Help ladies!

KatherineO

lovely<3
Jul 3, 2010
Let me start off by saying I am a licensed cosmetologist but I'm looking for client/consumer help. I know the story below is kinda long but please read through it & give your opinion. This happened to me & I'm asking for opinions from others to see what else I should do. I posted this on my FB but want opinions from people who don't know me.

I need some opinions & yes this will be long but please stick with me- I've already got a lot of stylists opinions now I want client/consumer opinions. If you went into a salon, had a consultation, showed pictures, explained your hair history & got a quote for pricing then went in for your appointment, spent 7 hours there, paid almost double what you were quoted, left with half your hair wet, only to get home & discover your hair was several different colors & no where near what you asked for what would you do?

I went back, had my hair fixed only to get home & realize it wasn't truly fixed. There are still spots, it's still discolored, & it's darker in several spots than it was before. I contacted the owner of the shop, was rushed off the phone after being told that a "color correction" can never truly be priced until they get in there & see what happens & never received a call back. The funny thing is I didn't go in for color correction, I went in to go from brunette to a dark blonde. I ended up sending the stylist more photos along with an email expressing my disappointment. We had a phone discussion where she kept referencing that I was a stylist (which I am but that should hold no bearing seeing as how I was a paying client in her chair) & then told me she'd fix it one more time but if we continued with the process of going lighter she'd have to charge me by the hour because of how much hair I have.

I ended up really thinking about what she said & sent an email canceling my appointment & explaining how upset I was. I was told they don't so refunds but never signed anything stating as much & that's not posted anywhere in the salon. Since I was getting nowhere with the stylist & nowhere with the owner I put up a yelp review & contacted the BBB. I'm still awaiting the salons response but what would you guys do if you were me? I was a paying customer who is left with undesirable hair that continues to get worse as I wash it & as of now I'm out the $300 they charged me & I still have to pay somewhere else to fix my hair. This was a reputable salon & I saw a stylist with a lot of credentials so it's not like I just chose some random salon. I don't know what else to do so I'm turning to people to get their opinions. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

These 4 pics are only a handful of what I took after she "fixed" my hair. Now the root to mid shaft are still copper & discolored & what was green & ashy is now darker than what I wanted.

gosh, I feel sorry for you. although your hair doesn't look BAD, it's nothing like the agreed goal picture. I would complain. leaving with wet hair should be something they dont even allow! I would expect a full refund and my hair fixed by someone else at the salon for free. And maybe some free coffee while I'm there. We all like coffee in the hair dressers.

I hope you get it sorted, I would be devestated if my hair dresser messed my hair up, it's why I never go there. I'll do it myself and if it messes up at least it's my own fault. (although my training in hair dying when at makeup school has helped me never mess up my hair, thank god)

good luck. (ps, you're very pretty, I'm jealous)

This has happened to me and I was FURIOUS. I went in for a color correction, walked out with chemical burns and 4 shades of brass. I was quoted $200, walked out $450 deep. I could have done it myself, but this was a good rated salon so I just went for it.

I would go back and demand it be fixed or issue a refund. I'm not sure if a credit card chargeback is possible or something you want to deal with since services were rendered and it can go either way, but in my situation I was granted a chargeback because the services were not those that were agreed upon.

It is a pain in the azz and requires you to spend more money. It can be fixed, but I would NOT mess with it (color, etc) until you get back in there and they make this right. I'm sorry this happened to you, it is so traumatic :sad:

Thank you both for the responses. At this point it's not even about getting my hair fixed. I feel financially taken advantage of. I had thorough consultation, she knew how much hair I had, if every extra application is $10 why would she do over 30 applications before stopping & talking to me about the cost? She had every opportunity to stop what she was doing & give me the option to continue or not ya know?

Thank you both for the responses. At this point it's not even about getting my hair fixed. I feel financially taken advantage of. I had thorough consultation, she knew how much hair I had, if every extra application is $10 why would she do over 30 applications before stopping & talking to me about the cost? She had every opportunity to stop what she was doing & give me the option to continue or not ya know?

It's not fair. As a hair stylist, you know what is ethically correct and how she REALLY should have handled the situation which makes it even more embarrassing for that place, it's like they have no shame. Why take advantage and try to fool a fellow stylist? Big mistake. At this point, I would leave negative reviews EVERYWHERE I could about that awful place and contact your bank/credit card company ASAP and file a dispute.

I am a licensed cosmetologist but I didn't like it as a career and only worked in a salon for a year. I became an accountant.

The salon owner is being very foolish and stupid not to refund your whole dollar amount, I also think they should pay for you to have it fixed elsewhere. Bad word of mouth spreads so much wider and faster than any compliment. One unhappy client can end up costing a salon thousands of dollars.

Since the dollar amount is low your only real action (that I can see) would be to sue them in small claims court where you could go after the cost, the repair and mental/physical anguish.

I'm sorry this happened to you. The stylist and the owner are being short sighted in my opinion. Good businesses stand behind their services/products and work to have their customers satisfied, not angry and upset and reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.

I agree about filing for a charge back if you paid by credit card, you did not get what you paid for.

Hair, ugh. I have a post further down and I am an unhappy blonde. We should start a support group. First off are they idiots? They know your profession, you could be a wealth of new clients for them, they should bend over backward. I don't know if you were a "virgin" prior to this, color wise, but just from the pics I can see you "pull red", I do too and hate it. So right off I don't know how they can tell you they could match a color in a pic without knowing how your hair will react to color. That pic has a def umbre thing going on, I don't see any of that in your after pics. Going in with a pic for a cut is one thing, a color? I think the person doing it has to be very confident they can pull it off. At this point I would of lost all confidence with the place especially because they don't seem interested in making you happy. I think I would try and recoup as much money as I could from them and then, and I know this will be hard, live with what you have for awhile. It's not what you want I know that. But your hair could probably use a rest, washing it will cause the hair to fade out more quickly, if you really want it to fade give it a few washes with dish soap. I would then start from scratch. If you see a real live person with color you like ask where they get it done, and then start with consults. Be upfront about what you've been thru so they'll know what you're expecting, ask honestly if then think you can achieve this look. Most import show them the pics you have of your hair it might make it easier for them to tell if you can achieve the look you want. Chin up, it's hair, it grows. I know you're unhappy, I put in my post how important it is to be happy with our hair, it totally effects how we look everyday so I get it. But the more crazy we get doing things back to back to back the worse it is for our hair. Good luck.

Make an appointment to speak to the owner, preferably at a busy time and demand a refund.
Period.
The stylist really messed up your hair, treat you with contempt and try to make you feel guilty????? What's next????
Get your money back and go to a different salon. That is my advice.

If you paid by cc, the first thing you need to do is dispute the charge if
the owner is not going to refund you.

If the salon is not willing to correct the color, you probably will have no
choice but to try another salon.

Either your colorist was inexperienced or perhaps did not test a small area
of your hair to see how the color would take & how you would look.

If you can schedule an appointment with the owner & she would be receptive
to correcting this, that is an option.