extent. Go with your heart. You worked for that money, which bag do you truly want?

Caviar Boy every day of the week. That bag is killing it. Really fresh.
As for your SA, you can't spend that much money out of loyalty. I can see why you feel bad but it would make very grim financial sense to misspend to that extent. Go with your heart. You worked for that money, which bag do you truly want?

^^ Totally agree!

I like the softness of calf skin or lamb skin boys.

I love my lambi and caviar equally so I won't trade one for another.

But if that's what your heart sings, go for it! My SAs all understand this.

Or, you can ask her to locate one for you and return the pearly black!

You know my answer. :smile:
But I'm bias, here are my opinions, read on... If not tl;dr :smile:

1. Durability: I've been wearing my caviar boy nonstop since I got it. I never wear my lambskin more than a day at a time fearing I'll scratch it. You'll get much more wear out of caviar leather, also you can enjoy the bag without worrying as much.

2. Caviar: the black caviar on the 14b boy bags is absolutely gorgeous! It is very different from the caviar on my classic flap. It's pebbly, shiney, soft yet durable. Easy to clean, some people even wear caviar on rainy days... ImageUploadedByPurseForum1402110951.498364.jpg

3. Ruthenium hardware: for me it goes with a lot more outfits, the gun metal finish gives it a more casual feel, yet very edgy. Also no scratches in the chains after a week of nonstop using. But I imagine scratches in the chain would just add to the edgy-ness.. :smile:

Cons:
1. The flap is definitely more stiff than the calfskin and lambskin bags. This can be seen as a pro or con. A bit annoying to open up, but maybe I'm just used to the classic flap bags. The sturdiness will also help maintain the bags shape.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1402111491.348770.jpg

2. Cons cons cons, can't think of any thing else.

Lambskin is gorgeous, I cannot deny that. I think every girl should own atleast 1 lambskin bag in their collection.

Most importantly, go with the bag that makes your heart skip a beat. :smile:

Also about feeling guilty, I felt the same. I saw the caviar boy in the boutique the day my SA was off, so I ended up buying it through another SA.... I think the next chanel visit might be awkward... Maybe I'm thinking too much. I think your thinking too much too. :smile: It is a expensive purchase, got to get what you love.
Good luck!!

Go for what you originally wanted! I'll say go for the caviar. Don't feel bad about your SA losing a sale. At the end of the day, what's more important is that you're happy with your decision :smile:

Ruthenium all the way?

Fun fact:

Ruthenium is an extremely hard, shiny metal and is found in association with platinum ores. It is very rare; no more than 120 kilograms are produced per year. This accounts for the high cost of ruthenium;

The name ruthenium originates from the Latin “ruthenia” which means “Russia”, the home of the discoverer of ruthenium.

At room temperatures, ruthenium keeps its shiny, metallic surface and does not tarnish. Acids cannot damage it when it is deprived of oxygen.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your helpful responses! I'm going to let them both sit for a day or two and hopefully that might help me with my decision. They are both so pretty and unique in their own way...

On a side note, I'm comparing them side by side and I've noticed that one is made in france, one is made in Italy, and even their sizes are a tad different ~~