Help--just bought fake bag!

lilja

May 25, 2007
I need some advice. I am relatively new to eBay and I just bought a fake MJ bag. I received the bag and discovered that the inside is pleather (among other issues)! The seller has a 7-day return policy which is good, so does that mean that she would just take the bag back no questions asked? She also said "I guarantee it 100% authentic, otherwise I will return your money." Should I just contact her and say "Hey, I need to return the bag because it's fake." Do I need to contact eBay and file a claim of some sort? Or should I contact my credit card company to dispute the payment? I am not sure what I should do next, and I don't want to get into a big fight over this. Any advice on what to do would be really helpful...TIA.

you should contact the seller and tell her the bag is a fake. just maintain thorough contact with your seller and keep all all messages through ebay, not through your email. wait for a response before you file a dispute/claim. the seller might resolve the issue with you.

This happened to me with a fake LV, the seller never responded to my emails or the paypal claim. I would try to contact the seller first and see if they will give you a refund if not open a paypal claim immeditely.Hope it works out for you. I am still waiting for the remaining balance to be removed from cc. This happened in Febuary so it does take a long time.

if the seller wont comply..you'll have to file a claim with ebay...they'll ask you to have the bag authenticated by a third party...and shops dont do that...you'll have to avail of the services of sites like mypoupette or something that has a carol in it...i forgot the website

^^ It's www.caroldiva.com

Start the footwork on getting a letter of un-authenticity NOW, because PayPal will give you a tough deadline in which to get one.

Best of luck, though, on working it out with the seller first. A claim isn't always necessary in order to get your money back. Start with the seller first, then a dispute, and then a claim.

If she has a seven day return policy she should take it back without making you jump through hoops. You should be able to get your money back without filing a dispute. Once she has refunded you, she may initiate a dispute for mutual withdrawl so she gets her ebay fees back. Hopefully she didn't know it was fake and hopefully she won't try and sell it again.

Did you use PAYPAL to pay? If so, GO THROUGH them all the way.
Don't dare stick it in the mail without a 3rd party knowing what you are doing. Paypal will ask for a tracking #. Then they make sure the seller refunds your money. This is a long process, I worn you.
I got a FAKE MJ bag a few years ago myself. The seller totally denied it was fake but I was 1000% sure it was a fake MJ Stella (plastic, bad quality zippers , no RIRI,..etc...so on). UGH!
Good luck. Start the process on Paypal now. Just escalate to a claim!

Yes, the seller did get back to me. She said that I can return it and will refund me when she receives the bag. I have conducted all communications through eBay as you recommended. Thanks everybody for all your helpful advice. I will keep you posted on what happens!

i would go straight to paypal and file a claim - dont bother waiting for the sellers response, if she sold you a fake bag then chances are she will string you along for as long as she can while spending YOUR money! if you paid by cc then file a chargeback as well. make sure you get everything including shipping fees refunded, it's illegal to sell fake bags, you deserve all your money back. if the seller wants you to return the bag then they should have to pay the fees too.