Help! Just rescued a baby bunny from my cat!

volleyballgal

Oct 18, 2007
So I was just about to walk my dog when I noticed my cat had something in her mouth. Then I see movement!!! :wtf: So I ran over to her and was shocked to see a little baby bunny in her mouth. Snatched it before the bunny could get killed, put it in my coat pocket, and now its in a little box.
Ive placed a few cloth knapkins in there and cut up some carrots and put in some grass. But thats about it. I have NO clue what I can do to save this cute bunny! And right now, its shaking and is probably still in shock :sad:. Ive looked closely and I see no wounds/injuries.
What should I do? Whats something I can feed it so it wont be hungry? How long should I wait before I let it go? Im so worried right now!

Hello fellow Oklahoman! Aww poor bunny, glad you were able to save him! You might try calling a vet and see what they say about feeding it and all. You could also try calling a local game refuge to see if they might take it. I know some people who found baby (wild) animals and took them out to a game refuge and they took care of them until they were old enough to be released into the wild. Good luck and keep us updated!

Try calling some of the wildlife rescues/rehabilitation centers.

I know in AZ we have a few.

Good luck! So sweet of you to take care of the little fella!

And here is some more...

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, san serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, san serif] Farm Animal Rescue
rabbits and small farm animals
Sapulpa
918-227-2722
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, san serif]http://www.okpets.org/images/bird3.gif[/IMG] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, san serif]SW OK Animal Rescue[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, san serif]Small Exotic / Wildlife Rescue
Tillman County OK
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

sooner_girl20: Boomer Sooners!!!
Thank you everyone! Very helpful so far. Would it be wise to release him tomorrow morning when my cats are inside? Im worried it wont be able to finds its mom :sad:

sooner_girl20: Boomer Sooners!!!
Thank you everyone! Very helpful so far. Would it be wise to release him tomorrow morning when my cats are inside? Im worried it wont be able to finds its mom :sad:

I think I would just try to care for it on my own with the help of one of those places, or to give it to an animal rescue to care for, instead of releasing it since it has been in your house for a day now. Aren't some animals weird about other scents and then reject the babies? I don't know, maybe that is just birds! But I would call one of the suggested places and see what they recommend.

Also, my coworker has a bunny and feeds it lots of leafy greens, like cabbage, stuff like that. Not soley, but if the baby isn't eating the carrots, might be worth a try.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you the bad news, but it is best to get this babby bunny to your vet where it can be euthanized. Cats can be quite vicious in their attacks and most likely, this baby bunny cannot be saved at this point. It will not survive in the wild without it's mother at this point. The mother has probably moved her nest too, so it would be very difficult to find her. Feeding it carrots and grass won't help it either as it's GI system is not developed enough to handle those things. It needs it's mother's milk.
This is fairly common, especially now that it is spring time. I'm sure your vet will take care of things free of charge. I understand that sometimes it is really difficult to watch these things, and you had nothing but good intentions to help. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that you could have done to prevent this baby bunny from dying.

Everyone gave some really good advice. The exact same thing happened to my friend's landlord and they offered the bunny to her (and she offered it to me!), but since it was a wild one, they ended up contacting a refuge place that would take care of it until it was ready to be released back into the wild.